News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Date is good, what about location

Started by Hank, January 01, 2010, 09:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

numb41

A few years ago, (like 10); I had hunted elk west of Custer.  I think I had more fun just driving around.  Is there a Hell's Canyon over there?  We took a trail that made us think twice about our decision.  All sandstone.  I would like to ride it again.  Has there been a consensus yet on what part of the hills the rally is to be at yet?  I'm not acquainted with all of the names or the locations you guys are talking about (F&F for example).  Don't get me wrong, it's all good!

The Yeti

F&F = Fish 'n' Fry Campground, just outside of Deadwood.

Yes, there is a Hell's Canyon just west of Custer, really pretty area. I've never ridden there off-road. Sounds interesting...

I *think* the consensus is to head south this year, but nailing down a final decision might take awhile with these guys.   ;D ???

My vote is for Sheridan Lake group spot -
Quote from: hayduke.klr07 on March 29, 2010, 06:31:49 PM
the benefit to group site at sheridan  is a. cheap  b. close to great jumping off points into the woods  c. close to fuel and beer and food  on the other hand the bad is no showers.  but then i do not care if i stink.  oh yea...i think i might actually make it this year.
Quote from: hayduke.klr07 on March 29, 2010, 06:33:53 PM
the other benefit is sportfaller and myself know the area well.  AND it is much closer to the jasper fire area.  talk about loop potential.  AND there is good coffee at the slate creek in hill city.
Quote from: loingrader on March 29, 2010, 10:31:30 PM
is the site close to sheridan lake?  if i can wash all the dirt off my face by taking a dip in the lake, then i don't need showers either.  it get's pretty dirty being cleanup behind 20 eager dual sport riders!

They got running water, just need a bucket and a wash cloth!
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

hayduke.klr07

how is this for loop potential?

Each square is one mile.  this is from the soon to be travel management map.  it isn't too different than what we have right now.  Gus and myself have been through a fair bit of this and it is pretty dog gone good.  doubt if we will see many other folks.  maybe a few ATV's is all.  it wold take i'm guessing 30 to 45 minutes to get to this country from sheridan lake campground.  less if you count just getting off the asphalt.  oh yea, and we will be able to ride nothing but two track to get there.  though that would take longer to get there.  i think a guy could get dizzy just riding in circles.

hayduke.klr07

hey sportfaller, have you ever been down Bowles Canyon?  i think that would make a huge loop to go south thru Bowles and back north up redbird then piece our way back north and east.  i'm going to have get my ass into shape.

Sportfaller

ohhhh yeah. good country up there. still need to find a smaller bike.... want to rent me a KLR?
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

hayduke.klr07

have one for sale!  '07 only 930 miles!

The Yeti

loingrader

Quote from: hayduke.klr07 on March 29, 2010, 06:31:49 PM
the benefit to group site at sheridan  is a. cheap  b. close to great jumping off points into the woods  c. close to fuel and beer and food  on the other hand the bad is no showers. 

i'm sold, and the poll encourages this location as well.  let's plan on the group side at sheridan if it is still available.  any objections?
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

fringefan

Sportfaller

Yes, reservations can be made online at http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/rockymtn/blkhcmp.htm.

There is also the privately owned campground by deerfield, Deerfield lake resort. they have fuel and c-store on site, closer to the riding...  I'll call today about group rates!

http://www.deerfieldlakeresort.com/
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

jacin theis

i'm in, just waiting for the location to shake out. Do we need to get money to someone for a group site? i'
m ready to meet you guys and ride. maybe even have a beer of two at the end of the day!!
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

The Yeti

Quotemaybe even have a beer of two at the end of the day!!

Maybe...maybe...?    MAYBE??!! 

:chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug
:chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug :chug

numb41

Now THAT"S funny!  I don't care who you are!

rdstrain1949

If you don't respect your elders, you'd best respect your betters. (the Duke)