News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Jared from Sundance WY

Started by Jared, August 13, 2008, 11:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared

Hi guys!  Glad to see a new forum!  For some reason MSN Groups aren't that user friendly for me so I didnt' check in there as often as I'd like.

Anyway, let's see ... stats:

Ride: KLR650
Experience: <200 hrs, bought the bike last August and it was my first time on a motorcycle, and then of course I didn't ride over the winter.  Trying to make up for that now though!
Big Trips: Sundance to Chicago last fall, Sundance to San Diego a month ago
Local riding: most Bear Lodge Mtns, and then the Wyoming side of the Black Hills ... mostly USFS and fire roads, although I'll throw in 2-track and single track when I'm with my buddy on his dirt bike or I'm just feeling adventurous.  I also use it to commute around town, and to go to Spearfish and Rapid when I don't need the truck.
Projects: need to do the doo, install heated grips, upgrade subframe bolts, lube the swingarm, ummm, other stuff to I'm sure.

fringefan

Welcome back, how was the trip back through Rawlins?

Jared

Well, the way out I from Casper to Evanston yes I went the Rawlins-Rock Springs route, and HOLEEEE SHIT never again!  Between the wind and the semi's I felt like I was fighting for my life. :O
The way back I turned north at Rock Springs and went Farson-Riverton.  MUUUUCH better. :)

I even posted from Evanston asking for help: http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48420

fringefan

Yeah I read that. I ride to Casper frequently for work and it can get windy here but Rawlins is much worse. That interstate is actually scary in a car at night with all those trucks.

Jared

Here's me leaving San Diego --

fringefan

Your bike looks like mine when we headed out to fishnfry for our ralley ;)

Not many guys ride with coolers

Jared

Yup, a cooler and a milkcrate -- my luggage is Ghetto Fabulous! :D

fringefan

That why we ride KLR's ;)

People thought my wooden hwy pegs where getto and the tractor muffler is right up there with my home made windshield.

Hank

I rode my KLR in 45 mph + crosswinds a couple times, and that defines "no fun".   No bike is fun in that kind of wind, but the KLR is especially bad.   I always blamed the big scoop of a front fender.  Did you have your Acerbis fender on at the time?

Jared

Yeah I did have the Acerbis so I'm sure it wasn't as bad as it could've been.

I keep waffling on a fork brace ... with the long trips I take it would nice, but I'm worried about compromising my handling in the rough stuff.  I've heard it makes the rough stuff rougher, since there's less "slop" so movement gets transferred more.

flexlarson

Jared
It was nice to meet you.
Head over this direction anytime and lets ride.

I do love the Milkcrate rack. I respect a guy that makes his own stuff.
"Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. do it.
... it gets harder before it gets hard.... Get up here..

The Yeti

Jared,

Are you not gonna make it out for the Rally this weekend? Didn't see you say yay or nay anywhere...
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Jared

No I won't be able to. :(  Forgot I've got table at the Rapid gun show this weekend, and we're going to Ring Wars Sat nite.  Depending on the ride situation I may have the bike and try to hook up at some point to at least ride, leave my buddy at the show to man the tables.

I'm meeting Chad on Wed for our mini-tech day, and will give him everyone's stickers.

The Yeti

Quote from: AquaTop on September 15, 2008, 05:20:15 PM
No I won't be able to. :(  Forgot I've got table at the Rapid gun show this weekend, and we're going to Ring Wars Sat nite.  Depending on the ride situation I may have the bike and try to hook up at some point to at least ride, leave my buddy at the show to man the tables.

Well, hopefully you can join us for a bit anyway.

QuoteI'm meeting Chad on Wed for our mini-tech day, and will give him everyone's stickers.

How are we gonna pay you for all those stickers if we don't see ya??
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Jared

Hmm, I'll probably see Chad for some KLR-ish stuff, how about if everyone just pays him and I'll pick it up next time I'm in Rapid if it doesn't work out for this weekend?