I'm gonna miss my little XT (just babbling)

Started by grubbie, April 26, 2010, 09:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grubbie

Took a little ride tonight, me on the 08 XT250, the wife on a CRF230L. I have a WR250R on order and have to trade the XT in to get it. But there's a lot that I'm gonna miss about that XT. Such a cool little bike, light, low, and easy to handle. I've really enjoyed it. I am sure the WRR will make me forget about it in short order though. Pretty lucky guy,...just walk out my door and start riding. Lots of good riding here on the ranch, you name it, we got it. The wife is getting better on her bike, although tonight she was forced to negotiate her first mud hole. Mudhole- 1,....Heidi- 0. She has 200 miles on her bike, (her first bike ever at 45 years old) and has laid it over twice on trails. She must be doing something right!

The Yeti

Hey Grubbie!

QuoteBut there's a lot that I'm gonna miss about that XT. Such a cool little bike, light, low, and easy to handle.

I'm not familiar with your XT250 or the WR250F, but I can tell you that the WRR is definitely not little, light or low.  IMO, for a 250, it's relatively tall & heavy.  Of course, compared to my previous bike (KTM 950A), it's a friggin' feather...but if you're used to a very light dirt bike, it may seem on the heavy side.

QuoteI am sure the WRR will make me forget about it in short order though.

I don't doubt that at all.   ;D

QuotePretty lucky guy,...just walk out my door and start riding. Lots of good riding here on the ranch, you name it, we got it.

I'd love to see it!  Where exactly in NE WY are you located? Don't want to impose, but maybe I could come out sometime and see your place...?

QuoteThe wife is getting better on her bike, although tonight she was forced to negotiate her first mud hole. Mudhole- 1,....Heidi- 0. She has 200 miles on her bike, (her first bike ever at 45 years old) and has laid it over twice on trails. She must be doing something right!

That's awesome for her!  Tell her I've been trying to get my wife on her own bike for 20 years, she's too chicken.  ;)  Seriously though, I'd never make her do something she doesn't feel comfortable doing, especially when you can actually kill yourself doing it.   8)  So, tell your wife, "Good on ya!"
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

grubbie

Yeah I have sat on the R2, I know it's quite a bit taller, which is actually one of the reasons for the upgrade. I am not a big guy at 5' 10", but that XT was just a bit too cramped while sitting, felt like my knees were in my chest. Our place is east of Gillette, by the way. So what mods have you done to your R2? I am going to ride it for a while before I get too carried away with mods. It seems like it should be okay stock, but that could change. Planning on a rack and skid plate for sure, and a rotopax for some longer runs. Planning on pulling the camper to the hills and exploring a bit on the bike. Hopin one of you guys can show me some trails! Pretty excited about the new bike, wish it would friggin get here.........

The Yeti

QuoteSo what mods have you done to your R2?

Thumpertalk skidplate
2" Rox Risers
Fastway F3 series pegs
Hammerhead shift lever
RAM mounts for my GPS & SPOT
Wolfman Enduro tankbag and tool kit
Alaska Sheepskin butt pad
13T front sprocket
Speed bleeders for front forks
D606s front & rear (almost worn out now)
Zeta bark busters w/turn signals
Low profile tail light/turn signal assembly
Grip Puppies
Set up suspension per High Five's settings (ADVRider)
Dropped forks in triple tree 1/4" (helps balance suspension when you have the rear cranked all the way up)

That's all I can think of...there's still much more to do!   :o

QuotePretty excited about the new bike, wish it would friggin get here.........

Can't blame ya there, but at least the weather isn't all that great, that would be even worse.   :(

grubbie

XT???? What XT???? Only have 35 miles on the WR, can't even remember what the XT looked like. Gotta get it broke in before June 18 rally!! Of course, I did get it just in time for the 3 to 6 inches of snow we are supposed to get tonight. >:(

The Yeti

Do tell...did you just get it today?  What do you think of the bike so far...positives, negatives?  Have you been off-road yet?  If so, what terrain did you tackle?  Yours is brand new, right?  Don't forget to do those early/often oil changes!

