News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Big bikes vs. small

Started by Fletch, March 23, 2020, 08:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fletch

I think this trickles down to the production models as well. Once you get used to a big bike it almost seems reasonable, then when you hop on a small bike you realize it isn't.  lol

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/the-bike-that-was-banned-by-the-dakar-rally/?fbclid=IwAR0jE66VP6Btiniz4QQs-u3QtCXQ7inJqMIkaxp1Rrey2EqdLq5m8Ip4Ew4
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Osnabrock

Great find! 

I remember watching the races where Coma was on the 950-990 and Cyril was on the smaller 690,  and I think the Yamaha 2 wheel drive of David Frettigne made an appearance.  Those were fun races to watch.. 
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Wacked

Great story!  Wouldn't it be fun to do a short afternoon on that beast .....

greatbuffalo

Problem was that the Yamaha 2 wheel drive system had flaws and couldn't seem to make it past 5 or so days. It was fast when it ran.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

greatbuffalo

The article wants you to believe that The KTM was the one that was banned but in fact it was determined in 02 that all large displacements would go away 2 years laters. The other teams had their last hurrah in 03 and saw money spend on developing a dying breed was pointless. Many feel that KTM, being who they are, saw an opportunity in being the only large bore mount in the lot and thus were the last to run in the unlimited class. They were not singularly banned, in the same way that Audi, or Ford or Lancia were singularly banned from Group B rallying. The class was disbanded not banned.

Unless someone can set me straight on this, that's the way I understand it.

All that being said, it does look like a fun bike bike to ride and does the old Yamaha YZE, The Honda Africa Twin, The Cagiva Elefant, the Suzuki DR Big and the BMW GSPD among a few others.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Fletch

I have no idea what went on at KTM, or any other manufacturer. I can only assume the development process was far enough along that they didn't want to abandon it until they had to. and one must admit that the fact that it led to the beginning of an 18 year winning streak would seem to suggest they made the right move? but then who knows.

and yes, I would love to throw a leg over it.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Osnabrock

Slightly on topic.  One of my dream bikes is for sale on ADV.

[url]https://advrider.com/f/threads/1985-honda-xl600-lmf-paris-dakar-3800-in-bend-oregon.1431552/[url]
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."