News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

WR250R-Any experience?

Started by The Yeti, May 15, 2009, 11:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

Been doing a lot of reading about this bike, looks to be just about perfect for the more technical portions of the Black Hills  ;D.  Gonna go ride one tomorrow...anyone have any experience with the WR250R? Not sure if it's got enough guts to haul my fat ass around, but I'll find out tomorrow.

"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

loingrader

what's the main difference between that and the xt250?  wr more dirt oriented?
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

Well, I know the WR is considerably taller than the XT, so I would guess it's more dirt oriented than the XT.

loingrader

i see.  yea, tall is good for offroad clearance, especially if you have the height to flat foot the ground when you're on the bike.  i'm sure you won't have any problem with that.

the 250 4 strokes feel different to me.  some of them feel like hey have a ton of power.  others feel really doggy.  250 2 strokes all feel pretty strong, and the 450 4 strokes feel pretty strong too, but i'll be curious to see how that bike feels.  even if it feels a  little doggy, you can always gear it down so that it will go slower off road and that will obviously make it feel more powerful. 

as you know, plenty of power at low speeds is what you want for the hills.  leave the high speed stuff to that big katoom.

i rode a buddy's ktm250 2 stroke something out in the hills and it sucked.  was geared way too high.  when hill climbing, it would stall out if i wasn't doing 50mph.  no fun.  my little kdx200 doesn't have anywhere near the hp as that ktm did, but it has power down low and it will climb like a mountain goat.  way more fun on the techincal trails.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

fringefan

Yeti, you getting a new bike? Thing looks sweet and if I had YOUR money I would buy one.

Number Two

The XT 250 is air cooled, 7-9 inches of old tech suspension, five speed, 9.5:1 compression, carbureted, with a 32" seat height.

The WRR is liquid cooled, 10.6 inches of travel, six speed, 11.8:1 compression, fuel injected, with 36.6" seat height. 

That's a lot of difference for only $1400 more.  The XT is a tool, the WR is a weapon albeit a .22 ?

Let us know what you think.  On paper it looks like Yamaha nailed this one.

Hank

Hey Alan I'm selling my DRZ400..   just an FYI.   That definitely has the guts for a guy your size...

Lets make a deal  :D

http://sd.craigslist.org/mcy/1171430407.html

The Yeti

I really don't have the $$$ for a second bike, so I'm just kinda messin' around. Won't be buying anything anytime soon.   :(  BTW, didn't get a chance to go ride the WR this weekend.

The Yeti

(Copy and pasted from a post I just put up on ADV)

Just got back from a 30-40 minute demo ride at my dealer, 99% pavement, one little dirt road about 100 yards long.

Just to remind you guys, I'm 6'5", around 220# naked (yeah, I know I said 240 earlier, I've lost more weight than I thought lately and haven't weighed myself in quite awhile), so probably 240-250 with gear. Currently ride a 950 Adventure.

First thought when I hopped on the WRR: I feel like a monkey f*ckin' a football!  Felt REALLY small compared to the bike I just got off of.

First thought when I popped her into gear and let the clutch out: Hmmmm....not exactly a rocket, but more power than I expected.

First time I had to stop: these brakes rock! Better than my 950, but probably because there's less weight to reign in.

First time I stood up: definitely will need risers and/or high bend bars.

Got on the highway (where the f*ck is the tach?), was doing 80 before I knew it (55mph limit road).  It's really easy to go fast on this little thing!  With the lack of buffeting from my 950, the speed was very deceptive.

Seat is a plank, that's easy to fix.

Seat seems a little low (36-37" inseam) but that can be fixed with a new seat as well.  (After I got back on my 950 with Renazco tall rally seat, there really wasn't much difference, maybe an inch or two at most.)

Suspension seems to sag A LOT under my weight, may need stiffer springs(?).

When I did go off road (for all of 30 seconds), there were a couple rocks - front seemed too stiff, when I hit a rock, it hit HARD.

When I dropped off the WRR and got back on my 950: Holy sh*t!! This thing feels like I'm riding a WHALE!!  Heavy, slow to respond, harder to stop....in short, a BIG PIG.  But she does get up and go...like, RIGHT NOW!  :evil

Getting my new (to me) WRR next Thursday, can hardly wait!! I feel like a kid at Christmas!!  Can't wait to get it off-road and rip it up!!  :evil

loingrader

Quote from: The Yeti on July 17, 2009, 04:48:15 PM

was doing 80 before I knew it (55mph limit road). 

It's really easy to go fast on this little thing! 

With the lack of buffeting from my 950, the speed was very deceptive.

of all the things i thought you would say about a 250, these 3 things shocked the crap out of me, especially coming off of your katoom and being a former c14 owner.  i think you are going to have a frigging BLAST on that bike. 

congrats on the new ride!

The Yeti

Quote from: loingrader on July 17, 2009, 06:12:43 PMof all the things i thought you would say about a 250, these 3 things shocked the crap out of me, especially coming off of your katoom and being a former c14 owner.  i think you are going to have a frigging BLAST on that bike. 

congrats on the new ride!

Like I said, it's no rocket, but it has surprising get-up-and-go for a 250!

You guys who are used to riding smaller bikes are gonna have to try it out and let me know what you think.  The smallest off-road bike I've ridden was a 650, and the smallest bike I've ever ridden is a 600...I'm not very familiar with the wee ones, but this one seems like it could be a lot of fun.  ;D

Hank

I watched the youtube videos.   Looks like a fun little ripper!!

Osnabrock

Has the WRR changed any over it's brief life?  I've found an old stock '08 with zero miles for $5K, less after haggling.  Does the '10 have any improvements that I should be aware of other than the cool gold forks?  The ADV tread on the bike is soooo long and tough to search.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

JoniJo

Hi everyone.....
Congrats on the WRR Mr. Yeti!
Hope you're still healing well.
To me, a dual sport is a dirt bike you can put a plate on. The problem with that philosophy is I can't jump on the darn thing and ride it from Omaha to the Black Hills. (KLR riders cheer here!!!!!)
Y'know, when I started shopping for a "dual sport" money was defintely an issue. I wanted a WR(R) but I couldn't find one to fit the budget. Sooooo, I found this little KLX250 (the one I rode in June) and was happy with the price. Now, I had to make it mine. NEW... bars, grips, exhaust, header pipe, jetting, air box mods, tires and front sprocket. I know this is what bike people do. Buying the bike is ONLY the beginning!!! What's my point? I have no idea!!!!!!!!! Just random brain farts......
I really miss all of the people I met in June. Except for that one guy on the KLR. Guess you'll have to figure it out  ;D
                                                                                           Waiting for September, JoniJo
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

Bogus Jim

QuoteHas the WRR changed any over it's brief life?  I've found an old stock '08 with zero miles for $5K, less after haggling.  Does the '10 have any improvements that I should be aware of other than the cool gold forks?  The ADV tread on the bike is soooo long and tough to search.

The WRR changes from '08 to '10 are mostly cosmetic. Here's a list of changes:

Changes '08 to '09

Changes '09 to '10

There were a few fuel pump failures with early '08 models, most owners were able to replace under warranty. It may have been a bad batch of pumps because the fuel pump part number has not changed from '08 to '10.