News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Forest Service proposed trails

Started by gerry1eye, March 26, 2021, 11:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerry1eye

Hey motor-bikers the Black Hills hiking group does want you to have some neat new trails. Time to contact Forest Service and put in a good word for the proposed single tracts. See hiker comments below.

The Forest Service is considering making Shanks trails official, but the current proposal is to mix in motorized trails in the current hiking/biking areas.
The Black Hills has a thousand miles of great off-roading trails.  If you've spent any time in other national forests you'll recognize that the number of trails for ATV, motorcycles, etc, is actually much more dense than those other forests. 
Shanks is a relatively small area for motorized use, but a great size for running, hiking and biking.  If it sounds like the proposal doesn't make any sense, it is because the proposal doesn't make any sense.
The "Shanks Trail Proposal" can be found at this page (below).  You can look at a PDF map on one of the links at the bottom of that page to see the motorized trails they want to scatter in with non-motorized traffic.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=59592...

What can we all do about this?  One step we can take to help avoid this dreadful outcome is to send a courteous email or traditional letter to:
Benjamin Schumacher
Black Hills National Forest All Units
1019 N. 5th Street , Custer, SD, 57730
bschumacher@fs.fed.us
Thank you for you attention reading my post.  Double thank you if you take the time to send friendly feedback to the Forest Service. 
I hope everyone has a great time hiking in our beautiful Black Hills!
fearless to fear of falling - warranty has expired.

loingrader

I can't  get the map to pull up but in my opinion, motorized and non motorized recreation sharing an area which likely does not have great long range visibility seems a bit dangerous.  Maybe the trails have some good separation that is obvious?  Otherwise I would probably side with the hikers (whom I would rather not plow into).

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Lonesome Dave

Sorry I was so slow in getting this out.  If you read the letter below it's really all about numbers when dealing with the Forest Service.  The more of us that simply state their interest in opening trails that have loops, circles, reduced dead ends is what we need.  And, the most important part, multi-use type of terrain.  This area is no different than any other part of the hills.  Numerous people use the same areas.  I'm not very fast, but I can NOT think of a time that a hiker was almost hit by a fast moving single track guy.  Furthermore, if someone is hiking or cycling, they know your coming and grab the dogs and simply stand off the trail.  Unless you stop to say hi, your gone in 30 seconds.  This area will never be "Nemo" type of traffic but likely would increase a little, over what it's been in the past years.

This is not a huge area, and there is a lot of private property in and around this area.  But this is the same area that bicyclist's have created their own trails without permission from the Forest Service.  It looks to me FS is considering joining them not fighting them anymore.  The single track in there could easily be multi-use.  And, simple make more loops or extensions.  Consider jumping on the trails at Schroeder Road, heading west, through Bogus Jim area and then continuing west of Hwy 385 to where ever.  Right now, it's possible, but not easy or necessarily completely legal.  I'm just saying we need to fight/comment and have our voice heard.  We have the numbers, and we need to comment.

From Off-road Rider Association
To all Off-Road Riders,

ALERT! - ALERT! - ALERT!

Please find attached a file that contains information from the Black Hills National Forest about the Shanks Trail Proposal Project.

It is VERY important that you read it and submit comments post marked or emailed no later than 5pm on March 31, 2021.

I assure you the anti-access crowd WILL submit comments and they don't want to improve the trails, they want to close them.

If you are not familiar with the area in question or don't know what to say, please submit something (even if it's very basic).

Here are some suggestions for comment topics:

• I appreciate all improvements you make to the trail system.

• Please work harder to connect trails and areas

• Please try to make more loops in the trail system

• Please have fewer dead end trails

• Please connect the Shanks area to the Bogus Jim area

• any other thoughts or comments you may have

Thanks everyone for doing your part.

Patty Brown
President, Off-Road Riders Assn.

Another email I received;

Done.

And, I might suggest throwing in the term "multi-use" singletrack.  Other states are doing this successfully and it would be good for us to get this working in our forest.  They are much more likely to give us more miles if they can be multi-use vs. moto use.

Ryan McFarland / Instagram @StriderDad

Founder/Pres./CEO | Strider Sports Int'l, Inc. | 605-342-0266 | #StrideOn

Founder/Member | All Kids Bike - nonprofit |605-956-3877 | #AllKidsBike

Older - Wiser - Faster !

loingrader

That makes sense Dave, thanks for chiming in!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

I sent Mr. Schumacher a support email.
Hope everyone does!

Lonesome Dave

Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Lonesome Dave

First send your letter to email;   comments-rocky-mountain-black-hills-mystic@usda.gov   (They will send a confirmation email back.)

Subject; Shanks Trail Proposal Project

I addressed it; Ben Schumacher

It has to be there by 5 pm today. 

If you're trying to think what to say.............

Basically just tell them thank you for considering this project.  We need more connecting trails or loops in the Black Hills, and this is a great way to lower the cost of construction by providing "multi-use" activities for the same dollar spent.

Okay, now I'll shut up! 

Thanks everyone, LD

Older - Wiser - Faster !

locopny

87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

Wacked

Harry Potter

Done. Is any single track riding happening yet?
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.

grubbie

locopny

Got an update email from this today but have not looked at yet...says not appealable and can be implemented at anytime.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

gerry1eye

Looks like we will get 5.5 mile of motorcycle trails - plus more UTV trails.
Only 84 written responses to original proposal, So all that sent e-mails - great work and our voices got heard!
Link to doc with map on page 5   https://www.fs.usda.gov/nfs/11558/www/nepa/115325_FSPLT3_5646559.pdf
fearless to fear of falling - warranty has expired.

Fletch

Quote from: Harry Potter on March 31, 2021, 06:00:58 PM
Done. Is any single track riding happening yet?

Of course!  I'm up for some about any weekend (except this one as I'll be in Red Lodge). just let me know when you want to go .
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike