News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Subframe Bolts

Started by Caseyjones, June 27, 2010, 02:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caseyjones

I have been looking into why I lost ride height during a recent trail ride.  I cranked up the spring and stiffened the shock and got my ride height back but it still doesn't feel right.  I cant feel any play in the sub frame but everything else is solid.

I have read some posts regarding sub frame bolt problems and the different bolt kits available to fix it.  I often ride 2 up and plan to treat it like a KLX 250 off-road, I fail to see a good reason not to simply weld the frame to the sub frame for certain durability that will doubtlessly be needed in the future.

Is there a good reason......is there?  ???
Standing by with my 110 in one hand and angle grinder in the other   :evil

loingrader

i wouldn't. 

the bolts are cheap to upgrade.  the thin tubing could be a little fragile with high heat

there must be something that will be impossible to get off if the rear subframe is welded on.  airbox, shock, something. 

to each, his own.  you could always cut it off again if needed and re-weld, but i wouldn't weld it.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

I wouldn't weld it either.   You can't get the airbox out on a KLR w/out dropping the subframe loose.

There are 2 bolt upgrade options.  One is just grade 8 bolts and it takes 5 minutes to install, the other is the drill through option where you drill all the way through the spine and put one longer/larger grade 8 bolt in.
I went that route on my '00.  It was a PITA as the spine is solid steel at that section (think 30 min + of drilling and maybe a couple smoked bits) but I liked the way it worked.

Caseyjones

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize it would prevent removal of the air box. Drill through kit it is.  It needs to be as close to bullet-proof as I can get it without hindering repairs and maintainability.

loingrader

Quote from: Hank on June 27, 2010, 06:20:47 PM
It was a PITA

but I liked the way it worked.

+1  did the same on my 92.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Osnabrock

I did the simple upgrade a few years ago to the higher quality bolt.  I didn't drill through, I figured a couple of burned bits would cost more than the bolts and I'm not that patient.  I even found the proper bolts at a local store so look around.  I think I got the bolts at the local John Deere parts counter.  They have everything, EVERYTHING.  ACE might also have what you'd need.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Caseyjones

As long as I can count on it to hold together, it wont be to hard to find some grade 8 bolts in the area here.
It will be nice to have this potential weak link buttoned up.  Thanks for the input!