News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

14 tooth front sprocket?

Started by Jared, May 19, 2009, 01:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared

Hi dudes,

I'm riding to WA in July with a couple of V-Stroms, and based on how my KLR has done both to Chicago and San Diego by myself, I'm worried about being able to keep up with 'em.
Is the 14-tooth front sprocket the thing for freeway travel?
Easy to change?  And can I use my same chain?

loingrader

i've heard it is ideal to keep the rpm's at 5000 or below for long periods of time on the klr, and a bigger front sprocket would help with that.  i've done many hours at 80+ mph on my klr with stock gearing with no ill effects.

the sprocket change is pretty easy. 

how many miles are on your chain, and how far back is your axle adjusted.  if it is still a new chain with your axle towards the front of the adjustment range, it may be tight with a bigger sprocket.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Caseyjones

depending on year, I believe stock is 15 tooth, if your going to do some hiway cruizing then either stick with the 15 tooth or go to a 16. I do enough road traval that I will buy the quick change sprocket nut from Eagle Mike and a 16t for road trips.  I was just in Chicago from here on my street bike. When (if I ever must) I repeat that trip I will in all certianty use a 16t front for all that open road usage.

I have read more about poeple using the 14t for moderate to heavy offroad use. Of course I invite the KLR gurus to drag me over the coals if I have my facts wrong with anything KLR specific.

Jared

Oh ya now that I think of it it was 16! That's why I asked before buying lol. ;D
I think Mr. Flexie did a 16 on his DR ya?

fringefan

I used the 14t this last weekend and loved it. Had no problem keeping up on the pavement and  as expected the rpms where a little higher but offroad she made me smile.