News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Official Sign-Up Thread

Started by The Yeti, July 06, 2010, 09:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

Hey Riders!

The 3rd annual Dakota Dual Sport Riders fall rally will be held from September 16-19, 2010. DDSR base camp will be at the Nemo Guest Ranch in Nemo, SD: http://www.nemoguestranch.com/

Location is here: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=nemo+sd&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Nemo,+SD&gl=us&ei=jukzTO9ooemdB96U-P8D&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CB4Q8gEwAA

Dates are September 16, 17, 18 & 19, 2010.  You can arrive anytime after noon on Thursday, September 16, departing on Sunday, September 19. Check out is very flexible, so you can ride all day Sunday if you so wish. Weather may be cool and damp - avg high 71, avg low 46 - so bring your heavy sleeping bag and appropriate riding gear!  Back in 1998, it was in the 90's during this same week, so....who really knows!  

Entry Fee: FREE!
Camping: Tents - $12 per person/night, RVs/Campers - $20 per night.  You will pay the campground when you arrive, no pre-payment required. Make sure you tell them you are with DDSR to get the special discount!

We will have enough room for plenty of tents.  RV sites are plentiful as well, I think there are 6 RV sites very close to the tent sites. Cars, trucks & bike trailers will have plenty of room to park right next to our campsite.

Please reply here with your camping preference (tent or RV) and dates you are camping.

The rally is open to any and all skill levels of riders with any motorcycle that is street legal in SD (doesn't take much: headlight, taillight & license plate is about it).  All attempts will be made to keep the amount of pavement on our rides to a minimum, but it is a necessary evil in the Black Hills to get from one trail to another sometimes.

Rides can range from gravel/easy fire roads to rocks to single track to really gnarly rocks & single track, hillclimbs, etc.  There will be something for everybody!

The Nemo Guest Ranch (NGR) has full showers, bathrooms, a general store (with beer), a full service restaurant and a bar. They also have very large fire pits (yeah, bonfires!). First gas is about 10 minutes away.

Limited food will be provided, but plan on fending for yourself during the day.
-Friday night will (probably) be chili & nachos (courtesy of Mr. & Mrs. Yeti)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

DISCLAIMER:
Anyone attending this event, does so at their own risk. The Yeti, any other DDSR member, the NGR campground or ANYONE BESIDES YOU will not be held responsible for injury to yourself, your bike or gear! Now, let's get out and RIDE THE HILLS!!

"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

The Yeti

"IN" LIST

NAME - NIGHTS - TENT/RV/CABIN
grubbie (+1) - 17,18 - RV
excess - 16,17,18 - ??
Number Two - ?? - ??
loingrader (+2) - 17,18 -  2 tents
fringefan - 18 - tent
Wacked - 16,17,18 - tent
NDave (+1) - 17,18 - tent
Jerry Dale (+1) - 17,18 - tent
jacin theis - 16,17,18 - tent
Rocker01 - 17,18 - tent
Caseyjones - just riding
JoniJo - just riding
Number One - just riding
hellneau - just riding
plumber mike - just riding
The Yeti - just riding

TOTAL = 20

The Yeti

RIDES

DIFFICULTY RATING KEY
Class I - Requires 1-2 hours
Class II - Requires half a day
Class III - Requires most of a day
Class IV - Requires a very long day
Class V - Requires an overnight stay on the route
Class VI - Requires a few days
Class VII - Expedition

Grade A is graded dirt road
Grade B is easy jeep road
Grade C is moderate
Grade D is occasionally technical
Grade E is continuously technical
Grade F is gonzo

Camp 5 Road
Difficulty Rating - Class I, Grade D
(Since we're in the northern hills again, you just know we'll end up riding it again.  ;D  )

MAP
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=deadwood+sd&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.315864,56.513672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Deadwood,+Lawrence,+South+Dakota&ll=44.364606,-103.600044&spn=0.063938,0.110378&z=13

DESCRIPTION
Rocky stream beds, some smooth access road, some rocky access road, grapefruit to cantaloupe sized loose rocks, back-breaking boulders  :o, two semi-gnarly hillclimbs, rocky steps, tight two-track in places, fast two-track in places, all tons-o-fun!

TIME
1hr - 2hr ride, depending on your skill/risk-taking level. We took 2.5hrs during one rally with lots of larger, adventure type bikes and some inexperienced riders (such as myself  :P ). Some have claimed to have run it in less than 15 minutes.    :o

PICS

PILOT KNOB
Difficulty Rating - Class I, Grade D (although one .5 mile section is Grade E)

MAP

DESCRIPTION
The only portion of the Centennial Trail that is open to motorized travel (from Pilot Knob TH to Dalton TH). Starts off easy, from either the south or north end.  North end offers a really fun ATV trail with lots of whoops & banks.  South end starts off with a short switchback uphill followed by some easy two track and rock strewn two-track...with awesome scenery!  It's the middle bit that will get ya!  Sometimes steep, rocky, narrow single track with some difficult steps, climbs and descents. Not all that bad, but can be challenging even on smaller bikes.  But, keep in mind that flexlarson took some poor guy on a VStrom over Pilot Knob and the guy is still alive, his bike had a few broken bits.   ;D  So, it can't be all that bad!

TIME
1hr - 1.5hr

PICS

This bit will rattle your teeth out if you're suspension is too stiff!  On the south end (I think):

It tends to stay a little wetter up there because the forest is so thick:

Sorry, I don't have any pics of the tuff stuff, you'll have to take my word for it.

249 from Silver City/Slate Creek Dam/The 429
Difficulty Rating - Class I, Grade C (although I suppose the 429 could be considered D)

MAP
(Traveling from east to west)

DESCRIPTION
A beautiful (mostly) easy ride on smooth fire roads (= fast!). This is one of my favorite easy rides for some great scenery! The most challenging part is the green section of the 429, but I've been through it with a GSA that had no problems at all.  Just gets a little tight & wet at times. Kind of a long section of gravel on the 231.1 stretch, otherwise, all dirt.

TIME
1.5hr - 2hr

PICS
See this thread: http://dev.dakotadualsportriders.com/smf/index.php?topic=137.0

JoniJo

Wouldn't miss it for the world. Please count me in! I'll be staying at my son's place in Rapid. Is there a good web site for KLX chrome? I heard it makes your bike go faster.   :evil        JoniJo
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

Number Two

In. I want to stake my claim early, mostly so 'I' am committed to plan for it.  Once I know dates and camping or not, I'll edit the post. 

Number Two

The Yeti, I must humbly submit that you have grade and class backwards from the original mountaineering lingo, but I think the application is perfect! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_(climbing)
Grade describes the scope or length, and class describes the technical difficuly of the most difficult section of the route in question.

Realise this is a noob's view of the world of DS...

Grade I - 1-2 hours
Grade II - less than half day
Grade III - half day
Grade IV - full day
Grade V - two day
Grade VI - multi day
Grade VII - ride lasting more than a week
then you can use modifiers for detail, like (+) for extended range >120 miles between gas stops

Class 1 - pavement (it is dual sport after all).
Obstacles: cages and tar snakes.  
Recommend: Blackbird, Harley?

Class 2 - well graded 2-lane (county road)  
Obstacles: cattle guards, gravel, mud when wet.  
Recommend: bike with upright riding position.

Class 3 - primary fire road/forest road (single lane)
Obstacles: Loose gravel a few inches deep, shallow stream crossings, shallow sand.
Recomend: knobbies, longer travel suspension.

Class 4 - two track, burm in center
Obstacles: Ruts, mud or sand several inches deep, steep grades, rocks or boulders, Most difficult obstacles have multiple lines, or the risk of injury/damage is minimal.
Recomend: Standard 18/21 knobbies, bark busters, weight/suspension/ground clearance all become important factors

Class 5 - Singletrack.  Increased difficulty and or risk of injury/damage beyond class 4
Obstacles: Large logs, deep ruts, combinations of obstacles frequent, fewer or no options around difficult obstacles.  The use of momentum and the ability to loft the front become essential.
Recomend: Purpose-built off road motorcycle substantially under 300 pounds.

Class 6 - Requires carrying or lifting of the bike beyond extreme obstacles, or abnormally high risk of severe injury or death if you miss your line.
Obstacles:
Recomend: Trials bike, parachute.

There are wide varieties in rides and riders, but the goal of a rating system is to make a standard from which to judge a route, even if you already know you can rock the GS through the singletrack.  What's really necessary is to compare some rides and use them as the baseline.  

Deadhorse Alaska VII, 2
Grade VII for the 2 weeks+ it takes the average Joe, and Class 2 for the sections of Dalton?

A typical Black Hills ride might look like III, 4
Grade III for half a day, and Class 4 for some tougher obstacles on forest road.  

And that is how you hijack a thread!  Feel free to move/delete from fall signup.

The Yeti

Quote from: JoniJo on July 06, 2010, 11:50:02 PM
Wouldn't miss it for the world. Please count me in! I'll be staying at my son's place in Rapid. Is there a good web site for KLX chrome? I heard it makes your bike go faster.   :evil        JoniJo

So, you are NOT camping with us this time around?

Caseyjones

I will be there but wont be camping as I live 20 min away, looking forward to it.  Let me know if there is anything I can do to assist in the preparation for this.

JoniJo

Alan....Regarding Camping....
I think it's great that the group is changing "base camp", however, the Cabins at Nemo are pretty expensive compared to the little room I had at Fish N' Fry. I know it sounds wimpy but I prefer a real bed as opposed to sleeping on the ground. I did a lot of that when I was younger. Now, if your offering a place to stay in your RV that's a whole different story!   ;D                        

Also....I'm thinking about getting into the GPS thing. Any recommendations on brand/models, etc.?        

