News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Date is good, what about location

Started by Hank, January 01, 2010, 09:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

OK, where will base camp be this year?   I don't think any of us were terribly impressed with the F/F last fall and we've done that area 4 times straight.    Time to move a little farther South this year?

loingrader

i don't mind the area, but would not be opposed to heading south.

if we like the area, i would rather stay at wild bills than f&f.  they're getting a little steep for my tastes.

whispering pines isn't much farther south.  at the silver city road.  gas is fairly close and the sugar shack is just a couple miles away.

i'm up for anything.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

fringefan

South is good and when it gets closer we need to start calling around for rates. Basic needs are access to food,fuel, and showers.

I think the new owner at FF charged more because of a communication issue between him and the previous owners. I let her know when we would be back so Brian did not let him know we would be there that weekend and he is the one that got us that rate.

LittleJacket

what happened last fall at fish n fry?  Just high rates or has something else changed?  I really like the old owners at fish n fry and that made it special to keep going back, but since their gone we can definitely look elsewhere without burning bridges.  I'm game to change venues if everyone else feels that way! 
rpjohnso

plumber mike

Sugar Shack area is a good central location. I'd like to be a little farther from home to explore some new to me trails, but i'm easy and will go anywhere.

Sportfaller

the folks at Whispering pines have always been good to the off road community, black hills four wheelers (jeep club) have their annual event there each year.  What about the USFS group site at sheridan lake?  Not as many amenities, but close to hill city/ three forks for fuel.  cheep too!
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

Dustin

I agree... We should try something farther south.

loingrader

sheridan lake would be a great idea sportfaller. 

i'd like showers but if there's a lake, who needs a shower?
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

fringefan

Sheridan Lake is not a cheap place to camp to the tune of $18-20 a night. I know a real nice spot off victoria lake road for free overlooking dark canyon but no water or showers.

Sportfaller

Fringefan, I know the individual camp spots in the south camp ground run 20/night, but I was thinking more along the lines of the north group site, by the marina.  I could check on the prices there
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

The Yeti

What about Bear Gulch group site at Pactola? Very secluded and close to Silver City trails....
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Sportfaller

checked on the FS group sites, they start at $50 per night for up to 25 people, and $100 per night for 100 pepole
Josh

hayduke.klr07

the benefit to group site at sheridan  is a. cheap  b. close to great jumping off points into the woods  c. close to fuel and beer and food  on the other hand the bad is no showers.  but then i do not care if i stink.  oh yea...i think i might actually make it this year.

hayduke.klr07

the other benefit is sportfaller and myself know the area well.  AND it is much closer to the jasper fire area.  talk about loop potential.  AND there is good coffee at the slate creek in hill city.

loingrader

is the site close to sheridan lake?  if i can wash all the dirt off my face by taking a dip in the lake, then i don't need showers either.  it get's pretty dirty being cleanup behind 20 eager dual sport riders!