News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

3-Step Rendezvous - LaSal Ut

Started by Wacked, September 30, 2019, 02:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wacked

Just driving back from a great weekend of riding - only used my head for a cushion 1x.

More to follow when I'm on a full size computer

Wacked

greatbuffalo

I knew you'd have a good time.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Wacked

So, we showed up mid-day on Thursday for this Rendezvous.  Wednesday night found us camped in the dirty hippy van up Kane Creek area towards Hurrah Pass where we enjoyed a fire and eye-popping star show.  Woke up and slowly wound our way back to Moab, got a uppity coffee, some last minute supplies, and headed out towards LaSal.

When we arrived, we were warmly greeted at 3-Step by several guys who directed us where to park and unload.  Nothing hurried; just great western hospitality.  We got settled.  Wasn't really in the mood to ride as we'd been traveling for the past couple of days.

Went up on a porch and talked to a couple about Sue and my age.  Had good conversation.  Found out it was Dr. Rock and Francine.  I recalled a ride report where a young, way-ward CA high-school kid dug a scooter out of a shed, barely got it running, and with $75 in his pocket, rode it from California to Dr.Rock's place in New York city.  That kid had ballz!....   and this was the Dr.Rock of ADVrider fame.

Later chatting for a bit, I had the itch to get on a bike and check out the area.   Dr.Rock invited me to go on a off-road/exploratory ride up to the top of a mesa just south of the ranch; he suggested we should take his motopeds up there.  Motoped??? - it's a cross between a mini bike/mountain bike/motorcycle.  It's a pretty competent a 2-wheeled motor contraption; semi gut-less but smile producing.  We beat our way up gully washes ( it was mildly abusive but not as rough as Mike's floggings) and made our way to the top.  We didn't want to go down that path again, so we worked our way across the top of the mesa, hoping to avoid any private land issues.  NO such luck.

We were met by a 1/2 toothless dude with his red Ford truck parked cross-ways in the road and standing there in his "Monty Python" fleece pajama bottoms who "informed" us that this was private property.  He didn't have a gun and was pretty civil about it.  After taking our tongue lashing, we got to the road and took off back to the ranch.  I got a mile from the ranch an my chain started popping off.  Had to put it on 4-5 times and decided I was glad this didn't happen up the mesa.

Got back, went to the shop and started fiddling/fixing that Chinese chain tensioner.

So, what I didn't know, is that I had accidentally bumped into a quiet ADVrider celebrity roast/appreciation event.  This became more obvious as the night evolved.

Wacked

This Rendezvous happens every Fall, but some of the powers to be wanted to honor Mark Sampson - aka "BIGDOG" for all his early efforts in writing up reports, navigating big routes, making those routes public, and generally revving up the ADVrider community when this was somewhat of a fledgling sport/riding style.  As I thought about it, he had a huge influence getting me back on a bike in 2008 - i bought his GPS tracks for the GDR, loaded them on a Garmin, and did my first big adventure with my daughter. 

In the outside dining area, friends awarded him with plaques and art, roasted BigDog, recounted stories of travels.  When that was done, a live musician played as we sat by the camp-fire under Western skies.  Sitting to my right was Neduro - yep, from privateer DAkar fame.  He has a bitchin FJ45 Landcruiser we talked about - I need to check it out tomorrow - he was up here in the BH this summer and raved about our single-tracks.

Across the fire was RTWPaul.  Tomorrow, I'll be helping to fight a tubliss tire of his in the shop.  Don't know a lot about Paul.... cool mellow guy who's been on the road 8.5 years 80-some countries on several different bikes.  Now on a kitted out KTM500; Its set up nice and nothing about it looks babied.

Tonight, everybody is around the camp-fire.  Stars are out again.  The air is perfect.  And this abandoned Dude ranch is quite the place to be........

greatbuffalo

RTWPaul spent time as a chopper builder if my memory serves me correctly.

He had a 12 S10 and many of his mods I did to mine. He road that S10 for quite some time with a girlfriend.
He's a talented ride report writer.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Wacked

Friday came and the usual group dynamics kicked in ..........   who to ride with, where to ride, can they ride, yada ....  yada .... yada

Went out east with 3 others towards Island Mesa.  Tiger 800 from Denver, Short dude on a KTM500 from CA, and Husky 350 from WY, and me on the 640.  It actually turned out to be a pretty cohesive group with similar riding styles.   Island Mesa is a high desert area with some scenery.  A lot of rocks, and a gnarly downhill that smoked my rear brake - Nothing.  It wasn't there.  Threw some water on it to cool it down and got a lot more intentional about using my front brake for the rest of the descent. 

