News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Need some mechanic/shop advice (non DS)

Started by jacin theis, May 02, 2020, 08:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacin theis

Looking for some advice. My wife inherited her sisters 2013 Triumph Bonneville. This bike was at a shop in Long Beach, CA when her sister passed in august. The short version is we finally got the bike back minus all the money paid up front and some parts, but nothing but disassembly had happened.

It had broken a valve spring and dropped a valve. Piston looks undamaged. I know it needs a valve guide replaced and a broken stud removed from the head. After that I think its just assembly. I have 6 new valves in hand and will order the other 2 (not sure why the shop hadn't just done them all since they were that far). The bike has an aftermarket head and some other performance items.

I intended to drop the bike at Erico Motorsports in Denver on my way though yesterday, but they won't even return phone calls, so I have little faith in getting the bike on the road through their service department. Does anyone know if Rice in Rapid has a good Triumph mechanic and how their service is? I have not had very good experiences there over the years. Am I better off taking the head to a machine shop and then completing the work myself? Is anyone here in the hills interested in helping me if I tackle this? Is there anything finicky about Triumphs (timing or setting valves)?

Thanks guys for all your posts.  Life has gotten in the way of ridding for a while so I love to keep up with you all here in the forum.

Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Fletch

I've had the same experience as most in the past, but I think Al is a great mechanic. I would talk to him. 
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Wacked

There's a small-time Triumph freak/mechanic/shop owner in Paynesville MN that I would trust.  I'm thinking he would be a good source for parts and tech info or actual repair

I can look up the name if you want

locopny

Haven't met you yet but hopefully someday. Can't offer advice on mechanic but condolences on your sister in laws passing.
Around here we tend to do it all our self.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

greatbuffalo

Jacin, you may want to contact The Bonneville Shop in Broomfield CO. 1-720-570-7884

If nothing else, they could at least give you some advice. And as you know, all you would have to do is tell them who's bike is was, they will bend over backwards. She was a legend.

It was also mentioned that a call to Wyotech may be a option.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

jacin theis

Thanks guys. My wife and I stopped at Rice today. The service writer brought the mechanic out to look at the head and the parts we were able to get back from the Long Beach shop. He seemed pretty solid, so we left it. It should just be a basic valve replacement (plus a damaged guide) but I was concerned a dealer wouldn't want to touch the performance aftermarket parts.

I was on the fence about doing this one myself due to the sentimental value and my tendency to just want to be done and run it.

Wacked, do they have anything beside snowmobiles and bass boats in Minnesota?????

Dan, I will be checking out The Bonneville Shop. They aren't taking visitors due to the governors mandate or I would stop there on my way back through. Can't wait to see my wife ride it. She was a little emotional today at the shop. Will be good to see her keeping her sisters spirit alive on two wheels!
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS