News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Project: TDM

Started by Hank, January 08, 2010, 09:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank

Yeah so I picked up a 92 TDM850.  This is a bike I've wanted for a while, and the sale of the KTM pressed (and funded) the issue.

Pretty hard to find.  They were only imported for 92 and 93, and I'd never even seen one first hand before. They sold like crap in the US, hence the short two year run, but have been a good seller for Yamaha world wide are still in production as a fuel injected 900.   I think they've gone through several re-designs over the years.   Definitely ahead of their time for the US IMO.   Around 400 lbs, similar to the KTM950, and about 85 hp.  

Mechancially sound, cosmetically I suppose average for a 18 yr old bike that has spent some time "adventuring".    Its been down on both sides, but clearly at low or zero speed.  Only 13K miles.

Here it was after I got it home:

Here it is today:

I took a couple parts off.   :P

I'm going to powdercoat or paint everything.  Parts wise it doesn't need much other than a new front tire and a chain/sprockets.

Right now I plan to powdercoat the frame, swingarm, wheels, and every bracket that I possibly can matte black and I think I'll paint the plastic and tank a dark metallic charcoal.  Still up in the air on the front fender, black or charcoal.   The fairing lowers will be black and will likely paint the fork lowers black as well.

Might upgrade the gauges to one of these units:

http://www.electrosport.com/street/speedometers-series-3900.php

Just because they are so cool and really quite cheap for what they do.

I'll post some progress pics.   Right now I'm waiting on a bearing removal tool for the wheels, and I'm out of town (country actually) this week.   I hope I can get it all done by April.

fringefan

That is soo much better looking that a ....... what ever you call it.

Hank

Than my GS1100 project that you liked so well??    ;D

I like the dual "bug eye" headlights on this bike:

Dratharr

I love those TDM's, and have always wanted one, same with the Honda Trans Alp. I wonder how those bikes would sell now in the US? My guess is pretty good. These types of bikes are obviously becoming more and more popular in the States. I cant believe how many I see now epically within the Front Range of Colorado. Anyway that is a really great find, there are not many of those around I have only seen one on the Denver Craig's list in the four years I have lived out west.

Hank

I'm with you on the transalps too.  They have really gotten desirable now, 20+ years after they came out.   I remember when they were first released and no one "got it", including me.   Now I think they are great.

I've been looking long and hard for a TDM.   About 1 a month comes up on ebay, and a few pop on on Craig's, but I ended up driving to Boulder to get this one.  It made a good excuse to take a short family vacation to the Rockies over Thanksgiving.

I bet you are right that they'd sell OK here now too.  Vstrom sales are decent and it's a similar concept.

Hank

So I got my frame, swingarm, etc, back from powder coating today.  They did it the wrong **$#*^ color.  Insert exploding head smiley here.

loingrader

oh man that blows. what color should it have been and what color is it?  they gonna make it right?
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

I never would have guessed "flat black" could mean so many different things.

I asked for flat, and got more of a satin.  Next they found a sample of "flatter black" and it was still semi-shiny.  Flat should have NO reflectivity.   

They are getting in some actual flat and doing it over for me.      No big deal I guess.. just a bit of a PITA and lost time.    Spring is coming soon and I hope to have this beast back together in about 6 weeks.

Hank

I gave up on having perfectly matched blacks.   It was turning into a total PITA, and I noticed my blackbird has a combination of flat and gloss blacks and it looks good.

So the TDM came partially back together yesterday, now in stealth mode:

plumber mike

There is a guy on ADV with a WTB TDM thread. Given your track record, you must be about due to sell this thing :D It's looking sweet. Whats up with the NX in the background 250 or 650?

Hank

I'll sell it about 20 minutes after I get the last bolt back in.

J/K.. I plan to keep this one.

That's an NX250.   It's technically the wife's.

Hank

If anyone ever needs a seat redone, I'd whole heartedly recommend a local guy here in Watertown (Del-Mar Upholstery).
I've had him do a number of seats, and have been really happy.

Got the TDM seat back today.  I was all excited when I got the bike because it had a Corbin on it.  Well it was a Corbin, but it was pretty much sh!t.   It must have been almost as old as the bike as the cover was stiff as a board and one of the previous owners had either scooped out some of the foam or stored a bowling ball on the seat.   It was about the worst seat I'd ever sat on.

Took the seat in to Del-Mar and had them completely re-make the cover and refoam it, getting rid of the red piping in the process.

Looks great, as good as any factory seat.

It was a long wait, but the price was right and I'm really happy with the quality.

Hank

A nice closeup of the original POS:

fringefan

That looks pretty good. I wonder if could redo my original KLR seat to make it a dual platform? My dished is pretty decent but it pushes you towards the tank.

Hank

Saw my first TDM in the "wild" today.  It was the early style, just like mine.  Parked on a sidewalk.. in Munich!
Also saw a 750 Africa Twin.   They have cool bikes everywhere here.