News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

KLR650 valve check

Started by loingrader, March 29, 2010, 10:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loingrader

finally got around to checking the valves on my 92 klr650 with 14000 miles.  to my knowledge they have never been checked.  the left exhaust and left intake were a little tight so i swapped out the shims to get them back into spec.

it has ran great since day 1.  i thought it started good before.  now i can't even get my finger off the starter before it fires up. 

took maybe 3 hours total, start to finish (not including waiting for the shims to come in the mail).
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

OOFDA

Loingrader - Doing that job in 3 hours you should be on the Kawasaki race team. It took me twice as long. Probably has something to do with me being retired. I found one exhaust valve loose out of spec. At 4k miles on the bike!
The really fun part of maintenance was when I pulled the rear suspension apart and greased the bearings. From the factory they had just a smear of grease, probably just enough to keep them from rusting. All I have to do is muster enough ambition to do the steering head bearings and the clutch cable.

Well Done
OOFDA

loingrader

those bearings are a messy pain, BUT, it will save you from replacing all your suspension bits down the road. 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro