News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Best bike for my wife...and me

Started by JustJeff, April 24, 2022, 12:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustJeff

Hey all!
Emily is looking at trying something new and was curious about riding.  Max is off to college so we're not quite emty-nesters but close.  She has no interest in street riding and is nervous about size and weight.  I went GS1200 to WR250R then back to the GS.  I don't need to "sell a bike to get bike" anymore so I'll something similar to the WR again.
I get a little bogged down with all the different lettering on the bikes and what they're used for so I'd love a little advise from the pro's!  I'm 6'2, she's 5'8.  What thoughts do you have on an entry-level, easy to maneuver, VERY easy to maintain (I don't have a garage and have limited maintenance skills) bike that you throw in a trailer and take on easy trails and go exploring dirt roads.  Thanks!

greatbuffalo

I have 2 suggestions, the Yamaha XT250 and the Honda CRF300. Both are bead solid reliable, easy maintenance and easy to ride and forgiving.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Lonesome Dave

There's also that new one last year that Tom bought.  Kawasaki KLX300  (I think?)
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Yes, another good suggestion.

sandhillrider

Bonnie has a Xt250 and loves it. But she has made it into what she wanted, seat, heated grips, geared down, better tires and new shock and fork springs with valves. Bring Emily up for a test ride. You know the way...

JustJeff

Haha...I was going to ask!  I told Em you had the ideal test run facility.  All the bikes you'd ever want to ride, lined up!  I'll be in touch.  Thanks Mark!

loingrader

I think you should look at a Yamaha TW200.  They generate constant smiles, have loads of traction, not too much hp (but plenty), low enough seat height and they are simple and reliable.  They are perfect for novice riders as well as seasoned experts. 

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Abercrombie

I don't think you could go wrong with a CRF300L, KLX300, WR250R (discontinued), or a DRZ400S if you wanted a bit more power.  I'm a Yamaha fan boy but I think I would quickly tire of the XT250 or TW200 although they are capable bullet proof machines.

JustJeff

So I rode a Honda 300L today and liked it.  $6200 at Rod's Power Sports.  Saw on Craigslist a guy selling two 2017 250L's for 10k (negotiable) with only a couple hundred miles on each.  Two new 2022 300L's for $12,400 or two 2017 250's for $9000?

greatbuffalo

It's crazy what they are asking these days.

locopny

YouTube itchyboots season 6 I believe...south Africa... She rode all over with her 250. Quite capable bike I think.
But best is how it feels to you.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

greatbuffalo

Actually she is on a 300l now in Central America. The episode released today shows her on a very gnarly lava field. I believe if she had better tires she would gotten through better than she did. I have a huge amount of respect for that woman.

If you don't know who we are talking about.
https://youtu.be/Kizd7nN8zJM

Fletch

I think they have it covered already.. good luck.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike