News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Ural Patrol vs Can-Am Spyder

Started by loingrader, February 09, 2010, 01:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loingrader

This doesn't really fit as a dual sport discussion, but I thought I would poll the board.

I realize that these "bikes" are basically on different ends of the spectrum, but they both have 3 tires which would allow us to ride more safely in the winter.  I'm getting really sick of being stuck in the cage for 75 miles a day...

Ural - engageable 2wd, awesome off road, cruises comfortably at 55mph, finicky russian "engineering" (aka not so reliable and lots of maintenence), quirky driving traits of a sidecar rig, retro (which is pretty cool)

Can-Am Spyder - 1 wheel drive, not as good in deep snow (but the traction control works very well i hear), much better on the highway (cruises at 90mph easy), much MUCH better engineering, not really a motorcycle, but so what.  Sometimes I think they are cool, sometimes i think they are gay.  Depends on my mood.

These vehicles cost about the same new, they both get pretty poor mileage (25mpg)have a learning curve on the operation.  Which one would you buy for a 75 mile commute and equal love for dirt and slab?
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Dustin

I really like the Ural's... I think they look pretty cool. If they were a little more reliable I would buy one.

Can-Am Spyder? Are you serious? The only way I would consider riding one is if I had penny lofers and a really bad lisp.

+1 for the Ural!

jacin theis

i would love to see a Spyder with some knobbies mounted up!!  i agree with your feelings on both "bikes". i have been trying to find a side car for my GS, but keep coming up with a complete Urall and sidecar for almost the same money (by the time you get a sidecar mounted properly).   My wife and I demo rode the Spyders, and found them fun, but really lost that "feeling". i have not ever ridden a hack, but can see the benefits of being able to remove the car, then there is the cost differacne of a good used sidecar rig to the Spyder. Good luck, hope to see you at teh rally this spring. I question weather the CanAm will have much value in 5 years, whereas most sidecar rigs seem to hit a bottom that you can find realativel often.   My opinion would be the sidecar.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

revin kevin

I just recently bought a old airhead BMW with a sidecar so I'm only slightly qualified. A bike with side car should go through alot more snow than the spyder trying to push 2 fat tires out front and 3 seperate tracks. For any off road use the 3 seperate tracks of the spyder would be a pain, how do you straddle a rut? As for the Urals, reliability is good on 06 and newer units, they're way cool but do require  a fair amount  of maintainance. 1 or 2 wheel drive on a Ural  isn't going to make alot of difference unless you're really going extreme off road, 1 wheel drive will suprise you where it will go. Crusing speed on a Ural is going to be 55 or 60 comfortably. Did I say a Ural is cool? A 75 mile commute would be nicer on a spyder no doubt but if you want dirt roads get the Ural or some kind of used outfit. If  new was the only was I was going to buy, I'd go with a Ural Tourist 1 wheel drive and sit back and enjoy the ride to work everyday at a slower pace. I always wanted a Ural but the prices have gone through the roof, and used are few and far between. I bought my used BMW and so far it's great, simalar to a Ural with better reliabilty ect. and way less than half price of a new Ural. This summer I plan on being on more gravel than pavement with it.

Dr Psyko

Get a KLR with a side hack... (see web...)
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

fringefan

You should throw in a trike ;D

Not a fan of the Spyder and I have to say the Ural 55mph for 75 miles is an extra 25 minutes a day if it is one way but if it had to be one it would be the Spyder  just based on comfort and time. I lived on that side of the state and the faster I can get to where I am going the better and chances are if it is bad enough to have snow ruts you have another mode of transportation to take.

I would rather ride my bikes than work on them so that is a huge negative for the Ural not to mention the 55mph but I would bet a TKC80 would look great on the back of the spyder ;D

Hank

I think they're both cool but for totally different purposes.   I would think the spyder would be nearly worthless on anything more offroad than gravel.   Probably pretty fun on the highway.

Ural, just the opposite.

loingrader

keep the input comin!

this bike is more of a want than a need.  i've got bikes that are great on road or off road, and i've got 4wd for the nasty days.  there are so many days i could ride but a little patch of ice or snow pack somewhere between home and work keeps the bike in the garage.  i would like to have one i could drive on crappy days, but i'm not going to drop cash on a bike just to use for commuting when there is snow.  i need to justify another use for it.  

