News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Explore Southern Hills Route - 8/30

Started by Wacked, August 26, 2020, 10:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wacked

Need to do some looking around for a Southern Hills route for this upcoming DDSR - Whos in for a Sunday AM run way south and Westward?

Wacked

Fletch

I'll be out of town, otherwise I would go.

stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

greatbuffalo

Wish i could....

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Lonesome Dave

Maybe.........probably......

Call me in a day or two.

Gerry Where are you?
Older - Wiser - Faster !

gerry1eye

fearless to fear of falling - warranty has expired.

Wacked

OK. Let's meet at Gerry's house 9am......   be there!

Wacked

Had a great day with Lonesome and 1Eye - Logged just short of 200 miles from RC and back. 

Might call this the Rattlesnake Run.  A mix of road-time - then 2track. Back and forth.  Did many trails none of us have seen before.  Swooped down across Pilger and found a sweat exit.  Ended up on Elk Mountain.  This trip is suitable for the mid-size adv bikes.

Might do it at the rally

Wacked

Lonesome Dave

Well Wacked has done it again!  "Rattlesnake Run" was a lot of fun, and we didn't see one snake.  But, I'm betting they were there.  As he said, it has Hwy, two track, gravel, two track, trail, two track, and back to Hwy.  We went into the trees south of Pringle on a trail I've been past many times and always said to myself, "I wonder where that goes!"  Basically lost or confused most of the time, but didn't really care!  (Brad's problem)  We stayed south of Pringle by many miles and worked our way west towards Pilger Mountain and then across the sandy top.  This run travels along the very southern edge of the Black Hills.  In fact, at times you can see Edgemont.  Then to the top of Elk Mountain Fire Lookout (over by Newcastle,WY)  Great views up there. 

Start to finish, Custer to Custer, about 112 miles and NOTHING in between.  No gas, no food, no water, and most importantly, NO UTVs!  Not one!  Actually, not anyone!

I think this might be a keeper.

This could easily be changed by crossing Hwy 16 and going into the Jasper Burn area on the return trip to Custer.

Older - Wiser - Faster !

grubbie

And all I could do was smile and wave as you pulled away. I was thankful for the dust you left in your wake, it kept you from seeing the tear falling from my eye through your rear view mirrors. Ride on, boys.............ride on.

sandhillrider

Grubbie i see the makings of a hit song in your post.

locopny

87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

gerry1eye

fearless to fear of falling - warranty has expired.

Wacked

Round TWO - It was a really weak one!!!

So Dave and I half had the idea to go out and scout a route again today.  The trouble was, we weren't really in the mood to be on a bike.  Dave used all of his bike inspiration yesterday in the 100 degree heat.  I, on the other-hand was just pissy and not looking forward to billowing UTV dust clouds.

We headed west from Dave's house, behind Pactola and west-ward towards Wyoming. Weather was great and not too many 4-wheelers out raising dust.  We made it somewhere west of Mystic and I decided to show Dave a trail that he hadn't been on.  As we stopped for water and snack, we decided the weather guys lied and it was just too hot to continue on-ward.

On the way out, we spied some new trails - this is when our attitude changed.  We explored those trails and got some booty kicking.  Dave pondered the philosophical question - similar to "if a tree falls in the woods, did it make a noise?" - If there is a wipe-out in the woods and nobody see's it, did it really happen?   I can't answer such deep thoughts, but did have a good time exploring some new country.

After arguing if we should take tar back to Hill City or dusty trails and roads over to Sugar Shack - we beat foot back to Sugar Shack for a cold drink.

It was a short day.  We never made Wyoming.  We didn't even find a DDSR route.

But hey, we had fun doing it

Wacked

Lonesome Dave

I'm just tired of picking up that damn DR.  Twice today, and the Tiger once yesterday along with the wifey!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

If you wipe out in the woods and get going again before anyone sees it, it didn't happen.   Even making me look better than I really am for years!
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike