News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Packing list

Started by Hank, August 11, 2008, 07:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

To help the new guys (and the vets) out, lets get a good packing list together.   Bret, do you have your original list from the MSN site?
I'll start the the obvious stuff.  Please reply with additional ideas.  At some point, I'll move the additions to this original post and delete the replies to keep it clean and simple.

Camping Gear
Tent
Sleeping bag
Sleeping pad
Stocking cap
Headlamp / lighting

Gear
Helmet / Goggles
Jacket
Gloves
Sturdy boots
Rain gear
GPS/Maps

Personal stuff
Shaving kit
Bug spray
Sun screen
Clothes
Camp towel
Water Purifier

Tools
Factory toolkit
Crescent Wrench
Visegrips
Duct tape
Cable ties
Socket set, 1/4" drive, deep well, 6mm-12mm, with extension
Socket set, 1/4" drive, deep well, 13mm-19mm, with extension
8,10,12,13,14,17,19mm combination wrenches
Combination screw driver
Small tire irons
Assorted allen wrenches
12V compressor
Gerber
JB Weld

Spares / Supplies
Tubes
Fuses
Sparkplug
Tube patch kit
Water pump seal (KTM LC8 only  :-[ )
Chain lube
Engine oil

Not everyone needs everything, but between all members of each group, someone should have everything

The Yeti

OK, I got all that, except a water pump seal...but I know you got one, so I'm covered.  ;D Also, don't need no shaving kit, I'm campin man! Who gives a crap what I look like?? I don't usually carry oil, but the nine-fiddy seems to be eating a bit when ridden hard, so may have to figure out how to get a quart packed in somewhere...

What the hell is a Gerber? Baby food??
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Hank

;D Baby food.   One of those multi-tool things, with pliers, knife, saw, etc, etc.

OK so maybe a shaving kit is uncalled for.   Might not be bad if you're planning a Long Way Round type trip.  For the deodorant if nothing else.  :o

fringefan

Short and sweet.

tent
bag
pad
food
pot/stove
rum
klr
gas
masage oil for ryan ;D

Jared

I went camping on the bike last weekend, and since it was so warm I tried something different -- instead of a sleeping bag I brought one of those fleece blankets and a space blanket (the heavy duty kind with the grommets that's green on one side, not the $1.99 foil kind).
This combo worked really well, and I didn't even need both layers but I figure I wouldn't want to carry less.
Best part was how little space it took up in my bags.
Eventually I will splurge and get one of those fancy sleeping bags that compress way way down.

loingrader

my home computer is down, and the list is on there.  i'll retrieve it when i can.

a few things that come to mind.

camp towel
water filter/purifier pump
gps
forest service maps
headlamp

-bret
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

SO, I got a couple of these tool tube things and mounted 'em on the pannier mounts of the 950:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363078&highlight=storage

You can kinda see one of em in this pic:

My question to you guys is; I want to carry tools in these things, but don't want to just throw 'em in there. I'd like some kind of tool roll. I've looked around at local hardware stores to no avail. Any suggestions? The tubes are 10.5 inches long.

I've read that a 22oz MSR fuel bottle fits perfectly in these things. Is it worth carrying 22oz of extra fuel, or I could carry extra oil...

fringefan

Are they welding rod holders? I bought a socket set with a little ratchet that expands to a normal size and I put them in a Burlington Northern glasses case that I picked up from a buddy and it fits perfect. I also carry a full allen wrench set with tire levers, small roll of tape that fits in the lid and some small bungees and zip ties to pack them all in nice and tight. Not sure about the extra gas but it would work in a pinch.

LittleJacket

Since I magically give massages, I'll bring the oil.  Do you want 10w-30 or KY?  Maybe Rottella Sythetic would do the trick for a group of dirtballs like us.  I plan on bringing my own little Japanese gal to do my massaging!  I'll see if she has friends!
rpjohnso

The Yeti

Finally got the tubes loaded. Found a couple of (of all things) make-up bags that my wife had laying around (don't leave anything laying around that could be confiscated for dual-sport use  ;D ) that worked perfect! Got my socket set, allen wrenches, tire irons and other small tools in one side and extra tube in the other. Freed up enough room under my seat for my air compressor!

Hank

Stocking cap! Probably the single most important thing for keeping you warm at night if it gets really chilly. 

Jud

Quote from: The Yeti on August 13, 2008, 01:42:32 PM

My question to you guys is; I want to carry tools in these things, but don't want to just throw 'em in there. I'd like some kind of tool roll. I've looked around at local hardware stores to no avail. Any suggestions? The tubes are 10.5 inches long.

I stick my tools inside a length of inner tube and fold the ends over. It cushions the tools and protects them from dust and moisture.

While I am posting, I might as well suggest a couple of additions to the spares list:
Carb drain screw
Oil filler cap
Oil drain plug

Who'd ever think a guy might lose a carb drain screw? Never in more than 40 years of riding, but it happened to me riding up Batopilas canyon a couple of years ago. I rode 400 miles with a whittled plug before I found a replacement. The oil filler cap was left behind at a gas stop after topping up my oil. I lost a quart before I noticed it. My buddy found it on the apron when he went back to buy more oil, but while he was gone I had made a wooden plug for that one, too. Sgt. Marty lost his filler cap in Argentina, and ran his bike completely out of oil before he noticed it After that experience, I decided to carry spares for both. I have never lost a drain plug, but it seemed a good idea as long as I was assembling spares.

Dustin

I can second the oil drain plug. Maybe one of those self tapping ones?  ???

I almost lost mine after hitting a rock and it vibrating out to the last thread. Luckily I had a gut feeling to stop and check it.

Number Two

quicksteel - it's a metal reinforced 2 part epoxy like JB weld, but it's in putty form, so it can't leak over all your stuff.  I've fixed cases with it and a few other things.

that and toilet paper, I guess.

loingrader

good call.  at the june 2009 ddsr rally we used it (thanks Yeti) to fix the crankcase of our ttr225 after the shifter lever made a nice oil spewing hole.  the bike is now living in Zambia, Africa and the fix is still holding strong.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro