News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Helmet communication devices.

Started by greatbuffalo, April 10, 2022, 12:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

When I got my dual pack recently Dennis Kirk had the best pricing, and they are pretty local so delivery was fast.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Lonesome Dave

Well here's my 2 cents....

I too have the 50s unit.  Zippy bought a pair and we split the cost between us.  The update of firmware was way beyond me, but I have a good buddy (Pauly) that simply talked to himself and the unit while talking with me and 45 minutes later we were done.  Haven't had any problems since, except Dan talking too much!!

Music;  I've had good custom ear buds for years, this is better.  Although I don't know how to turn it on or use it, it even has FM radio.  (I put that in there for Gerry)  In fact, I think these things would be awesome for skiing groups.

Taking breaks on the trail;  I often feel guilty because Mike, Gerry, and Grubbie don't know what everybody is talking about when we stop.  It's an extension of the discussion we were having while riding.  One more thing.  SandhillRider and I were leading a group last year, I think it was just the two of us with Sena's.  We actually talked in a normal voice about the ride and scenery like we were in a car together.

I would not go back.  If I get tired of the chatter, and that really depends on the day, I can just change to music while still listening to everybody I'm with.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

locopny

I just got a dualpack of Kenwood KCA-HX5M.
Mesh and Bluetooth. Rebranded Sena 30 units as I understand.

Of course I got a really good deal on it even with current price rises.
Shipped to home for $200.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

Fletch

I suppose I should get with the times...
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

locopny

Quote from: Fletch on June 27, 2022, 08:11:53 AM
I suppose I should get with the times...

Or stay blissfully unaware and less frustrated getting this to work.

Might take a day to learn...
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

Fletch

Good point.  Not to mention I'm not sure if I can talk and ride at the same time?
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

locopny

Haha...
That didn't stop me.

Might just be determined enough to figure it out...I did get the FM radio to work via voice command. Can't change stations yet .  surely still gonna miss what's being said at first.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L

tannerc

Ive used a Sena quite a bit. Firmware updates and relearning the connection process and adding new ppl is a little hit and miss but they work ok. Ive started using baofeng radios now. the range is amazing. The Sena will drop out once you loose sight of the other person even if its 50 yrds over a rocky hill. A friend and I used the Baofengs in Idaho and were able to stay in contact with each other 5 miles apart, very handy. There is a learning curve but it's totally worth it. The radio is $20 and the helmet kit is $15.

https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-UV-5R-136-174-400-480Mhz-1800mAh/dp/B074XPB313/ref=asc_df_B074XPB313/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242015686760&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=903571376851806402&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9020363&hvtargid=pla-570582273961&th=1

Rugged radios will sell you one for $250
https://www.ruggedradios.com/products/enduro-moto-kit-with-v3-handheld-radio?variant=39410088444000
"Retreat, hell! We're not retreating, we're just advancing in a different direction."