News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Bike for me...new opinions requested.

Started by JustJeff, April 29, 2022, 09:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustJeff

So I've given Emily plenty to research and we'll be traveling to see Mark and Bonnie this Saturday.  Looking for a new bike for myself now and after hours of videos I'm reluctant to get a 300L.  Bad suspension for my size and riding style (of course upgrades available).  I thought about the CRF 450 but Adventure Daily thought it was his dream bike but thought it was too much for his riding style of slow-speed exploration..."Better to ride a slow bike fast than try and ride a fast bike slow." 

I'm keeping my GS for GS stuff and am looking for something on the other end of the spectrum.  Light weight (under 300lbs), dual sport (80/20 trail v. road) but good power for BDR's, Moab, The Hills, etc. 

I'm certainly not looking for someone to tell me what to buy, I just love listening to you gear geeks and your collective knowledge and considering your opinions when I'm test-riding and dialing in my purchase.  I friggin' love riding and with Em's interest we plan on making this our thing now.  All trips for the foreseeable future will orbit around twisting a throttle!   

sandhillrider

I'll cast out my Beta bait when he's here.. He should be easy to hook. :) :) :)

Fletch

the 450's are pretty brutal for technical stuff, but crazy fun on gravel and decent two track. Anyone over 200lbs. is going to most likely need suspension work no matter what the bike. While I'll never do the handshake the Beta's do seem pretty nice.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Hank

Would second that the 450s are a bit much on technical stuff.   

I love my 400XCW for just what you are describing, but KTM quit making the 400s in 2011.   

That old 400 hits a sweet spot.. almost as much power as the 450, but it doesn't hit as hard and is less tiring to ride.  Lots of low end torque.   I had the suspension worked over and think it works great.   I like the forks better than the forks on my 18 300XCW, even though they've been reworked too.   Sometimes I think I should sell it, but its just setup too well, isn't worth much, and would cost way too much to replace.

I've never ridden a KTM 350 but I understand they like to be revved and don't have much grunt.

390 Beta maybe a good compromise bike?

Abercrombie

Quote from: sandhillrider on April 29, 2022, 09:57:32 AM
I'll cast out my Beta bait when he's here.. He should be easy to hook. :) :) :)

Once he rides your 500 RR-S the search will be over. 

locopny

Just don't show the handshake before purchase.
87 XL600R 89 CBR600R
'17 CRF1000L
When can I go riding again? Crashing sucks!

JustJeff

Couple things...

Why is a Beta 500 okay but a 450 is not?  And, I don't get the handshake reference lol.  I assumed it simply meant the deal was made but now I don't get what "don't show the handshake" means  :(

sandhillrider

There's a bunch of us in the DDSR group that have bought Betas, we've taken a lot of ribbing about it
from the others that are jealous of our Italian princess's thus the handshake comment.
Abercrombie and I both have 500rrs's and love them, others have the smaller ones. The RRS's all use the same frame but different engines. The long stroke motors maybe make more user friendly power for dual spot riding.
Most of us love them but some have had growing pains. I will fill you in when you come out.
If i could only have one bike it would be my Beta. I've made it into a 275# DR650 on steroids.
That being said there are more choices than ever before in dual sport bikes, only you can decide but if weight is a factor the field narrows quickly.

Kevin

I have a 2020 430rr Race edition I made street legal.  I wanted the upgraded suspension components is the only reason I went with the race.  The 430 will lug along and it will rip too.  I installed a 3.5 gallon fuel tank, Scotts damper, had the suspension massaged for me, skid plate, full wrap hand guards, full FMF spark arrest exhaust, and balanced the wheels/tires for improved street-ability.  Its the best 4 stroke bike I have owned and I will buy another Beta when I decide its time for a fresh ride... 
Look ahead and you'll shred...

grubbie

I had a few growing pains with my Beta (fluid leaks mostly), but I am confident that it was sabotaged by a KTM rider. Mine is a 390 RR-S and I am very happy with it.

JustJeff

"That being said there are more choices than ever before in dual sport bikes, only you can decide but if weight is a factor the field narrows quickly."

Assuming ya'll enjoy sharing your knowledge (right or wrong) a couple more things come to mind....

Weight is a factor here so what bikes might the field narrow down to?
Where can a guy test ride these Betas?  I've exhausted most places around here over the past weeks.  Where do you all get your bikes? 

Kevin

Beta's are as light as anything out there and reliable.  I've been riding Beta trials bikes since the mid 1990's, never have been let down.  That quality has carried over to the Beta Race and Enduro line up.  I bought my last two bikes from Rosco in Rapid City, he has treated me well.  I inquired for a buddy of mine a couple of weeks back, sounded like Rosco had a Beta 500 RS that had not been spoken for to arrive end of May or early June.  New bikes are tough to come by, good luck... 
Look ahead and you'll shred...

JustJeff

I appreciate everyone's input, thank you.

sandhillrider