News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

kdx200

Started by loingrader, August 05, 2009, 12:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loingrader

this is pretty boring but it's been slow around here lately so i thought, what the hey?

i finally bought and installed a usfs approved spark arrestor for the kdx that i've had for a few years.  i'm thinking about bringing it out in sept with my klr.  i don't ride it much at home and it should really shine out in the hills.  it is not plated, takes premix fuel and is not very fast, but i thought it would be fun for the many trails near the campground.  probably won't hurt having a spare bike on the off chance that i destroy something important on the klr. 

for those of you that don't know, the kdx is a 2 stroke, water cooled, woods bike.  it comes from the factory with headlight and tail light, fully adjustable suspension, weighs about 235 lbs and holds 3.3 gal of fuel.  unlike most 2 strokes, the kdx is built for low end power.  it has power right off of idle, almost like a trials bike.  i think it will work great in the really tough technical stuff.  i've got it all skidplated up so it shouldn't hurt to much if it decides to take a nap on the rocks. 

here's a pic of the retro fmf power core pipe.

and with the new fmf turbine core pipe. 

and a fleet shot.  i've got less than $3000 total in the 3 old ugly bikes.  pretty cheap fun!

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

Someday I'll have another KDX200.    When I got out of college I bought a new carryover '92 (I think.. maybe a 93).
It was really fun.   For some reason I sold it, then missed it.  A few yrs later I picked a KDX250, and I really never liked it much compared to the 200.

That thing will be a blast in the hills.

Nice stable BTW.

Number Two

I ride with a guy here in wyoming that has the same exact bike.  His is a lot worse for wear, but it's a sweet woods bike.  It probably tops out at 60 mph.  Any purpose built 2-stroke trail bike feels like a toy compared to the stuff we usually ride.  Hope to see the KDX in action this fall. 

I think you could plate it if you really wanted to.  At least in wyoming, you only need a headlight, taillight, and a horn (bicycle horn will do). 

loingrader

Quote from: Number Two on August 06, 2009, 01:33:25 AM
Hope to see the KDX in action this fall. 

you don't have to just SEE it, take the old girl for a spin if you want.

i know that i can license it here too.  sd is pretty lax in that regards.  the closest cop is 8 miles from where we live in the country, and i could ride that thing thru town all day long and no one would care if it's not plated.  i may plate it someday anyway.  we'll see.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

AWESOME!  Let's tear up some single-track!   :cheers
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

loingrader

as long as i don't have to cover too much pavement to get there, i'm all over the single track yeti (kdx).  if it's a ways away, i'll just take the klr.  don't want her to miss out on the trails too.