News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

I've had enough of Covid 19 already

Started by Abercrombie, April 07, 2020, 12:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abercrombie

I'm not liking what I'm seeing for 2020 riding season.  2019 was a failure for my out of state rides so I had big plans to make up for it this year.  The first trip on the agenda was a Yamaha Tenere rally at Marble Falls Arkansas the last weekend of April that has been canceled.  The following weekend was a Yamaha FJR rally in SE Ohio the first weekend of May which has just been canceled.   If I could swing it I was thinking about squeezing in a FJR rally in Dubuque, Iowa the weekend before the DDSR spring rally but that has now been canceled.

Somebody please tell me that this Covid 19 shit will be done by the middle of June.  I don't know if I can handle missing the DDSR spring rally or a Red Lodge MT Yamaha FJR rally the following weekend.

The Motorcycle school in Fargo is also on hold.  We started out moving the first class back two weeks until the 16th of May but now that has been put on a wait and see status.  I'm tired of this shit show!   I need some two wheel therapy.

Hank

I hear ya!   I have a new Motus sitting in Colorado I was supposed to be riding home about now.   Who knows when that will actually happen!
I'm wondering when they will start closing state parks and that will be the end of camping too...

Kevin

Agreed, the situation sucks.  On the positive side, all of my bikes are pristine and ready at a moments impulse to go...
Look ahead and you'll shred...

sandhillrider

Nebraska closed its state parks over the weekend and the National Forest service closed their improved camping areas a couple weeks ago in Nebraska. At this point both are still allowing open camping where permitted on state and federal lands. Got the Beta out yesterday for a bit. Was a nice release of stress. Sure hope by June this mess has run its course.

locopny

Right there with ya.
Aside from some "essential" riding trips... All I'm getting done is a whole bunch of home projects.
I get those done I can do more 'garage type's projects.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

greatbuffalo

Hank, a new Motus?? I have been intrigued by those but had a hard time getting past the price of entry.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Hank

Yeah I got a Motus.     I'm sure you heard they folded in Sept 2018 after only making 200 bikes.
I test rode one in early 2018 and loved it, but same deal, the price was too steep for me.

Fast forward a year and there are still a dozen or more sitting at dealers, who are now getting very anxious to move them out.   So I made an offer I could live with (very steeply discounted) and made a deal.

There are still a handful on cycletrader.

There is a pretty good community and one guy (Motus of New England) who has become the guru for all things Motus.   He's gone as far as coming up with replacement engine parts (pistons, valves, other proprietary things) to keep them on the road.      Fortunately the Motus is made up of a lot of parts from other bikes so most of the little bits are available.    The tail section came from a Kawi, the head light and signals are KTM spec, the clutch is from a Hayabusa, the alternator is from a Honda Prelude, the oil filter is common automotive stuff.. Some of the engine parts are Chevy LS1 spec.. etc etc.     They also outsourced a lot of the parts to the aftermarket from the start.    The seats were made by Sargent.     Body work is probably the one thing that would be really hard to find.

So.. we'll see how it goes!

tannerc

:o 
That is awesome!
you gotta be thinking of a secret operation plan to sneak down there and get it. SD and WYO not on lock down yet... that'll get you close.. Hmmm
We must see this machine.

Quote from: Hank on April 08, 2020, 08:25:50 AM
Yeah I got a Motus.     I'm sure you heard they folded in Sept 2018 after only making 200 bikes.
I test rode one in early 2018 and loved it, but same deal, the price was too steep for me.

Fast forward a year and there are still a dozen or more sitting at dealers, who are now getting very anxious to move them out.   So I made an offer I could live with (very steeply discounted) and made a deal.

There are still a handful on cycletrader.

There is a pretty good community and one guy (Motus of New England) who has become the guru for all things Motus.   He's gone as far as coming up with replacement engine parts (pistons, valves, other proprietary things) to keep them on the road.      Fortunately the Motus is made up of a lot of parts from other bikes so most of the little bits are available.    The tail section came from a Kawi, the head light and signals are KTM spec, the clutch is from a Hayabusa, the alternator is from a Honda Prelude, the oil filter is common automotive stuff.. Some of the engine parts are Chevy LS1 spec.. etc etc.     They also outsourced a lot of the parts to the aftermarket from the start.    The seats were made by Sargent.     Body work is probably the one thing that would be really hard to find.

So.. we'll see how it goes!
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."

greatbuffalo

Thats cool Hank. I have always like the bike. The Chevy connection was weird and the one thing that has stuck in my head since the start of the design process when the first article hit Cycle News.

Always wanted to ride one. Did you get the standard or the R model?
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?