News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Howdy!

Started by TankSlapper, July 04, 2021, 08:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TankSlapper

Moved here this year from Maine with my wife of 32 years. We made what I thought was a rash decision to sell out and move here. I didn't expect to do this at 60 but life can certainly be interesting at times. There were several reasons for it and we're happy that it's working out really well.

Been plonking around some trails on my own with a CRF450X, exploring with my KLR (the cockroach) and have taken some really nice road rides on both my FJR1300 and ZRX1200. I like these little tar covered back roads around here too.

We do love the area and wouldn't change a thing about it. Should close on our house July 16 and then we'll begin to normalize our lives a little more. I'll have some more predictable free time for riding and beer drinking. I'm sorry I missed the rally. Would have been a great opportunity to meet most of you and get a chance to explore what I don't know about the hills. Next time.

Think I'll hop on the KLR this morning and go do a loop before it gets hot.

Thanks for the forum!

greatbuffalo

Welcome to the forum.

Where are you in the hills? There are often times people are out riding. Maybe there is someone close to you.

There certainly are more roads and trails than you can ride in short order. I have been riding these hills for years and continuously find some I have never been on. Happened today in fact.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

TankSlapper

Thanks greatbuffalo and that's how it feels around here. Like I could keep myself busy for the duration.

We'll be in the Westberry sub division off S. Canyon sometime soon. We're shooting for closing on the new place 7/16.

Lonesome Dave

I'll text you again next time we meet for beer.  Who knows, maybe tomorrow.  There's a couple of members, Too Tall (Ron) and myself that live a couple of miles from you on Nemo Road. 

Older - Wiser - Faster !

TooTall

TankSlapper,  Welcome to the Black Hills and thanks for reaching out to the Dakota Dual Sport Riders.  The wife and I moved to the Hills three years ago from Iowa and found the DDSR a very friendly, fun and welcoming group. Every weekend or even mid-week there's riders heading out to the trail system.   Just let us know what type of riding you're looking for.  Most Thursday nights a group gets together for beers at the Dakota Point Brewery in RC and there's breakfast the second Saturday morning of the month.  Just keep monitoring this website.  Ron (TooTall)

TankSlapper

Thanks for the welcome!

We did a final walk through on the house last night out in Westberry. Had to kick some deer off the lawn first thing. One of them was looking at me like it had a thought to come over and kick my ass. 

Getting excited about this house, we close on Monday. We're really enjoying living here!

Abercrombie

Quote from: TankSlapper on July 09, 2021, 07:36:09 AM
Thanks for the welcome!

We did a final walk through on the house last night out in Westberry. Had to kick some deer off the lawn first thing. One of them was looking at me like it had a thought to come over and kick my ass. 

Getting excited about this house, we close on Monday. We're really enjoying living here!

Welcome to fly over country.  I hope we can meet up to ride a DDSR event together soon.  If you want to join in several DDSR riders and about 30 other adventure riders will be attending a Yamaha Tenere Rally at Crazy Horse Campground July 22nd - 26th.
Yamaha Tenere Rally  http://www.dakotadualsportriders.com/smf/index.php?topic=2788.0

Now I just ask you to promise to tell everyone from the East and West coast about how miserable things are with life on the prairie.   ;D

TankSlapper

Quote from: Abercrombie on July 09, 2021, 02:01:29 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome to fly over country.  I hope we can meet up to ride a DDSR event together soon.  If you want to join in several DDSR riders and about 30 other adventure riders will be attending a Yamaha Tenere Rally at Crazy Horse Campground July 22nd - 26th.
Yamaha Tenere Rally  http://www.dakotadualsportriders.com/smf/index.php?topic=2788.0

Now I just ask you to promise to tell everyone from the East and West coast about how miserable things are with life on the prairie.   ;D

Worst decision we ever made but we're stuck here now.

:D

Tenere you say.... Things have changed some in my riding world and I'm looking hard at those. My 150k mile FJR could use a break and I can do gravel roads on a Ten just as well as I can a KLR.

Might have to come over and say hello and look for a little encouragement toward the choice.

Thanks for the welcome.

locopny

Welcome to the forum.

Being close you ought to join up for the fall rally. Bunch of good people.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

TankSlapper

Quote from: locopny on July 12, 2021, 10:28:02 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Being close you ought to join up for the fall rally. Bunch of good people.

I saw that and those dates would work for me.  I saw the thread but not much going on in there at the moment. When a head count is called for I'll speak up.

Thanks!

Abercrombie

Quote from: TankSlapper on July 11, 2021, 06:19:59 PM
Quote from: Abercrombie on July 09, 2021, 02:01:29 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

Tankslapper and FJR. That sounds like a familiar FJR handle, are you on the FJRforum, FJRiders, or FJRowners form?
I'm on my 4th FJR.  Thay are an awesome bike for sure.

Worst decision we ever made but we're stuck here now.

:D

Tenere you say.... Things have changed some in my riding world and I'm looking hard at those. My 150k mile FJR could use a break and I can do gravel roads on a Ten just as well as I can a KLR.

Might have to come over and say hello and look for a little encouragement toward the choice.

Thanks for the welcome.