News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

How's Yeti

Started by plumber mike, June 20, 2010, 02:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceycold

Yeti,
all the best on the recovery thing, let us know how the dr visit goes/went today. and with the pills keep the protection on just in-case you have to get up and walk to say ... the bathroom.

feel better soon
DL1000- 07 >gone but not forgotten<
R12RT- 08
DR 650- 09
for God sake do it before 2012

Sportfaller

Bummer Alan! hope the recovery goes well!  how was the flight?
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

Caseyjones

Allan, hope you heal up fast, If I had been there Sun it might have been me!

Glad injuries are not serious.

hipster

Allan,

Sorry to hear about your crash, hope your recovery goes well.  Thank you for hosting the event, I had a fantastic time and met a lot of great people.

Tom

Caseyjones

I just got the pics and video to load, damn glad your OK, that looks like it could have been much worse! Holler if you need anything, I'm not far away.

JoniJo

Hey everyone..... when I left FNF at about 1:00pm on Saturday, Mr Yeti was in pain but hanging in there pretty well. What's up with the picture with the helicopter? Did he have to get hauled out later that day?

Once again......heal well and fast my new found friend!!!!

Joni
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

AncientMariner

Speedy recovery, Alan.  I'm glad your bod is nothing beyond deeply bruised.  Coulda been worse.  Don't get too attached to those pharms.

Thanks for putting together a great event.  As usual, you and the other crazies led me to adventures in riding that I'd never consider attempting on my own.  It was great.

John
'01 TTR125L, '01 WR426 plated, '00 Super Sherpa, '81 KM100, '80 SR500, '78 XS650, '06 DL650, '10 MG V7C, '12 MG Griso 8V SE, '12 Kaw Nomad -John

The Yeti

Quote from: JoniJo on June 21, 2010, 08:27:15 PM
Hey everyone..... when I left FNF at about 1:00pm on Saturday, Mr Yeti was in pain but hanging in there pretty well. What's up with the picture with the helicopter? Did he have to get hauled out later that day?

Once again......heal well and fast my new found friend!!!!

Joni

Joni & All, here's the story for those who don't know:

Cruising through Camp 5 road, about 11am Saturday morning, leading a pack of 8 or 9 DDSR riders, I was blasting through even faster than I've done before...confidence was high...a bit TOO high as it turns out.  :evil

Came upon a pretty intimidating step-down that  in the past I had always paddled over/through. Being too cocky, I thought I could stay up on the pegs and just blast right through.  Went over the step, front wheel landed on three loose softball sized rocks and put me off line, heading straight towards a 1.5ft high "ramp" shaped boulder. Thought to myself that I could take it, but when I hit it and it threw my front end in the air, I gripped the bars too tight, opening my throttle full tilt. This sent me FLYING! When the bike landed, front hit a boulder and threw me down HARD to the right. Landed on the right side of my back on a very large wedge shaped boulder, bike ending up almost upside down on top of me. I am VERY thankful that I was wearing my Koerta pressure jacket with it's beefy back protector...probably saved my spine AND my kidneys.

After gathering myself together, Hank getting my bike out of the draw, a short rest and some ibuprofen from Joni, we rode out of Camp 5 and back to the FnF (with a short detour for a couple hill-climbs). I took off my gear and surveyed the damage...there was lots of swelling, but not much bruising or pain...YET.  Sat back in the camper with an ice pack and ate lunch. After lunch, I was wandering around outside trying to loosen my back up and Tim from Illinois asked to see it....his eyes just about bugged out of his head and he insisted that he drive me to the hospital in Deadwood. (Thanks Tim, you're the best!)

Had a CAT scan and chest x-rays...the doc saw some soft tissue internal bleeding (no organs involved) and recommended that I get to Rapid City Regional ER as soon as possible. Tim & I went back to camp and were getting my camper ready to go (he generously offered to drive it to town for me), when all of a sudden I got really light-headed and almost passed out. Everyone told me afterwards that I didn't just look white, I looked GRAY.

I think it was Gary & Michelle (FnF owners) that called 911 (hospital in Deadwood) and the doc that had seen me called in the Life Flight helicopter to transport me to Rapid...was really exciting (my first chopper ride), but in retrospect may have been a bit of overkill (that I might be paying $$$ for for a really long time  :o ).

At the ER in Rapid, they CAT scanned my head, everything was fine there. They did some blood work, and then the doc came in and told me that he couldn't find anything serious, and sent me home with a bottle of Oxycodone.  :D

Since then, I've been popping pills, icing the back, and trying to rest as best I can. Things seem to be S L O W L Y getting better and I go back to the doc this afternoon for a follow-up. I don't plan on going back to work this week, and hope I will be able to go back next week....we'll have to wait and see.

Again, a big THANK YOU to all you great people for all the help and concern offered to myself AND my wife. My wife was really impressed with how everyone just came together in such a time of crisis for us. It may sound corny, and in my best Eric Cartman voice - " I love you guys!"   ;D :-* ;D :-*

Oh yeah, I already can't wait to get back on the horse...but plan on controlling my confidence a bit more like a late-40-something rider should.  8) We just don't heal up like we used to!
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

plumber mike

[/quote]

At the ER in Rapid, they CAT scanned my head, everything was fine there.
[/quote]

obviously misdiagnosed, and I would demand a refund ;D

The Yeti

Quote from: plumber mike on June 22, 2010, 03:09:58 PM

[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL!

mommer

Quote from: plumber mike on June 22, 2010, 03:09:58 PM

[/quote]

[/quote]

ATTGATT!!! you just need more cover!! storm trooper all the way  ;D

The Yeti

I went back to the doc late yesterday. After some blood tests, he estimated that I had lost about 4 pints of blood into the hematoma!  :o  It's no wonder I passed out at camp with almost half my blood supply residing in my back!

Anyway, doc recommends that I try to stay active, as long as the pain will allow (easy for him to say!) and that everything is progressing well. I need to take some iron pills to get my hemoglobin levels back to where they should be, but he encouraged me to get out and exercise! What I heard was, "get back on that bike and RIDE!".  ;D

The pain is getting much better, and I'm down to just a couple of the Oxy pills a day, gonna try to just go with ibuprofen today and see how that goes. Should be back on the bike before you know it!!

iceycold

OK so how's they Yeti doing now? Off the pills? Any new pictures? Are you working with that or taking it easy? Wishing you all the best and stuff like that there. Hopefully before summer is over you can take a road trip to Bearthooth Pass Montana. If not maybe Hill City.   ;D
Update us some. Oh Ya how's the bike?
DL1000- 07 >gone but not forgotten<
R12RT- 08
DR 650- 09
for God sake do it before 2012

The Yeti

Getting better...but very slowly.

The hematoma is still swollen pretty good. The bruising on my back is beginning to go away...and migrate down my leg. My back is still numb, but the doc said that could last 5-6 weeks. Still taking the pain pills to sleep at night, otherwise I can't get a full nights sleep. My work has been great! They are letting me work from home, so that helps a lot.

Hangin in there...waiting anxiously for the day I feel like getting back on the bike!

fringefan

That working from home is a pretty good gig if you can get used to it. Glad your feeling better.