JoniJo

P.S Just bought a larger Clarke fuel tank for my little beast!!!! VROOM....VROOM......
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

loingrader

nice work on setting this up again yeti.  i'm excited to try out the new digs.

Bret and Beth are in tentatively, camping, 2 tents, fri and sat nite.

and Joni, get an exped synmat to sleep on.  they are better than an air mattress and only slightly less comfy than a real bed.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

fringefan

Since I get the joy of going to SF for the 16th & 17th to endure our anual FINRA compliance meeting I will not make it till the 18th  :-[

What is the cost on camping and sorry if I missed it.

Caseyjones

"Also....I'm thinking about getting into the GPS thing. Any recommendations on brand/models, etc.?"

I'm really liking the Garmin 60csx, waterproof and decent software available. I used a RAM mount to fix it to the bike handlebars.  it's on the spendy side but I'm delighted with the product, well worth checking into IMHO.

The Yeti

Quote from: Number Two on July 07, 2010, 01:20:02 AM
The Yeti, I must humbly submit that you have grade and class backwards from the original mountaineering lingo, but I think the application is perfect! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_(climbing)
Grade describes the scope or length, and class describes the technical difficuly of the most difficult section of the route in question.

Realise this is a noob's view of the world of DS...

Grade I - 1-2 hours
Grade II - less than half day
Grade III - half day
Grade IV - full day
Grade V - two day
Grade VI - multi day
Grade VII - ride lasting more than a week
then you can use modifiers for detail, like (+) for extended range >120 miles between gas stops

Class 1 - pavement (it is dual sport after all).
Obstacles: cages and tar snakes. 
Recommend: Blackbird, Harley?

Class 2 - well graded 2-lane (county road) 
Obstacles: cattle guards, gravel, mud when wet. 
Recommend: bike with upright riding position.

Class 3 - primary fire road/forest road (single lane)
Obstacles: Loose gravel a few inches deep, shallow stream crossings, shallow sand.
Recomend: knobbies, longer travel suspension.

Class 4 - two track, burm in center
Obstacles: Ruts, mud or sand several inches deep, steep grades, rocks or boulders, Most difficult obstacles have multiple lines, or the risk of injury/damage is minimal.
Recomend: Standard 18/21 knobbies, bark busters, weight/suspension/ground clearance all become important factors

Class 5 - Singletrack.  Increased difficulty and or risk of injury/damage beyond class 4
Obstacles: Large logs, deep ruts, combinations of obstacles frequent, fewer or no options around difficult obstacles.  The use of momentum and the ability to loft the front become essential.
Recomend: Purpose-built off road motorcycle substantially under 300 pounds.

Class 6 - Requires carrying or lifting of the bike beyond extreme obstacles, or abnormally high risk of severe injury or death if you miss your line.
Obstacles:
Recomend: Trials bike, parachute.

There are wide varieties in rides and riders, but the goal of a rating system is to make a standard from which to judge a route, even if you already know you can rock the GS through the singletrack.  What's really necessary is to compare some rides and use them as the baseline. 

Deadhorse Alaska VII, 2
Grade VII for the 2 weeks+ it takes the average Joe, and Class 2 for the sections of Dalton?

A typical Black Hills ride might look like III, 4
Grade III for half a day, and Class 4 for some tougher obstacles on forest road. 

And that is how you hijack a thread!  Feel free to move/delete from fall signup.

#2,

I like it! But, I'm gonna stick with what I have for now. I'm really not very experienced off-road, and my opinion of any given trail's difficulty is VERY subjective, but really all I have to go on. So, take any of my trail ratings with a grain of salt.

If anyone else would like to add a ride or two to the RIDES post, just PM me with the details (map, pics, description) and I'll post it up! And, if anyone disagrees with my assessment of any RIDES, don't hesitate to call me on it.

Of course, we will be repeating some of our rides from June since we're in the same area...and I haven't had the chance to go out and find any new trails with my injuries. Hoping to get back on the bike very soon, though!

The Yeti

Quote from: Number Two on July 07, 2010, 01:16:44 AM
In. I want to stake my claim early, mostly so 'I' am committed to plan for it.  Once I know dates and camping or not, I'll edit the post. 

I'd appreciate it if you would just make a new post...I may or may not catch your edit.  ;D

The Yeti

Quote from: JoniJo on July 07, 2010, 12:27:29 PM
Also....I'm thinking about getting into the GPS thing. Any recommendations on brand/models, etc.?        

JoniJo

I've got an older Garmin Etrex Venture that I got off some inmate at ADV for around $130. If I would ever really sit down and learn how to use it, it would probably be a great piece of equipment. As it is now, I basically use it as a clock and speedo.  ;D