Wyoming BDR possibly out this February, 2022.

Started by Harry Potter, January 02, 2022, 03:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry Potter

Discussion on ADVRider  (Next in the BDR series - WYBDR) is that the maps & videos for the Wyoming BDR could be out this February. If it happens are there any riders here that would be interested in a group discovery of the route? Just checking as I would need to mark off time from work now.
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.

Abercrombie

I might be interested in riding a Wyoming BDR.  I have a Copper Canyon Mexico trip planned for mid April but I'm guessing an April WYBDR would be a dicey choice of timing anyway.   May and June could be tight if I don't have enough rider coaches to cover rider course classes but from July on the schedule loosens up.   

Fletch

stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Wacked

Ill throw my hat in the ring .....   Was sitting in the airport today and trying to sort out summer travel plans.  WY BDR should be awesome

Wacked

Harry Potter

Well we see if WBDR plan comes out in February.
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.

Kevin

There is a great write up about this ride here, https://www.upshiftonline.com/magazine-issue/january-2022 .  Keep me in the loop, I am interested!

Look ahead and you'll shred...

Bruincounselor

I'm on the verge of having mid-June through July off. Depends on how stupid the higher-ups get. If that happens I'd move mountains to be there if I'm not working. I should have my T7 by then too.

PS to Abercrombie - The answer to your question will be no.  ;D

greatbuffalo

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Harry Potter

The video sure got me excited for the Wyoming BDR but I was just given the date for my prostrate surgery at Mayo Clinic, June 24th. They said I'd be out of work for two weeks  with no motorcycle riding. So I am probably out unless it's late July or August.

Abercrombie

Quote from: Bruincounselor on January 08, 2022, 10:39:15 AM
I'm on the verge of having mid-June through July off. Depends on how stupid the higher-ups get. If that happens I'd move mountains to be there if I'm not working. I should have my T7 by then too.

PS to Abercrombie - The answer to your question will be no.  ;D

Answer to my question?  Who me?  OK, I have to admit, the question did cross my mind.    ;D

Harry Potter

So the route is up and the Butler Maps are available for order. Wyoming can be on the ugly side once everything turns brown in mid July. If anybody is considering the Wyoming BDR and I can't sit on a bike, I would consider offering Sag Wagon duties. 

Bruincounselor

Boss thought better and decided to make it right. Unfortunately "Right" means I'll be working much of the summer.
I'm out.

Wacked

Harry Potter

Anybody here check out the route yet? Doing it in sections might be more doable for work time off. Also from South Dakota starting at the north end might make sense. Any thoughts?

greatbuffalo

I have spent some time out the map, reading the notes, and looking at other resources. It could be a demanding ride in the endurance sense. There are some long stretches of nothingness. Some of it is on or near the Great Divide route, so those who have done that have a taste of part of it. There are long stretches without fuel, and as ND Dave and Gerry can tell you, if you get the route wrong the fuel woes can get serious.

I have thought of several ways to do it. A number of years back we drove a rig to Salida CO and Gerry and ND Dave drove to Wyoming and we left our vehicles. We met in the middle and swapped vehicles for the return trip. That's one way. The other is the long slog. I have thought dropping bikes and truck at the beginning, riding the route and highway slog back to my truck. The problem lies with so many smaller bikes. Someone would have to be the pickup person at the other end. That has been discussed as well.

When to ride? That's a crap shoot. Late Spring would be nice, Snow in upper elevations could be a problem. This route goes to nearly 11000 feet in the Snowies. Mid summer would be dry and less chance of rain. Early fall would be nice, cool, and low chance of rain although it starts to get chilly in the Bighorns. There are several longer sections unpassable in the rain.

All that being said, I don't this is in the cards this year. I have a busy summer. Spring rally is closer than we think, I am planning a trip to western Montana to ride the high alpine gravel and asphalt twisties, catch some amazing view, and try some great brews. Then I am headed East to a good amount of the NEBDR in August.  So, not sure if this year will work. I have thought that if I have some time off and nothing to do I may ride down from where I am here in Montana and start to scout the top half. 
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?