News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Project: TDM

Started by Hank, January 08, 2010, 09:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loingrader

i saw my first tdm chained to a street pole in paris last year.  and yea, europe has all the awesome bikes.  in amsterdam the cops ride africa twins.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

I ended up seeing a number of TDMs, quite a few blackbirds, and hp2, just all kinds of cool bikes.  Then of course there are the cars.. MB, BMW, MB, BMW, porsche, alfa, jag etc etc.   I think I saw 1 ford.

Took yesterday off and got the beast put back together:

The paint work is disappointing.  I'm taking it back for buffing and some touch up.   There was supposed to be a chrome pin stripe on the paintline, but it didn't work out.  There are some bad spots, mismatches and a number of other screw ups.   The orange isn't quite what I expected, but it's growing on me so I'm OK with it.  Overall I like the paint scheme and powdercoat.

It needs a new windshield, but I haven't found a used on yet and a new one must ain't gonna happen (Yamaha is REALLY proud of it).  It has a few other rough edges too, but for now I'm just gonna ride it.  Maybe next winter....

Although the weather is CRAP today, I did ride it around 40 miles.  Its a pretty neat little bike.
It makes around 80hp, so its got decent power and likes to rev surprisingly much for a twin.  A few vibes but nothing offensive.    I flushed the brake fluid and bled thoroughly but I think new pads might be in order as the brakes are underwhelming.  Maybe I'm just too used to blackbird brakes?

It's got 6 or 7 inches of suspension and a decent ride, and it's really flickable.  I think it would be a riot in the twisties.   The new seat sits great, and the seating position is about perfect.  Perfectly upright and an easy reach to the bars.

The exhaust note isn't my favorite. I guess it sounds like a parallel twin, which is to say, quite boring.

Anyways, it's done, or at least close...

Hank

Oh and we better have a side by side before / after

Any difference?   ;D

fringefan

Nice job, I like it and love the paint job. It does not even look like the same bike and I think you might have found your calling in rebuilding bikes.

Dr Psyko

Yeah, really looks nice! Tell me again, why don't they sell those in the states?
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Hank

Thanks guys.  I'm pretty happy with results (other than the paint issues, which I think they'll fix).

I bet the TDM would sell pretty well now.  It's really a similar bike to the v-strom or versys, which both sell well.    They obviously sold real well in Europe, even in 92/93 when they were imported here as I saw 2 or 3 last week in Munich, one of which I know was a 93.

loingrader

it looks awesome hank.  what a sweet bike and an amazing transformation.  i bet if you put that on a yamaha showroom, everyone would think it was a cool new bike from yamaha.  not one that was 17 years old. 

nice work!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

Thanks guys!   Unfortunately I'm getting on a plane again, wish I was home to ride it.   I'll be back Wednesday though so it's a quick trip.
I think the black on the fairing lowers really changed the lines of the bike.  They look really big and bulbous with the original one color paint.  I think they look much better now.     Now it needs a break in ride, maybe a quick SS1K :)

Things remaining to do:  New windshield, brake pads, and I need to sand the road rash out of the mufflers.   Most of that can wait though.
Might have to go HID headlights too.

The Yeti

Simply beautiful!! Great job!

(Seriously, where's the drool smiley? If I ever needed one, now is the time.)
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"