News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Yamaha XT600

Started by plumber mike, July 17, 2010, 12:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plumber mike

I have the opportunity to trade a pickup I've been needing to get rid of for a 1988 Yammy XT600. Can anyone give me any info on these bikes. Value...ish, Known problems, etc... Was it #2 that has/had one. I'm going to go check it out soon and see what's up. Isn't this the same motor from the old tenere?

fringefan

I  think you are right that it is number 2. Not sure what the truck is worth but any bike in Good shape should fetch $800-$1500. Much more than that it would have to be newer. Just my .02 and Ive been told I am cheap which is not far off most of us on here ;D

Number Two

Yup, I had a 1984 TT600, which was the off-road version of the XT. 

Pros:
1) Very stable steering geometry, esp in sand.
2) Four-valve motor w/ counter balancer.
3) Gobs of torque at low rpm meant the bike could make up for some of my mistakes in rough terrain.
4) Air-cooled, simple.

Cons:
1) CV secondary carb was lame.
2) Magnesium cases were lame.
3) Bike was pushing 350lbs.
4) Aftermarket for the TT was nil.
5) Drum brakes (your XT should have a disk front, drum rear)

Things to look for:
Oil leaks from stripped fasteners.
Oil quality/color/smell.  An air cooled motor lives or dies on its oil. 
Wear items.  Tires, chain, sprockets, air filter, cables will all nickle and dime.
Adjusting the valves does a lot for making this motor easier to start.

For my intended use (riding not collecting), one in good shape is about $1000.  If you end up with it, I might have a supertrap for you.

plumber mike

I lost my post somehow, so here is the short version. The truck is worth $1000 on a good day.

The bike has a leak at the base gasket, but it's ridden daily in the summer. I'm going to check it out closer this week, and I'll bring a camera.
Aaron-Thanks for the real world info. :)
Fringefan-Thanks for calling me cheap >:( ;D

Stay tuned.

fringefan

With the semi custom paint job and slick wheel I would say it is worth 4k ;D

plumber mike

Quote from: fringefan on July 18, 2010, 01:17:47 PM
With the semi custom paint job and slick wheel I would say it is worth 4k ;D

Which is exactly what your ratty old KLR is worth. We should trade ;D
This one would look good on you too

loingrader

i like that white one.  full floating rear axle, looks pretty clean.  you surely think that is worth more than $1k.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Dr Psyko

If it's a thousand, I'll take two...
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

plumber mike

I'm asking 1K for the yellow one and 2K for the white one. But I would trade either for a KLR ;)

Number Two

Any luck with the XT?

Whitey looks like a pretty nice truck.  What's the engine/drive train, how do you like the Trxus MTs?

fringefan

Your upgrading your off road pleasure from a BMW to a KLR, not sure Ive ever seen that before but I fully understand the logic ;D

I have truxus mt on my jeep and they are a great tire in snow, mud, and are not even that loud on the road.

plumber mike

Trxxus MT's.....More proof that your a cheap SOB ;)

I'm hoping to see the XT guy later this week. A mutual friend says he's excited about the yellow truck, so we shall see....

Whitey is rockin a 400 small block,SM465 4-speed,NP205 transfer case, a 14 bolt full float rear, and a one ton only Dana 60 front 8) It has a summit aluminum radiator and dual electric fans. It's one tough truck, but I'm swimming in trucks right now and only have two bikes ??? It's easier to store bikes and out of sight out of mind is better with the wife :P It would be nice to have something to hammer on in the woods besides a 2009 BMW ;D I'll keep the XR200 for a loaner/backup. My Father in law is getting his dirt legs on it and it's too nice to sell. So we shall see what follows me home ::)

loingrader

now i want that white truck!

i need to find a cheap klr asap!

for the price of rally repairs on your bmw, you could have a nicely farkled up klr and save the bmw for the non-rally rides.

or if the xt trade works out you could ride it or sell it easier than the pickup and use the funds for a klr.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

plumber mike

Quote from: loingrader on July 20, 2010, 10:34:14 AM
now i want that white truck!

i need to find a cheap klr asap!

for the price of rally repairs on your bmw, you could have a nicely farkled up klr and save the bmw for the non-rally rides.

or if the xt trade works out you could ride it or sell it easier than the pickup and use the funds for a klr.
Great. I'll drive out Saturday. Have that KLR Gassed up and ready for me ;D

plumber mike

Well I forgot the camera, but you guys didn't miss much. It has a very bad leak at the base gasket. It has 26000+ miles :o
The tires are bald....BALD! It's got good power and started from cold on the second kick. Brakes seemed to fade away, but I had just climbed off the Xcountry(spoiled to the Brembo's maybe)

I think I'm going to hold out................

............for Loingraders KLR ;D