P.S. Ditch those stock tires before you come out for the rally...yeah, they suck!

grubbie

Quote from: The Yeti on May 05, 2010, 11:30:18 PM
Do tell...did you just get it today?  What do you think of the bike so far...positives, negatives?  Have you been off-road yet?  If so, what terrain did you tackle?  Yours is brand new, right?  Don't forget to do those early/often oil changes!

P.S. Ditch those stock tires before you come out for the rally...yeah, they suck!
I got it home today at 3 PM, had to be at work at 5 PM, so not much of a test, but here goes. Keep in mind I am not an expert rider so these are just an average guys opinions.
Much more comfy than the XT cause it's TALL and I don't feel so cramped up. On the other hand, I can only tip toe with both feet while on a level surface. Fired it up, sounds nice! I see there are some of the neighbors heifers on the wrong side of the fence, so off I go to chase them out. Everything feels pretty good bouncing around pasture and sagebrush, got the job done, now for a ride. On the gravel road, feels real good, plenty of power even though I am taking it a little easy for break in. Took it up to 55 indicated, 50 on GPS. Okay off the road. No trails here, just ranch land, hills, rocks, dirt. First thing I noticed is how nicely it climbs. So nicely that I start climbing things that I would never attempt on my other bikes.  I stayed out in the hills and did 35 miles of climbing, testing, and exploring. Took a few small jumps, peeled a couple cookies, etc. Loved every minute. Like I said, I am not the wildest rider in the world, and at 45 years old I'm not likely to start getting wilder now. (But this bike could change that.) I didn't think the tires were that bad, but I guess I've never had a real quality set of tires to compare them with. I will wear them out before I replace them. I have seen all the mods folks are doing to these bikes, but this bike is already of a higher standard than it's rider, so it will likely remain stock. The gearing seems good to me for trails as well as road, and it has plenty of power for my ability. I might make some suspension adjustments, might lower it a little, but for now that will be it. I did notice on the gravel the front wheel tried to slide out from under me on sharp corners, like turning onto another road. maybe I can lose some tire pressure to help that? Got a skid plate and rack on the way, not sure how "farkley" I'll get after that. Looking forward to the rally, hope Im not getting in over my head, but I'm damn sure gonna have fun trying to hang with you guys! (If I can't keep up, I'll just go back and guard the beer.)

Hank

Congrats on the new ride!

Don't worry about keeping up at the rally.   The speeds never get that high, and if we encounter a section that is too gnarly for anyone's taste there is always a way around or at least a number of people to help you pick up your bike (or help you get it through stuff).

The Yeti

Glad you like the little WRR, isn't it just a fun ride?

You can lower it using stock shock adjustments:

http://www.wrrdualsport.com/tech-guide/suspension/115-lowering-r2

After you do this, the front end should have a bit more bite to it.  The stock WRR has a bit of a "stink bug" posture from the factory. Either lowering the rear or raising the front (by dropping the forks about a 1/4" in the triple tree) helps quite a bit.

The stock tires really aren't that bad until you get into anything slick; mud, wet rocks, watercrossings, etc.  But, they are very capable, especially if you lower the pressure to around 18psi.  When you do replace them, I can whole-heartedly recommend the D606s.

Like Hank said, don't worry about keeping up...if we come to a section that's just to gnarly for you, there's always a way around or lots of help to get you through!   ;D  Just keep in mind that we won't be riding anything that I (and Hank) didn't take our 950s through...the little 250 is a breeze!

grubbie

Okay, lowered the suspension, acerbis hand guards, flatland skid plate, flatland rear rack, cortech tank bag, cortech tail bag. Oh yeah,...and it's first wreck, before the 100 mile mark. Damn thing is gonna get me in trouble, makes me a little braver than I should be.

The Yeti

Quote from: grubbie on May 08, 2010, 06:40:54 PM
Damn thing is gonna get me in trouble, makes me a little braver than I should be.

Yup.   :evil ;D :evil ;D