News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

starter switch?

Started by Dr Psyko, May 18, 2010, 01:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Psyko

My 2006 KLR has developed a funky behavior where sometimes when you press the button the starter will engage, sometimes not. Usually, I hit it a couple of times and good to go. The last couple of days it has been more reluctant, now this morning despite a dozen or so attempts, no start. Looking carefully at the button, it appears to be a bit newer then the other controls on the handlebars. My first thought is to replace the starter button, but that might have already been done. Got to wondering if vibration might shake the connections loose somewhere in the wiring harness.

Anyone come across this before?

Thanks,

Dr. Psyko
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Hank

I've never heard of that issue on a KLR before (and never saw it on your bike either!) but the first thing to do would likely be disassemble the switch pod and look over the button "guts" and maybe hit it with some contact cleaner.    Second place would be the starter relay.  Could be a sticky relay I imagine.

Do you get any clicking when it doesn't work, or just dead silence?

Dr Psyko

Thanks Hank, yeah it is a recent issue. Didn't do it the first few times I rode. No clicking or "attempts" to do anything. Just nothing. Are those relays hard to get to?

loingrader

my bet is the switch on the handlebar and i would unscrew and inspect before i spent any money. 

when it doesn't start, does pulling in the clutch or putting the kickstand down and back up again change anything?  there are safety switches in those too.

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

Ah yes, Bret has a great point. The sidestand switch would be a very wise place to look as they are known to be flaky on KLRs.  A lot of guys get rid of them.

If you disconnect it and jumper the wires in the connector (on the cable side) and it starts, you'll know.  At least I'm assuming it should be jumpered.   I guess unplug the cable, try starting it, then jumper it and try starting it and you'll have tried both possibilities.

loingrader

i bypassed the clutch and the kickstand safety starter lockouts.  both were shot on my bike.  i have to be careful, but i'm a pretty careful guy most times. 

of course there is that occasional occurance when i turn the key, the neutral light turns on, i hit the starter and it is still in gear (false neutral) and wants to take off down the road without me.  that has happened a couple times.

i've yet to ride off with my kickstand down.  hopefully i never do!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Dr Psyko

How do you bypass those circuits? Electrical stuff always makes me paranoid.

fringefan

Here you go
http://www.karmasect.com/lockout_removal.htm

I did it a few years ago and if you need help give me a call 605-415-0909

Another thing to check is make sure the battery connections are solid because that did happen to me on the trail and it sounds pretty similar to what you have. The relay and kick stand bypass are not bad things to do just to eliminate issues down the road and I hated having to have my bike in neutral to start it but you have to make sure you always put the kickstand up ;D

rdstrain1949

Don't overlook the kill switch.  I luv elektriks.
If you don't respect your elders, you'd best respect your betters. (the Duke)

Dr Psyko

New symptom this morning. My son was out in the garage messing around with his new $40.00 mini bike (how could that not be fun?), and decided he needed to play with the KLR switch, and discovered that it works but only if you press it LIGHTLY dead on center. Me thinks the switch needs to be cleaned...

Psyko

Hank

I think you're right!    Easy fix in that case.

Dr Psyko

New wrinkle! If I don't pull in the clutch, it starts everytime! ::)

fringefan

Has it always been that way? I did the bypass on mine and I don't have to pull the clutch.

loingrader

Quote from: fringefan on May 28, 2010, 08:16:53 AM
I did the bypass on mine and I don't have to pull the clutch.

yep, me too.

Dr Psyko

Kinda strange not to grab the clutch when starting a cycle, I do it automatically. But, if it saves me some dinking around with electrics, and I can reliably ride; I'm all in.