News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

New Yamaha WR250R!

Started by The Yeti, July 15, 2009, 09:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

Quote from: Hank on July 14, 2009, 08:26:34 PM
Well don't keep us in suspenders!  What are you going to get?

This:

Yamaha WR250R

Nice shootout here from some ADVrider guys, including two KLRs and a 950:
http://www.wrrdualsport.com/shoot-out/shootoutindex

One of the biggest threads on ADVrider is all about the WRR:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329337

Lotsa videos on Youtube, this one is some guy showing off with it on an MX track. Kinda amazing what this bike can do, and still (reportedly) comfortably cruise down the slab at 70mph.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wID5IeCc3Xs&feature=fvsr

I have yet to ride, or even sit on one, so I don't really know if it will fit my Yeti body, but everything I've read is encouraging...it has a 36.6" seat height. Got a date with BH Powersports this Saturday.

Quote from: Hank on July 14, 2009, 08:26:34 PM
In my humble, and not asked for opinion, your 950 will be missed.  Seems to me that most of your riding is moderate trails where it does great.  Do you really want a bike that is better in mud and rocks at the expense of all the 950 is good at?  Are rocks and mud really THAT fun on ANYTHING?    If you think you'll take a bath on the 950 when you sell it, take the 1K (or whatever) you'll lose, keep the 950, and pick up a 1991 DR350 for thrashing thru mud and rocks, then you can have the best of both worlds!

Your opinion is always appreciated! I probably will miss the 950, but right now, I'm REALLY missing the ability to "go where no man has gone before".  ;D  I think the reason most of my riding is on moderate trails is because of the bike I'm on. I really do enjoy the technical stuff, I just do not enjoy wrestling the 950 through it.

I know I will not miss the $$$$ maintenance on the KTM. I'm not nearly as good with the wrenches as you guys are and the KTM really intimidates me.  I just paid ~$600 for a major service on the 950!  :o  I'm pretty sure I can do any service on the little 250 by myself (can you say 10 minute oil changes?)....the 950 just scares me!
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

fringefan

A 250? that's just not fair.

loingrader

after brandon walked that little ttr225 of my sisters thru the hills last fall, he swears that he'll get a 250 dual sport bike someday.  they just make it so much easier.  lighter, easier to pick up, and maintenence on those smaller bikes is always cheaper and more simple.  i think you're heading the right direction yeti (but hank has a point about an old dr350 too).
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

It's a done deal!!  ;D  This time next week, I'll have me some WRR!   :evil :evil

fringefan

Thought the test ride was not untill Sat? You need to ride it over so we can check it out when you get it.

The Yeti

Got a sweet deal on a used one.  Only 340 miles on an '08 for about 2K less than I was gonna pay new!

Hank

What are you gonna do with your 950?

The Yeti

loingrader

Quote from: The Yeti on July 17, 2009, 09:20:43 AM
Got a sweet deal on a used one.  Only 340 miles on an '08 for about 2K less than I was gonna pay new!

PERFECT!!!

i love it when a good deal comes my way.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Caseyjones

Excellent, gratz on the new ride, it should be tons of fun in the woods and ugly stuff!!

Can't wait to see it

loingrader

so did you get the yammy yet yeti?   

The Yeti

Picked up the WRR yesterday morning, took it home and made a few adjustments to the bars, shifter, brake pedal and suspension, then went out and rode all day!  This thing is a friggin' blast!!  Sorry, no pics yet.

Compared to the 950, this bike just flat out ROCKS in the dirt! Not too bad on the road, either. I actually prefer the clean air that no fairing allows.  Will cruise at 70-75 without a problem, and rails through the twisties as long as you keep the revs up.  It's a bit buzzy right now, but I've got new bars and anti-vibe risers waiting to be put on tonight.  The seat is torture after 4-5 hours, but I'll get a Renazco ASAP.

I think I'm not gonna miss the 950 too bad...more comfy on-road, but I never do a lot of that, and easier to haul stuff.  I'll be getting some luggage for the WR, and should be able to carry all my camping gear.  Other than that, the WR is a lot more fun once you leave the road.  I'm gonna need to change the front sprocket, but it will tractor around the slow stuff easily (with some slipping of the clutch right now).  But, where it really shines is when you get to the top half of the powerband...holy SH*T!

I took it through some trails that I was very familiar with, and everywhere I went, the little bike out performed the 950 in just about every aspect.  The 950 feels more planted in turns just because it's so heavy, but I only have one day of experience on the WR, I'm sure I'll get better at handling it....I noticed quite a difference just from the morning to the afternoon.  The thing that surprised me most was that the WR took me everywhere off-road FASTER THAN THE 950! The WRR seems kinda tame until you get the revs way up there, then it just screams!  Too much fun!

Already got to take off on some trails I would NEVER have taken the 950.  Got stuck on one little single track at a dead-end, and was able to turn around by just lifting the front end and "scooting" it around a foot at a time, and I was outa there!  Woulda been screwed on the 950.

I think I'm really gonna love this bike.   ;D

The Yeti

Check this guy on a WRR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC7BfDRph3k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47fRFE5U3kM

He's got a Power Commander, different exhaust and removed all the smog crap, but it shows you what this little bike is capable of.   :evil

loingrader

that is awesome.  i'm so pumped for you yeti!

The Yeti

Got some more time on the WRR today.  Put on new tires (D606s) and a smaller front sprocket.

The smaller sprocket TOTALLY killed the road-ability of the bike.  :-\  Can barely make 75mph wrapped out in sixth gear!  (Downhill, with a tailwind)  :-[  Threw the speedo WAY off! Not sure if I wanna stay with the new 12t front.  Makes first gear almost useless except for the most technical parts.  Might just leave the 13t on and only use the 12t during DDSR rallies!   :evil

Bars are VERY buzzy.  Put on my Rox risers and Grip Puppies (foam grip covers), helped a bit, but still too buzzy.  I got a new set of high-bend bars, too, and tried to install them today. But with the risers, the cables just won't reach.   >:(

The seat REALLY sucks!   :o  My ass is sore after about 1 hour..after 2, it's just torture...gotta stand up as much as possible, which is a lot more comfortable after I installed the risers!   ;)

Still lovin' the WRR, though....this thing makes me go TOO fast off-road.  Had more than a few "moments" today....it's just soooo easy to go really fast through anything on this bike!   ;D

Oh yeah...did an oil change today...10 mintues!! ;D