News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Dakota bound

Started by markhdteck, June 13, 2010, 07:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markhdteck

Will be headed to the Dakota's solo in July,leaving GA. on the 12th.
So where would be some good places to ride dirt,and some good camping area's that's not KOA type camp grounds.
I will be riding the BMW R1150GSA w/Tourance tires,and loaded heavy for a month long trip.Wanting to see the Badlands,Devils tower,Grasslands.Before heading to Montana.....  ;D......Will be coming up thru back roads from Nebraska into Pine Ridge InDn Rez....So what would be a good route from there w/camping?

Mark
2004 BMW R1150GS ADV.
2006 YAMAHA WR250
2007 BMW F650GS DAKAR

numb41

You don't want to stay at a KOA type?  Anywhere in the Nat'l grasslands.  The trick will be to find a dry spot.  If you're from GA, you're used to clay.  That's what the grasslands are full of.  You can also camp anywhere in the Black Hills. 

fringefan

I think around White Clay there is a camp ground some of the guys camped at a few years back on the way out. I would be careful camping on the rez but if you make it to the river there are plenty of places to stop I would consider safe.

markhdteck

Sorry,what I meant was,I dont want to stay at a high end motorhome campgrounds like the KOA's we have around here.lol.. ;D...primative campgrounds or some of the cheaper campground is what I'm looking for,I guess the state park campground will be my best bet for when I'm traveling thru the Badlands.. 8)
Yep,plenty of red clay!......Thanks for the info

Quote from: numb41 on June 14, 2010, 09:45:18 AM
You don't want to stay at a KOA type?  Anywhere in the Nat'l grasslands.  The trick will be to find a dry spot.  If you're from GA, you're used to clay.  That's what the grasslands are full of.  You can also camp anywhere in the Black Hills.  
2004 BMW R1150GS ADV.
2006 YAMAHA WR250
2007 BMW F650GS DAKAR

markhdteck

Yes,I'll see if I can't find some info on the campground you mentioned..... ;D
I do want to see the Wounded Knee Memorial,but I think that,that would be disrespectful camping on the Rez without permission,probaly get you into trouble with the local native peoples. you kinda can't blame em!
Is any of the roads dirt that goes from the rez to the Badlands?
Does the rivers cross over the roads or are they bridges on most dirt roads?
I'm use to crossing rivers and creeks,just dont want to get into any trouble alone w/no help & loaded w/gear.. :-[,cause I have many more miles to ride,Hell I guess it wouldn't be an Adventure with out taking some chances.lol... ;D

Thanks for info

Quote from: fringefan on June 14, 2010, 05:48:32 PM
I think around White Clay there is a camp ground some of the guys camped at a few years back on the way out. I would be careful camping on the rez but if you make it to the river there are plenty of places to stop I would consider safe.
2004 BMW R1150GS ADV.
2006 YAMAHA WR250
2007 BMW F650GS DAKAR

fringefan

I think there are camp grounds on the Rez and yes you will find roads all over the badlands but I am not sure how many are on a map. Much of the Badlands are located on the Pine Ridge reservations only 20-30 miles to the eastern part from Rapid City. With the rain we have had I would stay on gravel if you can find it or blacktop because the soil is more like clay when it is wet and there is a chance of rain. Many of the roads might not be on maps and they are hard to navigate so it could easily turn into a serious adventure in a very desolate place.  It is great country to see so I my only advice is you want to be careful on the Rez especially at night.

Which river are you referring the Missouri of the Cheyenne? With the water levels I doubt you could cross the Cheyenne or the big Missouri.  If you can post your travel route up or post up a link and some of the guys will give you suggestions on good back roads.  Ride safe I look forward to talkin with ya