News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Moab anyone?

Started by jacin theis, September 19, 2010, 09:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacin theis

So not trying to highjack the club. But it came up in conversation at the fall rally that a large group would be interested in a trip to Moab in the spring. Plumber Mikes freind Matt from Colorado spends a lot of time there, and suggestged that the 30 days after April 22 is prime weather. He also said he has a lot of maps and routes already. So with Matt and ADVRider as resources, it coiuld be a great trip. I am already trying to plan for some time off then. I am trying to see if anyone else is interested and serious. I think i would try to take the family as there is a lot to do in ther area, even if they dont ride.

So, any takers?
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

plumber mike

Wow. 8 Views and nobody want's to hit Moab? Let's firm up some dates. I would think it would be cool to find some backroads/dirt roads to get there as well. For me, the trip there and back is just as much fun as the destination.

I'll say I'm in for now, but with a baby coming in Feb., nothing is for sure ???

Dr Psyko

Talking about May sometime? That might work for me... Looks like beautiful country, it would be a hell of a ride from Minnesota.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Sportfaller

I was down there 2 summers ago, I have family 30 min. away.   Great riding, but hot as hell in august.  there are some great spots in CO to hit on the way south.  I destroyed a set of TKC's in 2000 miles that trip!
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

flexlarson

Well Ive made that trip 3-4 times on the DR and twice on the Dakar.
Its a fun ride down. Moab is a blast but the ride back is generally less fun. Last two times chad has met me in wyoming and rode back with me.
There are allot of fun spots to hit on the way there or back.
Alpine loop is fun. http://www.alpineloop.com/HTML/index.html
Could run engineer pass and maybe pearl pass.
Moab is great anyplace you decide to go.

I may be interested in May.
"Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. do it.
... it gets harder before it gets hard.... Get up here..

Hank

Work / time permitting I'd  be interested too.

Osnabrock

Spring is getting pretty close.  I'm now in a position to start thinking of such a trip.  I may be interested if all goes well.  I'm growing more fond of the idea of trailering part of the way.  How far is yet to be determined.  Maybe to Colorado and ride from there. 
What sort of a budget would one expect to encounter on such a trip, for those who have gone before?  I've found it pretty easy to be fairly tight fisted on trips in the past and prefer the more "rustic" adventures, especially in dry climates.
I could think of nothing better than riding that area with the folks that I've met through DDSR.
-John
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

jacin theis

Iwas starting to think maybe no one was interested, :-\ or i had overstepped my bounds in suggesting this trip. I thought this would be a great family trip for everyone. The wife and kids can keep busy hiking or shoppping at the many stores in Moab, and ther is a lot of variety to ride in the area for those on bikes. There are also several really good restaurants.  I know there are some great campgrounds in town and on the edge of Moab.I am sure it wouldnt be a big deal to find one to accomodate motorcyclists. I will try to check out the campgrounds soon and let everyone know what options there are. Hope we can get a group together. The fall rally was a blast. EVERYONE was great to meet and visit with. Looking forward to more rides together.
1100 GS

Dr Psyko

Yeah, I'm still interested. My son Jake would likely come along as well.

sleddog

My Brother & I are planning on a trip to the Moab area Thanksgiving week.....if the weather cooperates. Otherwise it may be New Mexico.

There's a few of us planning a CDT ride next summer also

Sleddog

loingrader

Quote from: sleddog on November 11, 2010, 08:28:56 AM
few of us planning a CDT ride next summer also

that's up near the top of my bucket list!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Dr Psyko

OK, I'll bite. What is the CDT?

loingrader

continental divide trail

mexico to canada on mostly dirt thru the rockies.

not to be confused with the tat

trans america trail
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

JoniJo

Hi everyone.......Remember Me????  :o First of all, count me in as highly probable for a Moab trip in the spring. Second... remember that little hamstring injury I had on Friday this past fall that kept me from riding on Saturday? Well, to make a long story short, over the next six weeks it got a lot worse. Turned into a badly torn meniscus in my left knee. Had it operated on the 8th of this month. Healing is going very well. End of story.
Another thought about Moab........ Would my KLX250 be "big" enough or do you need a more of a "dual sport" type bike?
Would love to see all of you soooooon!
                                                                                                     JoniJo  ;D
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

jacin theis

sheesh, nothing like making the cost of a trip go up. You and Yeti are making me scared to ride.....Wheres Yeti been anyway?   Hope surgery went well. I would say from the way you rode the 250 on Pilots Knob, you would be fine at Moab. My feeling too small is better than too big. (dont want to see anyone get hurt ;))    Others might disagree, but as long as your comfortable with what ever you ride. I need to get in touch with Snooky on recomendations for lodging as he has spent time in Moab a lot more recently than I.   Hope you are well.
1100 GS