Scenery was OK, but I like the stuff westward towards the river a bit more.   Made it back to camp after about 3 hours and debated our next journey.  I was pushing for Lockhart canyon BUT as we put some numbers/timing to that route, we decided we'd only have a hour  of trail time.  Nix'd that idea.  Per Scott's suggestion, went to a Riding area about 15 miles away to the NW.

This riding area was fun!  Just random trails that wove around 1 or 2 scenic mesa's.  Most of the trails were in rough shape and 1/2 washed out.  Slower pickings on the big bike and wishing the Princess was there.  We rode until someone pulled the "I'm flogged and tired card".  We turned around and went down all the stupid stuff we'd just come up .......   That's when my front-end washed out and I got to use my head as a cushion.  Bike was OK - good boots and knee pads were also a plus for this particular "Off".  Somehow got my foot pinned and knee twisted during event.

On the next big descent, Husky guy had his bike fly off trail and down into a tree - That was better than 10' on either side of the tree because that would have been WAY down into the ravine and we'd have been lifting that bike outta there into the night.  While waiting for the Husky situation to resolve, I bent the left side of my Hepco tank guard back into place and noticed that my right guard had a broken mount/weld.

Finally got down into the valley and slabbed it back to 3-Step.  On the way back, running it at 75 or 80, I noticed some super lite hesitation/lurching.  Whatever, not in the mood to think about it for now.  Made it back in time for a shower and great Pork-Chop dinner.

There's some push for a White-Rim-Ride tomorrow.  Hmmmmm...   That would be a 260/270 mile day and I've sworn not to go over 200 miles or 8 hours because it just gets painful.

We'll see. 

Wacked

Day 3 in LaSal

OK, decided to do White Rim trail.  Really don't want to do all those miles, but it's an Iconic trail - bucket list type place.

I get up a little early to do some lite bike tiding and prepping.  Oil the the chain;  the broken weld on the right guard should be fine for the day;  load up my tail bag  ......  what is that high-RPM-hesitation I bumped into last night?  Maybe I should check the air filter.  NASTY - it is clogged bad!

Out comes the filter but there's a big tear in it.  Crap, game over - I go to announce this to my riding buddies - no WRT today.  Scott overhears the discussing and talks about going old school and put a stocking over the busted up filter.  It makes sense; lets do it.  I wolf down some breakfast then run out to the shop to clean the broken filter and fashion a pre-filter something to go over it.  I put some mineral spirits in a tray - as soon as that filter got litely kneaded, it dissenegrates to nothing.

As this has been going on, Scott has sauntered out and has been digging around corners of his shop.  He takes one look at those foam parts that were a filter and says I'm screwed.  He digs up a WR250R filter as says this is all he can find - probably won't work.  I play with it around my filter basket frame  and - dang - I think it could work.  Shapes are somewhat different but it's not bad!  A couple of minutes oiling and greasing that filter and then install it on the 640.

We're off! - a little later than hoped. 

We slab it hard to the North side of Moab and then fill up with gas.  Husky guy has borrowed 2-1 quart bottles - he's thinking his range is 130ish.  We head up Potash road and then Schafer trail to check in.  From the Ranger station, we head North another 7-10 miles and then start the WRT in a counter-clockwise direction. 

So, the WRT is cool.  More scenic on the South side than the North.  There is a fair amount of traffic on it from mountain bikers to 4x4's to people heading down the river with canoes.  To beat yourself through it in 1 day, you don't get to stop and see the variety of vistas and land-scapes.  So pretty much, we just flogged ourselves through a 120-140 trail of rocks, curves, and dust with random others who had the WRT on their bucket list.  No good stories to tell.  No good wipe-outs.  A couple of Dick drivers - but we ran across some nice people to make up the difference.

We popped back out at the upper side of Moab about 5:15.  Husky guy ran out of gas 3 miles from the gas station.  We laid his bike down on the left side  to get all the gas out of the Right wing.  It made it to the station.  One quick beer stop and then we slabbed it hard South to LaSal. 

Arrived at 3-steps 6:31pm - 1 minute past the ringing of the supper bell.  I needed a shower.  The food will probably stay warm for a while