i think on packed snow or not so deep snow the spyder with a snow tire (like blizzaks) would do pretty well, but obviously in deep snow a ural would do better. i'd never take a spyder off road, but a ural would shine off road. the ural is a great sunday put-put ride rig with a kid in the hack, but the spyder would rule on the interstate.  another plus for the can-am is that anyone who can ride a sled, and most people who can ride a 4 wheeler, could hop on the spyder and take off down the highway with relative ease.  it could get some friends riding who would be scared of 2 wheels.  i don't think anyone could hop on a hack and be safe on the highway without quite a bit of practice.  

the can-am does not have as much to rust or be affected by winter road salt.  the urals are rusty before they come off the ship from russia.   their sheet metal as well as their electronics hold up very poorly to road salt. 

when i leave for work i HAVE to get there on time, period.  if the ural stranded me on the way to work even 1 time it would be too many.  i doubt if the can-am would ever leave me on the side of the road.  if i could get a bmw 2wd sidecar rig for the price of the ural, there would be no question i'd get the hack.  the quirkiness of the ural keeps it from being worth $14000+ to me.  the poor mileage and weirdness of the spyder keep it from being worth $14000 to me.  

i saw an 06 patol on craigslist for $6100 which seemed pretty good, but in 08 there were so many improvements that i don't really want anything older.  improvements on that ol russian pig are pretty important.  the spyders are rarely less than $12000, but i'll bet the prices keep coming down.  

i almost bought a klr with a chair.  i won one on ebay for $2500 but the guy didn't let me buy it.  that is an option for sure, or i could just build an outrigger for my klr.  the kits from dauntless add up pretty darn quick, especially compared to a $6100 2wd ural.  it's a tough call!

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

plumber mike

It sounds like your getting to the age that you should look at a Lehman Trike Goldwing with a teddy bear strapped to the back :D. Does your morning commute invole interstate riding? Maybe one too many wheels, but I used to have a Yamaha Raptor that would do 80 no problem (no interstate :-[). This poor, cool young hipster would love a 2WD Ural. I saw I guy down in Lead riding one after a big snow and instantly became jealous. It sounds like the KLR with some studded snows would fit the bill for the isolated ice patches and save you thousands. Let us know what you get.

numb41

I really like the look of the spyder but price and the weird factor kept me from even test driving it.  The ural is a different cat as well but I would probably go that route.  In last month's Rider magazine, there was an article about a guy from MN who rode his ural year around.  He even put toulene in his gas when it got really cold.  After you read that article, I'm guessing you'll put your order in for one.

loingrader

Quote from: numb41 on February 10, 2010, 09:00:22 AM
After you read that article, I'm guessing you'll put your order in for one.

that was a cool article, but it almost turned me away from the ural for a winter ride.  his chair's fender was covered in rust and he said that he loses electronics every winter.  the spyder would start with the push of a button and is much more resistant to the affects of road salt (i hear from the spyder forums). 

that rider also had a write up on the spyder, which got me thinking that direction...

and thanks for the advice mike.  i've already got a silverwing.  don't think i need a goldwing trike for another couple years.  i don't ride any interstate.  just 65mph highways.  i also considered just getting a sled.  i could ride a sled to work easy every day the last 2 months.  a klr with studs will do great on the ice patches but on the clear pavement it feels like riding on marbles.    there are videos on youtube of urals in the snow and sand.  they gave me serious ural envy. 

a klr with a home built outrigger and tire studs would be the cheapest way to go for sure. 

hayduke.klr07

you could buy a convertable.  that way it would only be half a cage, you could drive it thru the winter and when it isn't snowing you could put the top down and freeze your ass off. ;D 
i've thought the same thing for commuting in the winter.  there is always that one area of snow or ice or worse, black ice, when you think you are good to go.  i've entertained the idea of a 4 wheeler just for commuting since it appears the state isn't going to revoke that idea anytime soon.  but that would be a hellava commute on a 4 wheeler.

in this debate i'd go for the ural only for the cool factor vs. the gay factor.

rdstrain1949

Old BMW $2,000.00, used Velorex $500.00.  My winter rig was a 73 BME w/Velorex.  It went anywhere I ever needed to go.  (put a small car battery in the hack for winter starting)  Personally I'd go with the BMW rig over the Ural or 3wheel whatizit.  (I'd rather be a Nazi than a gay Russian)
If you don't respect your elders, you'd best respect your betters. (the Duke)

jacin theis

i have been looking pretty hard for a sidecar for my GS. If you see one for 500, let me know or buy it and i will give you 600. I figure the GS as a hack for the kids, and the wr250 for me and the woods should cover most of my bases.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

rdstrain1949

Saw a hack for sale just recently.  Can't remember where.  Another blasted senior moment.  I'll let you know IF I remember. 
If you don't respect your elders, you'd best respect your betters. (the Duke)