News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

New Yamaha WR250R!

Started by The Yeti, July 15, 2009, 09:52:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

Yeah, that hillclimb I didn't take the 950 up is at the very start of Camp 5 (Boulder Canyon entrance), gonna have to try that next time I'm up there. Forgot about that when I came out of Camp 5 on Sunday.  Is that where you broke your mirror?

I also just remembered that trail right before the runaway truck ramp coming down 385 into Deadwood.  I had to turn around on the 950 before the hillclimb.  I'll have to conquer that one as well!   8)
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

loingrader

Quote from: The Yeti on August 04, 2009, 12:35:04 PM
 Is that where you broke your mirror?

not the first hill, but another hill that you can see a little ways to the left after you go up the first hill (at the entrance).  that is where i broke my mirror.  it is quite a steep friggin hill.

that road off 385 by the truck ramp will be a lot of fun on the wr too.  starts and ends pretty tame but it has a few hairy spots in the middle.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

So, last weekend I went through Camp 5 (again), then attempted the hill that broke loingrader's mirror.  I stared at it a REAL long time, but just couldn't work up the nads to attempt it alone...DEFEATED!

Just to the left of that hillclimb, there's another slightly less intimidating hillclimb leading to the top of the same hill, I took that one. Almost didn't make it, had to downshift to first mid-hill.  Once to the top, there's a great single track following the edge of the canyon.  It comes REAL close to the edge in a couple spots providing some good pucker factor!

Feeling down cuz I chickened out, I headed for that trail right before the runaway truck turn-off on 385 determined to conquer.  Got back in there without a problem, but when I got to the first big hillclimb, I only made it halfway up before I got stopped by a real big rock.  I got off and walked up the hill a ways, then decided I'd better not try that one alone either...DEFEATED AGAIN!  Turned tail and creeped back out to the highway.

I guess I'm just a bit too conservative to try some of those hills alone. For the first time, at least.  Once I tackle this stuff with a wingman, I'm sure I'll be confident enough to go solo.

This little bike really takes it out of me!  I find that I'm pretty well exhausted after almost every ride.  Doesn't really hit me until I get home though. Don't really notice it while I'm still riding, which could be a bad thing I guess, if I let it go too far.  Sometimes I forget how old and decrepit I am.   :-\

Hank

I'm anxious to see these hills (and try them on the drz).  Probably not a bad plan to play it a little conservative when you're solo!   It might suck laying out on a rocky hill with a broken ankle..

fringefan

I don't remember these hills? I remeber the one scuba spilled on on that area and farther down the road I remember one that Brett tried to ride up but turned around because of the little rock face near the top. No matter, it will be a good time either way.

The Yeti

Quote from: fringefan on September 04, 2009, 08:49:54 PM
I don't remember these hills? I remeber the one scuba spilled on on that area and farther down the road I remember one that Brett tried to ride up but turned around because of the little rock face near the top. No matter, it will be a good time either way.

That one that Scuba went down on, I haven't been able to find.  The one I chickened out on was the one Brett turned around on (I think).  We simply HAVE to do Pilot Knob!   :evil

plumber mike

That spot transponder is only supposed to look cool on the bars, not actually get used. Wait for me  :evil

loingrader

Quote from: fringefan on September 04, 2009, 08:49:54 PM
Bret tried to ride up

i didn't turn around.  i dropped my bike.  picked it up and rode it back down the hill.  the hill defeated me.  it was nothing i chose to do.  i will conquer it in 2 weeks.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

Quote from: plumber mike on September 04, 2009, 10:50:35 PM
That spot transponder is only supposed to look cool on the bars, not actually get used. Wait for me  :evil

I'll be out riding all weekend, give me a call!

plumber mike

The inlaws are in town. They are bringing up a recently restored 3 wheeler for the kids so I will be playing trail tourist this weekend. Plus the Xcountry has a plugged exhaust that is getting replaced next week.But I will be ready for the rally. Ride safe out there.

The Yeti

After a great afternoon of riding last Saturday with excess on his Husaberg, I was worn out and took a day off from riding on Sunday.  Then things went real bad on Monday afternoon for me...

After a very quick run through Camp 5, excess & I conquered the hill at the Boulder Canyon Camp 5 entrance!  This is excess, he had a bit of a moment at the top where those two rocky steps are, but otherwise he made it look easy:

I went next, and the steps gave me a bit of a stutter, but no drops!

We were really hauling ass through the rocky sections of Camp 5 and my arms were screaming at me the next day.   :evil

So, on Monday, I went out off Neck Yoke rod to my favorite "close to home" play area.  I was really in the zone, riding better than ever, taking turns faster, catching a lot of air, and generally just having a blast, until....

I came over a berm carrying a bit too much speed (@ 30mph), landed on the crest of two ruts, front end washed out into the rut, and I went down hard on the left side.

After the dust settled, the first thing I noticed was a lot of pain coming from my left pinky finger.  Ripped off my gloveand my finger looked about 1/4" shorter and about 1/2" fatter!  :o  Dislocated.  Man, that hurts!

Tried to yank it back into place...not a good idea, hurt like hell, and didn't work anyway.  Lifting up a bike is no fun with a dislocated finger, let me tell you.

So, I get the bike uprgiht and notice the bars are tweaked way to the left.  Oh well, I can ride with crooked bars. So, I put my gloves back on (OUCH!)  ands get on the bike.  Start 'er up, put it in gear, let the clutch out...no go!  WTF??   Well, bars were bent out of shape so bad, the clutch cable was stretched so far that it wouldn't allow the clutch to engage.  Back off the bike, take the gloves back off (OUCH!), and get out the toolbox and go to work on the bars (OUCH! OUCH! OUCH!).  Get the bars straight enough so the clutch would engage and rode about 20 miles home.  Every time I had to stop, my finger was getting more and more swollen, along with my hand, making it very difficult to pull in the clutch (F%$$^^$ OUCH!).

Made it home, went to urgent care and the x-rays confirmed no break, so the doc numbed up my finger (THANK YOU!) and yanked it back in place.  Still hurts a lot today, wearing a splint.

Also, got a little road rash on my left elbow and shoulder from my pressure suit (thank goodness I was wearing all my gear!).

So, anyone ever dislocate a finger?  How loing 'til I'll be able to ride at 100% again??  I'd hate to miss the upcoming rally because of this...   :'( :'( :'(

excess

that sucks man i hope it heals quick. hacksaw  the end of the lever off so that your pinkie never has to move from the grip and you should be able to ride soon. Oh and pain pills never hurt :)

The Yeti

Quote from: excess on September 08, 2009, 01:21:51 PM
that sucks man i hope it heals quick. hacksaw  the end of the lever off so that your pinkie never has to move from the grip and you should be able to ride soon. Oh and pain pills never hurt :)

I never use more than two fingers on the clutch.  And pain pills definitely help.   ;)

excess

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/finger-injuries.html

i found this after a quick search seems to have some good info (a bit lengthy) on exercises and therapies to reduce recovery time.
I can't have you missing the rally you're the only one i know ;D

Hank

Ouch.  :o  Glad it wasn't broken.  You BETTER be ready for the rally!!!