News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Spring Rally June 17-20, 2021

Started by greatbuffalo, October 12, 2020, 07:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wacked

HEY GUYS IT'S MOTHERS DAY NEXT WEEK - BE NICE TO MAMA SO SHE WILL LET YOU COME OUT TO RIDE ON FATHERS DAY WEEKEND!

Thats right, the DDSR Spring Rally is only 1.5 months away.  Get signed up at the campground.  Ask your boss for time off! 

This year it's in a new place.  We've tried to position ourselves more in the middle of the riding country.  The food is good if you don't want to cook.  We should have a better "common meeting" place than last year.   There will be some group dining this year - communal suppers Friday and Sat.

Just a reminder - bring some type of navigation with you!!!  C'mon, your buddies might leave you in the woods because you take too many pee breaks or they wanted to go home to get out of the rain....   You need to have a way to drag your own tail out of the woods.    If you a Garmin person cool;  If not or you are just a plain cheep-ass like Sprout, then down load the FREE Avenza system onto your smart phone.  The 3 maps that you need are MVUM Northern Hills Ranger District,  MVUM Mystic Ranger district, and MVUM Hell Canyon Ranger District

See you'all soon

Wacked

greatbuffalo

What he said.....

Thank you Brad.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Fletch

So I'm a cheap-ass because I use avenza????
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

greatbuffalo

Me.too

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Wacked

Fletch - it's cheaper AND better.......   you just picked the most appropriate navigation tool.   

Fletch

haha.. I feel better now, thanks... but I'm not sure what Sprout my get you into on trail for that??
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

locopny

I really like Avenza.  Cant wait to use it some more.

signed- frugal rider that has almost mastered a smart phone.
almost.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

Wacked

Flea Market Tradition

Guys -

We are one month out from an awesome get-together where tall tales will be told, egos will be changed, and dust will be eaten .....  for some reason, off-road riders think this is fun!?   

Make sure your camping sites are reserved and that you've downloaded some type of mapping system.

That brings me to a DDSR tradition that takes a little preparation - bringing some of your unused or old motorcycle stuff to the Rally and pawning it off to another attendee.  Go dig around your garage space this next week and see what kind of clothing or parts need to be moved on to another rider.  We'll set up a couple of tables Sat. afternoon and night so you can display your treasures.

See you in a month!

sandhillrider

As of yesterday Custer Crossing campground is full.
We booked a spot at Roubaix lake campground.
It is a Park Service campground and you book it online.
There are no services, so bring your generator.

Wacked

Good to know - Just rode thru that area last night and there may also be some boon-docking back to the east of the camp if that's your thing

Lonesome Dave

Quote from: Wacked on May 20, 2021, 12:47:14 PM

Good to know - Just rode thru that area last night and there may also be some boon-docking back to the east of the camp if that's your thing

Brad, remind me to talk about this area when we get together tonight at Dakota Point. 
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

I think its becoming ever apparent that when we make these plans 8 months ahead of time, that is the time to make reservations. You can always cancel if it doesn't work out.

Was at Custer Crossing for breakfast. Had a conversation with Laurie. She was trying to get a handle on how many will be in for breakfast each morning. I said maybe 20. She was thinking if it more than that she would do a breakfast buffet to make the logistics easier for them. She also mentioned that may be a bit short handed as is the rule in the Hills this summer. Please be patient with them.

I took a ride to the Northwest. There could be some boondocking spots off of Custer Crossing Rd.  Will do a bit more scouting the week after next.

NDave

I got last spot at fish n fry last week

toadl

I have many problems but here is a couple.  It's been many years since I attended the DSDR.  My kids were pretty small at the time. 
I know it says bike must be street legal, but my kids 11, 13, and 15 want to come.
Will there be a group that will ride mostly single track and mostly stay off 385?  My youngest and oldest will probably enjoy easier stuff.  My 13 year old will want to ride anything you throw at her.
I'm usually wrong

Wacked

Toadl -

One of pieces that made Custer Crossing appealing was it's quick access to the small trails - just 1/2 mile down the road you can jump on the Nemo trail system or go to the West and get into the Experimental Forest system and wander your way down to Pactola or across to Rochford.  Especially the stuff West of 385 should be kid friendly and you'll be able to spend several days exploring those trails.

I don't think anybody will get snippy if you bring a trail bike w/o road tags.  But the reality of the Hills are that the trail systems are not fully connected; so you tend to ride an area - pop out - go a couple miles down the road and then jump into another area and ride it out.  Thats why registration is discussed.