News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Counter Sprocket

Started by OOFDA, May 26, 2010, 08:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OOFDA

I am sure some of you have tried this but I'll go ahead anyway.
While riding the pavement it always seemed my 08 KLR needed another gear. Plus I wanted to lower the rpm which effects the oil usage. I took off the 15 tooth counter sprocket and put on a 16 tooth. The engine now turns 3500 rpm at 55 mph. The bike seems to like the reduced rpm and has less vibration. Haven't checked oil usage yet but with the changes already made I'm sure it will make some improvement. Didn't have to do anything with the chain, had enough adjustment. I also bought a 14 tooth to ride the trails. Haven't had it on yet but I don't think I will have an issue with the chain.
The plan is if I have to ride the highway to get to the trails use the 16t then change to the 14t and ride the trails.

Comments?

OOFDA

loingrader

sounds like one heck of a plan.  i'd assume it would work great.  i've got stock gearing but it feels a little too low on the road and a little to high off road.  your solution should take care of both ends. 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Caseyjones

The stock gearing didn't work for me for long either, far to much roadway in this region.  My bike was still pretty young when I went to the 16t and have since ridden to Chicago and back with surprisingly good results.  As far as oil usage, its just a given over about 5k RPM.  More have this problem than not.  I just keep an extra qt. of Rotella in the saddlebag.  I even had the 16t on for some trail riding, its a bit tall but its ok, I will get a 14t for the summer and a quick change sprocket nut (available through sources listed on this site) so I can go back and forth as needed.  Perhaps I'll order the 17t when I get the 685cc engine kit.

I had the 16t on during some trail riding and I to will carry the 14t and quick change nut in the bag for on the spot changes.

OOFDA

Just came back from a ride. I sure do like the 16t sprocket and I agree the gearing is a bit too tall for tight trails. Will a 17t fit without modification? Hey - thanks for the heads up on the sprocket nut. I was about to fire up the mill and make my own. The only issue I found was the stock 15t has a boss on the engine case side. The replacement spockets were flat and the washer/spacer included lacked about .050 from putting the sprocket in its original position. It was too close to the engine case. This would probably only matter to an anal person like me so I machined a spacer of the proper width. The KLR is a great bike but understand I have an affliction that causes me to "improve" everything. Its a good thing I don't own a Rolls Royce!

OOFDA

Caseyjones

To use the 17t sprocket you have to do some minor clearancing around the plastic sprocket cover but otherwise its pretty straight forward.  I want more torque before I gear it up any more than I already have.  I have not ever personally installed one but have read the threads and viewed pictures of the clearance issues resolved.  It sure doesn't appear to be very tough at all, especially if you are able to machine your own bits and pieces.  I have a couple decent hills on the way home and often I ride with my wife so 2 up and a 17t, not thinking so without first adding some more grunt.

fringefan

Love the 14t off road and I also have a 16 for the road although I have never used it.

If you use oil you might want to check out the PCV valve mod (i think that is what they call it) which is supposed to eliminate the oil consumption under high RPM.

Caseyjones

I'm going to order the 14t counter sprocket and a quick change nut today, I cant recall which vendor does them both.  I checked the site vendors and didn't find anything.  Where is a good place to order both items from same vendor.  My bike currently wears a 16t but I'm going to keep a 14t in the saddle bag next to my extra oil.  I definatly want to be ready for trails this summer and I have no problem with spending 10 minutes changing it at either end of the dirt.

OOFDA

All I have done to my 2008 for oil consumption is the Thermo Bob mod which keeps the engine at a constant temp. I installed the Mercedes reed type PCV. And vented the crankcase breather to atmosphere with a K&N breather. These mods greatly reduced oil usage. Now with changing sprockets to reduce the rpm I won't have a problem with a little oil consumption. Thats a mighty big piston to be turning high rpm for a prolonged period. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!!  Has anyone come up with other solutions? I've heard Suzuki is having the same issues an their DR 650.

OOFDA 

fringefan

Just make sure the sprocket is not aluminum when you buy one.

Caseyjones

Only steel sprockets for this guy!
For oil control, I have heard some had good results with the reed valve and others have not, the only TRUE solution according to many is the 685 piston/cyl kit. I will do that but just not yet.  I just carry extra oil and keep an eye on it.

OOFDA

Thats my plan also. I wonder if Kawasaki has made any changes in the newer engines to address oil consumption? Just ride and enjoy!

OOFDA

Caseyjones

Ride and Enjoy ---  that's exactly the plan.  Once I find a well priced 685 kit I'll pick it up but for such a cheap bike to begin with I think its just fine. I'll just gear it up as much as I can for road trips and carry extra oil.  Its reasonably farkled now, next will be fork brace and shock/springs and that's it.

For now I will find a source for the 14t and quick change nut, I plan to keep this bike for thrashing around in the woods and shorter trips, I'm going to pick up an F800GS for longer trips (and thrashing around in the woods as well).

I think if any readers know the source Im going to pick up the 17t as well as the 14t,  Sometimes I end up heading out for road trips on a moments notice.

OOFDA

I got my sprockets from "KLR650.com". I have seen nuts advertised at "Eagle Mikes". The style of nut I am looking for has a relief, groove, machined part way across the threads and a set screw which when tightened spreads the threads to prevent loosening. I'll be dipped if I know the name of that style, but if I can't find one, highly doubtful, I will make it.
Well, gotta go clean up the old beast. Riding over to the Springfield Mile tomorrow. I see the hills have unlimited hydroplane races this summer. That would be interesting. Of course we live close to Knoxville and the sprint cars. Too many races - Too little time.

OOFDA

fringefan

Pretty sure I got my sprockets from Happy trails but they are not happy trails brand.