News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Helmet communication devices.

Started by greatbuffalo, April 10, 2022, 12:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

If anyone is on the fence about picking up a helmet communications system, its worth it. Its amazing how much a day ride is improved with such technology. Most of us are using the Sena system with the Mesh technology. This tech has changed the experience. I will not get into a which unit is best discussion, this is one that most of us have gotten.

When out on the trail, in order to discuss things with the group, you have to stop, huddle around and yell to make yourself heard by all. With coms, you can stay on your bike, leave your visor down, and speak, all within several hundred feet can you, without yelling. Also, the leader can inform others riding behind of obstacles, upcoming turns, vehicles approaching, lunch plans, etc, etc.

Riders behind can communicate; rider condition, bike problems, trouble keeping up, etc, etc.

During the ride the opportunity to criticize the leader and or fellow riders will be easier and for all to hear and laugh. This is your chance to learn what you have only been able to imagine. Just how do your fellow DDSR members think and feel about you. This can be an eye opening experience and may even make you rethink why you choose to participate with the group.

The downside; If there are to many on the ride, it can be a problem with people talking over each other, Its pretty much a line of sight thing, Sometimes a few can hear you just fine when others cannot, you must recharge your com the night before, (Joel) and there may be times when you want silence. If that happens turn the thing off.

Anyway, just something to think about.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Fletch

Do I really want to hear what you are saying about me??   :o
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

locopny

I'm with that thought.... ^^^^^

But hearing what y'all say about everyone else might be informative.

All that said...I've got a Sena on order.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

Abercrombie

I've been using Sena SMH10 on my helmets for years but the group I'm riding with in Coppen Canyon Mexico all runs so I've switched my Adventure helmet to Cardo Bold with mesh.  I think the mesh is slightly better than blue tooth.

Hank

I've had a pair of SMH-10s for years, and just got a pair of 50s's.      I got the 50s pair about a month ago, and first step was to upgrade firmware, which failed miserably on both of them.   I spent hours trying, using multiple computers (and the wifi charging cables), then an hour plus on the phone with Sena and they ended up giving me an RMA and I exchanged them.    Next set worked fine.     Hopefully whatever defect they had in the run that produced my first pair is fixed.     It was a PIA but at least they stood behind them and got me a working pair.

The 50s comes with a Wifi charging cable so firmware updates are done automatically.       I got that all set up, but quite frankly I think it's silly and unnecessary tech.   "Tech for the sake of tech" type of deal, but that's just me.   How often do you really need to upgrade the firmware?    It includes an phone app but it doesn't have a whole lot of functionality... again.. fluffy bells and whistles.

I haven't got to try the 50s yet, other than sitting on my couch with my helmet on streaming music, and looking super cool.

I agree that in helmet communicators are one of the best tech innovations in ages when it comes to motorcycling.   Its really nice to be able to talk to your riding cohorts, on or off road, and the ability to take a call or stream music is fantastic.   I've taken work calls on my SMH-10 while cruising down the highway, and the person I'm talking to doesn't even notice wind noise or know that I'm out playing hooky.

greatbuffalo

You are correct about the WiFi cable; useless. The phone app though, comes in handy making adjustments.

My next project is figuring out how to adjust the music cut so it doesn't cut from a little wind noise.

Fetch, I spelled it out. If you wanna know, join the club, if you wanna be kept in the dark.... Ignorance IS bliss.  :D

Hank

There are two Sena apps.   One is for the WiFi charging cable - that's the one that seems fairly useless.   It basically shows the firmware version of the WiFi cable, the firmware version of what's connected to it, and its supposed to show you what is connected but that part doesn't even work.   With the 50s connected, it shows Unknown Device but it does show the firmware version of the 50S.  It doesn't even show the level of charge.  Pretty dumb.   

I agree the other app that allows you to tweak the 50S itself looks pretty decent.

Fletch

Quote from: greatbuffalo on April 14, 2022, 03:27:24 AM
.... Ignorance IS bliss.  :D

Life's been good to me so far....Just don't' know if I want to know what I don't know......lol

realistically I'll get up to date shortly..

on an unrelated note you will be happy to hear the fuel pump went out on the 1290.. upgraded unit on the way.......

grubbie

Watching this with interest. I have been researching and comparing this winter. I want something to play music mostly. Bought some cheap bluetooth helmet speakers on Amazon but they were garbage. The 50s is the one I think LD told me about. More than I want to spend, really, but I am leaning toward those.

sandhillrider

Bonnie and i have the 50s, big upgrade over the 10s we had.
Mesh is a game changer over bluetooth.
Sena has its problems but after some research before we bought the 50's i think they all do.

Fletch

sandhillrider

greatbuffalo

Mike, You may wanna get a dual set, If you go riding with Shauna, she's gonna wanna know what you're thinkin too.

locopny

What happened to 'ignorance is bliss'?

:o ;D
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

Fletch

I'm still considering remaining in the blissful state.... ;) :)