News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

June Rally Location

Started by loingrader, January 27, 2010, 10:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where should base camp be for the June Rally

Fish n Fry/Wild Bills - great location near Deadwood, very familiar trails, little pricy.
Whispering Pines - near the Silver City area, still lots of trails, more new areas to ride
Hill City area - Pactola area, newer area for most.
Farther south - Custer, Sylvan, etc.
I don't care as long as it's cheap
I don't care as long as gas/food/beer is close
I came to ride, no preference whatsoever

loingrader

Alright, let's poll the board to see what everyone is thinking on their preference for the June Rally base camp location.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

I voted for Hill City, but really, wherever is fine with me.   I was just excited to participate in our first poll.

Sportfaller

I've been mapping trails in the southern hills at work this winter, lots of good riding options down here.  anywhere down south is good for me, cheap with close services preferred.
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

loingrader

i'm torn.  i love the trails around fish n fry, love camp 5 (like yeti), love everything about that location but the price. 

but...

what if there are awesome trails other places.  we're missing out on all of those!

i'm sure that there is great riding to be found all over the hills, but we won't know until we try it out.  when i think of the far southern hills i don't think of the trails as being as gnarly because the hills aren't as big, but i honestly don't know. 

i love any kind of riding, but i prefer tougher more remote trails at a slower pace than blasting down a dirt road, eating the dust of the 5 bikes in front of me all day long.  short blasts between connecting trails are awesome.  8 hours of eating dust isn't my favorite, but it's still pretty darn fun.

the one thing we give up by leaving the fish n fry area is we will spend more time scouting for good trails than riding the awesome trails that we have already found.  if we have some members doing recon and finding good trails (in other areas) before june, it would be awesome (thanks sportfaller).  i'm planning on this being a twice yearly event for many many years to come, so even if we have to invest some rally time finding good trails, we will be ahead in the long run.  eventually i see us having all the awesome trails in the entire black hills mapped out and rated so that anyone can come to the hills and ride the type of trails they want to (except for maybe the best trails that we can keep to ourselves  ;D)

bottom line, i came to ride!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

I think the F/F was too pricey too, but I'll bet he'd cut us a deal if we plan in advance.  I think the change of ownership caused a communication gap.   New stomping grounds would be great though.

As far as the cost, a cheap camp site is $8, a spendy one is $20.    I won't plan my weekend around $24 or $36 savings.   Lets go where the riding is good, and the beer flows like wine (to borrow a Dumb and Dumber line) :)

plumber mike

If the only problem with the FNF is the price you guys are more than welcome to pitch tents, campers etc. at my place. 5 miles to town and the trail leaving the backyard heads straight to the "hill" that was a good challenge last fall.

That said I would also enjoy the southern hills and some new trails, plus it's far enough for me to bring my things down on the bike and camp with you guys(maybe look like a real ADV rider type 8))

So I'm no help really.

Sportfaller

how about we keep the spring event in the northern hills, and do the fall ride in the south?  That will give us more time to scout and map the rides around Hill city, as well as explore the camping options.  A few dollars more per night doesnt bother me, as long as there are other perks, like free showers.  looking at the Whispering pines website, they charge $20/night to camp as well....
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

The Yeti

I coulda swore I posted a reply in this thread yesterday, but don't see it today  ???

Anyway, as soon as the trails are rideable this spring, you can bet I'll be out every day I can searching the southern hills for new trails!   :evil
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Sportfaller

if i can find some new semi-knobbies that dont wear out in only 2000 miles I'll be there with ya!  Heidiku's look good, but are stuck in customs....
Josh

fringefan

You guys pick the location. I think FnF will honor the original price as long as we give the new owner the heads up and maybe brian has to set it up. Either way I am open. I have always heard the southern hills are dryer in the spring so that might be some thing to consider.

LittleJacket

Hey, why is there no option to meet in Colorado?  JK, we'll save that for another weekend.  I really don't have a preference but I might suggest a different venue maybe towards Hill City.  I was all about going back to fish n fry a few months ago and I started thinking, why should we keep taking the same vacation(or rally) over and over again?  For many of us, this will be our 4th and 5th rally.  I've had a blast at all of them yet we need to explore new trails and areas.  I was sad to have missed out on the fall rally last year mainly because of the new trails and faces. So Lets Keep it Fresh!  Let me know where I can help.  I just moved to Denver for those who didn't know so thankfully I'm only 6 hours from the Black Hills!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a new job and work schedule will allow me to attend this year.   
rpjohnso

Sportfaller

how many folks usually attend? I was going to stop in the rafter J campground here in hill city this week and talk to them, but will need a rough number for a group rate.....  Fuel on site, free showers, VERY nice, but a little pricy.  here hoping for reasonable group rates! 8)

FMI, has anyone started a thread for DDSR '10 on ADVrider?

Josh

The Yeti

Our past rallies have been anywhere from more than 30 riders, to less than 10...so, it's really hard to say.   :-\
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

grubbie

Really looking forward to joining you folks on some of your rallies. I just have a question or two on how it all works. Is there some kind of fee? Is there some membership fee or anything like that? Also,....is there some kind of initiation ceremony, like shaving my head and getting a KLR tattoo? ;)

loingrader

no fees.  no hazing.  very low key.  come and go as you please.  everyone is welcome and we don't care what you ride.  some of the trails could be considered "initiation" but that's more about breaking in the bike than the rider. 

klr tattoos instantly give you street cred, and i shave my head, but it's not a requirement.   ;D