News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Flat Tires - new tubes vs patches ????????

Started by Lonesome Dave, May 25, 2020, 09:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lonesome Dave

Everyone gets a flat now and then.  The discussion is whether or not you carry a new or maybe just cheap tube to fix the flat, or do you carry a patch kit and simply patch the tube.  Either way, get 'R' done, be on your way, and back to enjoying the day.  But, what happens after the day or when you get back home and want to go again tomorrow.  Do you leave the patch and go? Or, do you put in a good tube in that night and go.  Or maybe, as in my case, you leave the patch on and it continues to hold air.  So it should be good, right?

Okay, as we all know, everyone is full of advice around here.  Mark says; carry an extra,. tube patches never hold.  Rob says; I just carry a patch kit, I don't have room for an extra tube, it's good enough to get you home.  Then change the tube.  Gerry says; Patches are okay, and I've had them hold until the tire wears out, but not always!  (Hmmm)  Furthermore, if you patch the tire and it holds for the rest of the day it's PROBABLY okay.  If it holds until next week or maybe next month it will hold forever.  Bold statement.

Okay, everyone knows me, I'm lazy.  Gerry's reasoning seems like the best advice for me.  But, I'll take it a step further.  If the patch lasts the rest of the day, it holds for the next week, it goes on a few short rides in the fall, another short ride or two during the winter, and then does fine on an early spring ride of about 100 miles, it's good forever.  Right?

Well for me, the jury was out until the 100 mile ride.  Gerry was right, it will last forever.  I was back and forth on this, and actually bought a new Ultra HD tube to put in, but of course never used it.  Didn't have to, it will last forever.

So this weekend, I'm on my first official trail ride of this year.  We all met at Sugar Shack on Saturday morning.  We had a couple of groups riding.  So I end up taking the lead into an area I really like.  All the guys say they really like the trail too, and everything is going good, at least for the first 20 minutes.  Then I start feeling this wobble, wobble.  I stop, I'm looking, Dan pulls up next to me, 'dude your tire is flat!!!!!'  Great, and about that time it started to rain.  Now we're having fun!  And, I'm also thinking, I'm going to catch a ton of shit from Mark and Grubbie over this.

So I'm not going to tell you we changed the tube or patched it, because, well, nobody had anything with them.  I mean, no tools, no patches, no tubes.  Where is my buddy, Grubbie, he would save me.  I rode it up to the top of a hill for a cell signal and told everyone to take off.  I'll figure out something.  I made a few phone calls and got my rescue started.  As I sat there, I wondered the obvious; did the patch fail or did I pick up something new.  Knowing I'm going to have to live this one down, and I have nothing to do except wait for my rescue, I figured I should just get it over with.  So I call Grubbie over in WY.  He's the last one to fix this tire.  Actually, Mark, Grubbie, and Gerry all fixed this tire during the last fall rally.  You can imagine his reaction.

So without further ado, the answer to the big question.  Did the patch hold?  NO, nada, no way!  It split out the side and the rubber on the tube was all eaten up.  So, after taking 8 long months of study and patience on the patch fix, the jury has reconvened.  Dave will carry a cheap tube with him and change to a HD tube later.  I still probably won't have any tools, but that will be for another study.

Older - Wiser - Faster !

sandhillrider

To set the record straight. I had the tools, patch kit and a air compressor.
Dave  just didn't want to sit in the rain and repair it. As it turns out we couldn't have fixed it anyway if it was split. I will now also carry a extra tube with me. Started putting the kit together already.
SO Dave

I told you to change it last fall 🏍🏍🏍

Fletch

while I would love to harass Dave, but I have no comment so as to not be affected by bad juju from the trail gods....
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Hank

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: sandhillrider on May 25, 2020, 10:53:41 PM
To set the record straight. I had the tools, patch kit and a air compressor.

This is my story, I'll remember it the way I want to!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

gerry1eye

Dave I remember seeing Chinese writing on that patch we put on your tube. Pretty sure if you used a Jap patch you would not have had a problem.
fearless to fear of falling - warranty has expired.

sprout

Todays tubes have very little actual rubber in them. Some will not hold a patch no matter what you do. I was going to ks. one day through KC on the bmw on a day when it was very hot. Fully loaded with camping gear, the patch came unglued and went flat at I35-I29 junction. Pulled over and stuck a new tube in her in front of a grocery store. Got some funny looks, more than usual. I forgot to air the tire back up to carry the extra weight and this caused the tire and tube to get hot.

As far as using patches, I would guess its maybe 50/50. I always carry a front and rear tube, tools, compressor and patch kit. Im close with my money so will continue to patch them!! :o