Colorado's Alpine Loop - The PASSES! Imogene, Black Bear, Engineer, Cinnamon & M

Started by Chipper, April 23, 2021, 11:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chipper

Colorado's Alpine Loop - The PASSES! Imogene, Black Bear, Engineer, Cinnamon & More!

Details
Event by Chip Monahan
Ouray KOA Holiday
Aug 18 at 8 AM CDT – Aug 23 at 8 PM CDT
Price: Free · Duration: 5 days

Colorado's San Juan Mountains which are FULL of amazing mountain passes: Imogene, Black Bear, Engineer, California, Corkscrew, Cinnamon, and more! What's best? All of these passes can be accessed by larger ADV motorcycles and smaller dual sports with limited fuel range, most within a single day via Ouray, Telluride, Silverton, Lake City and the Million Dollar Highway.
A group of us did this trip in 2018. We camped at a KOA in Ouray, Co. (Chip Monahan, Lee Arnold, JD Larsen, Mike Hafke, and Chad Cromer) Each day we would go over a pass to a different city have lunch and ride back.

The first day we went down Black Bear pass and had lunch in Telluride.
The second day I believe we did Cinnamon past and Imogene pass and had lunch in Silverton.
I think the third day we did California pass and Hurricane pass and had lunch in Lake City.
This trip was inspired by one of my favorite YouTube motorcycle guys eveRide ADV. He put out a video on September 4th 2016 called Colorado's Alpine loop - ADV guide to the passes!
It was his video that made me decide to actually do the trip and make it happen. I will attach a link below.

https://youtu.be/jP50pvIqHKY

Plan your own groups and your own routes. They are not likely to be provided.
Gasoline was never a problem.

Although it was 75 or 85° at the campsite we actually had hail and cold conditions on top of Hurricane pass one day. You've got to have rain gear and cold weather gear with you at all times. We did this trip in August. And we still had snow on the mountain and hail.

Do your research ahead of time. Do not expect a guided ride. We are not going to ride in groups bigger than 5 to 7 people.
You do not need to be a map or GPS expert to get around out there. Many of these passes can be done in a single day.

Click on the photo album below I created in 2018.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eOf6CNnv1ZUtW89A2

Some of us are staying at the KOA in Ouray, Co. but again it's your vacation stay where you want and do what you want.
I will say it is critically important to have the correct tires and a bike that is in good shape. Also be very aware of your skill level and the weight of your bike and where you choose to take it. Don't be that guy who makes others have to help you out. Be prepared to fix flats and anything else that might go wrong.

These are mostly Jeep trails so it is very big bike friendly. But I would totally recommend a lighter more nimble bike to go some of the places we plan to go.

(I hope some of you South Dakota guys can join us Nebraska guys!)

Fletch

stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Abercrombie

Man I did Cinnomin Pass on the Super Tenere in 16 and have been dying to get back out there on a dual sport to explore the rest of Alpine loop but I already have plans to attend a Yamaha FJR rally in Gleenwood Springs the 26th - 29th. 

You got me thinking of Hauling the FJR and Beta to Colorado and hitting both.

grubbie

Never been there, but going in September. Pretty excited but a bit nervous to be honest. Not a fan of the big drop-offs beside the trail!

Abercrombie

Quote from: grubbie on April 24, 2021, 04:18:19 PM
Never been there, but going in September. Pretty excited but a bit nervous to be honest. Not a fan of the big drop-offs beside the trail!

No sweat.  What could go wrong?   This guy fell off a cliff and had no injury.

https://youtu.be/XWl0K3Kgqvw

grubbie

Thanks a pant-load, I feel much better now. I am pretty sure I won't be riding anywhere near anything named "The Devils_____" or "Hell's ____".