News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Fall Rally 2022 Sign Up!

Started by greatbuffalo, July 27, 2022, 02:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

The 2022 Dakota Dual Sport Riders September rally will once again be held in the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota!  Camping will be at the Crazy Horse Campground on the north side of Custer SD:

Custer Crazy Horse Campground - (605) 517-9016 - address is 1116 N. 5th St. Custer SD  57730
....  ask for Twyla, she is very accomodating; Tell them you are with the DDSR enduro riders group ....

Dates are September 15-18, 2022  You can arrive anytime after 1:00pm on Thursday, September 15th, departing on Sunday, Sept. 18th, Weather? - Who knows.....   elevation is at least 1000' feet higher than Rapid City.  So, if you are basing the temps on Rapid weather, guess 1 zone colder.  This campground is on the northern border of Custer the town on 385 (I have no idea why their formal address in on 5th but it works.)

Entry Fee: FREE!
Camping: Tents - We've reserved 5-6 tent sites    /   RV Sites - We've reserved 5-6    /   Cabins - 4-5
There are likely more available if we need them, but these reserved ones are down in the Meadow and are grouped together nicely so we can hang as a group and tell tall tales by the campfire.  Not sure of the accuracy of this at this at this time. Just call and see what is still available.

The rally is open to any and all skill levels of riders with any motorcycle that is street legal in SD (doesn't take much: headlight, taillight & license plate is about it).  All attempts will be made to keep the amount of pavement on our rides to a minimum, but it is a necessary evil in the Black Hills to get from one trail to another sometimes.

Rides can range from gravel/easy fire roads to rocks to single track to really gnarly rocks & single track, hillclimbs, etc.  There will be something for everybody!

The Crazy Horse CG has full showers, real bathrooms (with sinks & mirrors!), a general store (with beer).  There is NO restaurant on premises BUT Custer (the town) is just 4 blocks down the hill complete with brewery, grocery store, gas, and several places to eat.

Electricity is available to charge cell phones, iPods, etc., however it is outside, so use at your own risk!

Firewood can be brought in

Limited food will be provided, but plan on fending for yourself during the day.
- Organized food TBA

Cars, trucks & bike trailers will have room to park, but could be a ways away from your campsite.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

DISCLAIMER:
Anyone attending this event, does so at their own risk. Hank, Great Buffalo, Lonesome Dave, Piglet, any other DDSR member, the FnF campground or ANYONE BESIDES YOU will not be held responsible for injury to yourself, your bike or gear! Now, let's get out and RIDE THE HILLS!!  P.S. No helicopters allowed!  :-)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PERMITS: Don't forget, permits are now required to ride off-road (on trails designated 'TR' on the new MVU Map) in the Black Hills National Forest. Link Below:

Permits Here!
https://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/store/permits-passes

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Copy and paste the below form in your reply to sign up:

NAME/INTERNET HANDLE:
NUMBER IN YOUR PARTY:
DATE ARRIVING:
DATE LEAVING:
TENT OR RV:
SIZE OF RV:
NUMBER OF TENTS:
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Harry Potter

NAME/INTERNET HANDLE:  Tim / Harry Potter
NUMBER IN YOUR PARTY: Hopefully 2 riders
DATE ARRIVING: Thursday 15th
DATE LEAVING: Sunday 18th
TENT OR RV: ?
SIZE OF RV:
NUMBER OF TENTS:?
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.

greatbuffalo

NAME/INTERNET HANDLE: Great Buffalo
NUMBER IN YOUR PARTY: 3, 2 riders
DATE ARRIVING: 9/15
DATE LEAVING: 9/18
TENT OR RV: RV
SIZE OF RV:  28'
NUMBER OF TENTS:
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Bruincounselor

NAME/INTERNET HANDLE: Jim/Bruincounselor
NUMBER IN YOUR PARTY:2 (Jim and Jim from Fargo)
DATE ARRIVING: 15  after noonish
DATE LEAVING: 18 (Early AM)
TENT OR RV: Cabin
SIZE OF RV:
NUMBER OF TENTS:

unswitched

Hi, I will be coming to the rally with Tim / Harry Potter who posted above, not sure what our camping arrangements would be. Thanks!

