2009 KLR650 (Lots of farkles) $3,500 OBO (SALE PENDING)

Started by Zippopotamus, February 21, 2022, 09:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zippopotamus

Well guys, Robin the Angry Bird is officially up for sale. All aboard, buckle up, drop the tray tables, order some food, and recline the seats because there is a long list of goodies. I apologize for the graininess of the photos. Having to compress photos to upload them tends to cause that...

2009 Kawasaki KLR650
34k miles
$3,500 OBO

PARTS, ACCESSORIES, AND CHANGES
-KLRDash.com upper dash panel and tall windscreen
-Touratech headlight guard
-LED headlight bulbs
-15w fork oil to stiffen the front suspension a bit
-Honda CRF250 fender (Original cracked at the mount)
-Eagle Mike fork brace
-Eagle Mike Doohickey (Balancer chain tensioner upgrade)
-Renthal "CR High" bars
-DoubleTake Ram-mounted mirrors
-Maier aluminum hand guards
-2" Rox bar risers
-ProGrip Rally grips
-Heated grips
-Dual USB outlet and 12V cigarette style outlet
-HappyTrails crash bars
-HappyTrails highway pegs
-Ricochet Off-Road aluminum skid plate
-Rear spring rated for 205 pound rider (I am 150 pounds and I really like this spring, but I also rode this bike like it's a dirtbike)
-Shorter rear suspension linkages for taller ride height in the rear (gives the front forks a slightly more verticle angle to make it handle better)
-JNS peg lowering brackets
-"eBay Special" large pegs (they have no springs, but I've never had an issue with them)
-Happy Trails soft luggage racks
-HappyTrails center stand
-FMF Q series muffler (Stock headpipe)
-Eagle Mike KLX jet kit (smooths out the throttle response and I rejetted the carb for the FMF muffler)
-Thumb screw mixture screw for easy fuel adjustment for altitude changes
-Eagle Mike low profile magnetic drain plug
-I shortened the license plate bracket
-Comes with 16 tooth front sprocket installed and 14 tooth sprocket
-Comes with Eagle Mike Air Injection block-off plate (this blocks off the air inlet port for the exhaust (emissions stuff) and will get rid of the popping on decel that the FMF pipe has. I never installed it because I decided I liked the popping too much)
-Comes with stock slide needle and various other jets
-Has an Interstate battery with tender lead installed
-Heidenau K60 Scout tires installed (known for getting 10k miles or more) Front has 60% left, Rear has 30% left
-Heavy Duty inner tubes
-Front and rear brake pads have about 50% life left.
-Neutral and Kick Stand safety switches have both been bypassed so they won't keep you from starting the bike in gear or in the event of the kick stand switch getting damaged (I stalled the bike once at an intersection and had to put the bike in neutral to start it back up. I changed that pretty quickly. You will need to make sure the bike is in neutral before you start it or it will roll itself off the kick stand. Yes, it's happened already)

If you haven't realized it already, I will be completely honest about this bike. I rode it hard. I bought it with 18k miles on it after it was taken to Alaska. Since then, I have put 16k more miles on it and much of its life while in my possession was spent off-road.

It has been on its sides countless times, usually on dirt, but a couple times on pavement as well. It has been wheelied countless times. It has been jumped countless times. There are many scratches on the guards, racks, and plastics of this bike. The front wheel has a couple smiles in the hoop. The FMF muffler is even dented from the rear brake caliper contacting it when landing jumps. All blemishes are shown in the pictures.

With the history of abuse I have put this bike through, I have not neglected it. I work on motorcycles for a living and have been doing so for the better part of the last 12 years. Any time an issue has come up or maintence was needed on this bike, it has been addressed promptly and with good parts.

Despite what many believe "every KLR does," I swear that this bike does not burn oil. There is no clutch slippage. Maintenance has been done every spring for the last 8 years - more often if ridden over 3000k in one season. It currently has 15w50 Full Synthetic Yamalube oil in it which was put in in May of 2021. At that same time, I flushed both brake systems with new fluid, cleaned the air filter, replaced the spark plug, and checked the coolant. The bike has only seen less than 100 miles since. I adjusted the valve clearances right after I bought it and again at 28k miles. All of the work on this bike has been done by me - a Yamaha technician.

This bike is sorted and has been taken care of, and I would not hesitate to ride this bike across the country once a new rear tire is thrown on. I estimate you can get another 1,200-1,500 miles out of the rear tire, and well over 3,000 out of the front. Yes, I'm serious when I say that the Heidenau K60 Scouts are known to go 10k miles or more.

The reason I'm selling is because I've now had a 2021 Yamaha Ténéré 700 for a year and a half and the KLR just doesn't get ridden anymore. I have a couple trips planned this year that the money will help out with.

Looking to get $3500 for it or best offer. With how popular Adventure bikes are becoming and with how the used market is right now, I feel that $3500 is very fair for this bike given all the goodies that go with it. KBB is currently $3700 for one "in good shape with typical milage." I want this bike gone by May - the earlier the better.

Located in Mitchell, SD. Possible to set up a delivery to the Hills.
I couldn't think of a signature; is this good enough?

Zippopotamus

I'm going to leave this up for another week and then she'll be going onto the showroom floor of Palace Motosports in Mitchell, SD. Offers will be considered. I'd like to see her go to someone I know.

sandhillrider

Don't miss out on this deal. Zippy is very honest in his description of
His KLR. Well used but really well maintained.
Your chance to own the best dual sport motorcycle ever made.

NDave

Agree totally with Mark    Zippy's bike was well maintained. And very well equipped and should be all set up for an adventure.     

Much respect to Sandhills rider for his acknowledgment that the KLR is a classic     Rember  folks the silver and black ones are the fastest

Lonesome Dave

I got to thinking about Zippy's KLR and some memories.  I've stolen gas out that super tanker at least a couple of times.  I broke a blinker on it, or maybe I should say my bike broke a blinker on it when Zippy ran into me!  He was looking around and then looked forward again at me just ahead of him.  An "oh shit moment"  happened, he swerved and came away with a broken blinker.  Don't worry, I was riding the mighty Beta, it didn't hurt it.

I could go into a lot of different Zippy moments over the years, like too hot corner (not with the KLR) but that would get off topic!  But, it might make a good thread about dumb moments that everyone could be included in.

Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

I've never seen KLR and fastest in the same sentence before??

I have forwarded this to a friend who just retired and is looking for a DS bike to haul on the back of his motorhome.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

jacin theis

Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Zippopotamus

Quote from: jacin theis on March 02, 2022, 06:19:23 PM
Zippy, what are you riding now?

I'm on a 2021 Yamaha Ténéré 700. The only thing I worry about it when compared to the KLR is the fuel capacity, but Acerbis has a tank I'm really eyeballing...

Zippopotamus

She's going onto the showroom floor on Monday. Like I said, I'd like to see her go to someone I know or at least someone on here that I might see from time to time, but I'm more worried about the money, and I think I'll have a better chance of selling her through the shop. Again, offers will be considered, so if you're on the fence, make an offer and we'll see what we can do.

Zippopotamus

I have a very interested buyer lined up. Sounds like the bike will be headed to a good home next weekend.