NAME/INTERNET HANDLE:  Gary / unswitched
NUMBER IN YOUR PARTY: from my side just me
DATE ARRIVING: Thursday 15th
DATE LEAVING: Sunday 18th
TENT OR RV: tent
SIZE OF RV:
NUMBER OF TENTS:1

DakotaDrifter

Chad Sherrill (DakotaDrifter)
Arriving 9-15
Departing 9-18
1 person
Staying in Cabin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad Sherrill
Rapid City, SD
2019 Africa Twin
2003 BMW r1150gs

Wacked

Stopped in and got a reservation with Twyla for Sat. Night - may show up Friday after work but not sure.

Will ride all day Sat.  Could do the Rattlesnake run down to Edgemont or do a big winding loop up north towards Sugar Shack and back.  Will bring the T7 only

Wacked

TankSlapper

I'm going to stop in today and see if I can grab a site for Saturday night. I'll spend most of two days with you folks. Mostly because of time available due to me riding in Montana and Wyoming the week before. As much as I'd like to, I can't always be gone from home on the bike. Plus I'm a terrible planner.

Will update my post if successful. Bringing the Africa Twin only for this one.

Tom Stevenson (TankSlapper)
Arriving 9/17 (early morning)
Departing 9/18
1 person
Staying in Tent  (done deal. Got my reservation done today).

Wacked

THE BIG ENCHILADA

Yep.  That's what I'm going to call a new loop I've had in mind. 

Big because it caters to the mid or larger bikes (I'll be on my T7).  Also big because the distance it covers might be a tad overly ambitious - you don't know til you sit in the saddle and try.  It will touch several different sections/zones in the Hills

Enchilada because everything will be in it .... scenery, rocks, road, and certainly windy trails.  You'd better have at least your 50/50 tire on for this route.  Oh yea, what enchilada is completed without some salsa???......   there will be some spicy sections along the way as well. 

Essentially it will be a big "Clock-Wise" loop up and outta Custer.  I could take 5-6 bikes.  There would be several exit points if you thought I was being an unreasonable bastard.

Plan on leaving Sat @ 8:30

Wacked

Yosemite Sam

NAME/INTERNET HANDLE: Sam Monahan / MountainMan
NUMBER IN YOUR PARTY: 1
DATE ARRIVING: 9-15
DATE LEAVING: 9-18
TENT OR RV: tent/ hammock if possible
SIZE OF RV:
NUMBER OF TENTS: 1

DakotaDrifter

Welcome Sam!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad Sherrill
Rapid City, SD
2019 Africa Twin
2003 BMW r1150gs

TankSlapper

Quote from: Wacked on August 29, 2022, 02:19:05 PM

THE BIG ENCHILADA

Yep.  That's what I'm going to call a new loop I've had in mind. 

Big because it caters to the mid or larger bikes (I'll be on my T7).  Also big because the distance it covers might be a tad overly ambitious - you don't know til you sit in the saddle and try.  It will touch several different sections/zones in the Hills

Enchilada because everything will be in it .... scenery, rocks, road, and certainly windy trails.  You'd better have at least your 50/50 tire on for this route.  Oh yea, what enchilada is completed without some salsa???......   there will be some spicy sections along the way as well. 

Essentially it will be a big "Clock-Wise" loop up and outta Custer.  I could take 5-6 bikes.  There would be several exit points if you thought I was being an unreasonable bastard.

Plan on leaving Sat @ 8:30

Wacked

Well this answers my question as to when rides will start. And this one sounds perfect.

I'll be there early Saturday morning and would like to tag along.

Daftnord

NAME/INTERNET HANDLE: Ty
NUMBER IN YOUR PARTY: 1
DATE ARRIVING: 9-16 night
DATE LEAVING: 9-18
TENT OR RV: tent
SIZE OF RV:
NUMBER OF TENTS: 1

Deciding whether to bring r1150gs, or TW200, or both

Wacked

Welcome Daftnord -

My 2cents on bike selection...   the Southern hills tend to be more big bike trails/roads; the Northern hills tend to have trails oriented to smaller/tighter trails and terrain.  All depends on your comfort level, but I'd lean towards the GS for this fall rally...   or bring both and have it all covered

Wacked

Harry Potter

Wacked, the big Enchilada sounds awesome. I think more than 6 riders are going to want to sign up. Unswitched (Gary), my son (Chris), and I could take up 3 spots.
"The best modification you can make to your bike is a better rider," Jimmy Lewis.