News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Moab anyone?

Started by jacin theis, September 19, 2010, 09:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Number Two

I might have talked a buddy into coming down with me.  He'd be on a DRZ400 if we can get it fixed and properly shaken down in time.  He's not super experienced, but neither am I. 

Number_Two +1

Sportfaller

Ok guys, I'll bite. I'm in. Installed the wolfman bags today, broke out the old dry bags (who needs a fancy dry duffel), and ordered a few more parts, ordering tires mon.

Few questions:
Jacin, you are leaving the 11th? After work? I have to teach a CPR class here in Hill City till about 4, so I'll be able to leave from here after that.

Are we all riding? or is there a 4-wheel-pack-mule leaving RC? I was mainly wondering about coolers and the big camp stove, for better camp accommodations. are we camp cooking or dining out?

Is there a list of things that some of us have, that we dont need duplicates of? I have a water purifier and a decent medical kit, what else?

What are the route plans? are be back-roading or slabbing it?

My Aunt lives in Paradox C.O. an hour west of moab. she has offered her yard for camping, and there is some very scenic rides through CO, maybe for the way back?

Should we all sit down for some beers with our maps in the next week or so?

Oh yeah, and my C.F.O. has put a no net expenditures clause on my trip, anyone in the market for a new rifle? I have one for sale.

Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

jacin theis

YES! glad you in Sportfaller.  I think Mike has bailed on riding as he is taking his truck. So, it would be you and i leaving wednesday. Time doesnt matter to me, just want to get on the raod. We can camp wherever we get tired. I was thinking of secondary roads though Larimie, and northern Colorado.  I would guess that Mike would haul some items if you asked real nice. Athough i would be gentle with the ribbing about not riding. ;D
It's ok Mike, there will be lots of riding when we get there.
I am out of town until thursday this week, but would make time to get together for a little planning.  Any ideas?
Number Two, when do you think you'll get in to Moab?
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Sportfaller

awesome. I've got a nice big coleman 2 burner stove and light package that hooks to a standard propane tank, it would be plenty big for everyone to cook on (if we are cooking), and various other larger camping items if need be.

I'll be around Friday night and most of the weekend, so I'm open too

We coming back mon? or when?
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

flexlarson

Ok guys so Im a lil interested. Is someone driving down? What are the dates on this whole lil adventure?
I wouldnt mind trailering down a bike like a lil girl and riding back on my own or taking KTM or beemer down and back on a trailer.

I think someone on here has me confused with someone else who needs some stuff.

I love Moab and its a magical spot 4 me.

"Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. do it.
... it gets harder before it gets hard.... Get up here..

Sportfaller

Flex, I think Jacin and I are leaving the 11th, around 4ish, possibly from Hill City, and riding as far as we feel like that night, and the rest of the way Thursday. There are a couple guys (or at least Mike) trailering or trucking. sounds like we are camping on the beach along the colorado down there. dont know what day for sure we are coming back.

I think you should join us!
Josh

Sportfaller

Josh

Sportfaller

so I just got off the phone with my buddy who is a Deputy Sheriff for Garfield County, in silt, CO and he says the passes are all snowed in yet  :'( so out route is sounding more and more slabish.
Josh

jacin theis

Josh, was thinking about hitting Larimie, but other than that, the route is the same. I am ok with any route. As long as we ride. I planned on a long hard day back Monday, but have already prepped my wife and work for a Tuesday return. It might be a little cold crossing up near Walden/Steamboat/Craig but i am up for it as long as the roads are dry. Its already going to be 80's in Moab, so think about the destination. Flex, call Mike and see if you can haul with him. But if you want, you are welcome to ride with Josh and I. As he said, we will ride until we feel its too cold, or we are too tired.
We could plan to meet at the Sugar Shack friday for planning. I think that would be the most central location for everyone.

Steamboat weather
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Steamboat+Springs&state=CO&site=GJT&textField1=40.4779&textField2=-106.821&e=0
Its still a week away, and the days already look good for crossing.
1100 GS

snooker

Just a heads up as the northern mountains in Colorado had huge snow this year and in particular the Yampa River valley area around Steamboat is expecting record flooding this year.  It hasn't been warm for the last 3 weeks but this week IS warming up majorly so expect flooding - you should call ahead before expecting to get through there or you might be surprised...

http://www.9news.com/news/article/195478/339/Steamboat-Springs-braces-for-heavy-spring-floods-

As for cooking...  Mike and I talked and we are aligned on maximizing our riding time, meaning going into Moab for dinner (and showers are available too).  Then campfires after dinner.  Mike is bringing wood that should be enough for a group "social" campfire each night.  Breakfast either a simple cold one in camp, or stop at the Moab Diner for a basic fast and cheap hearty breakfast (and a classic simple old school place for dinner too, at least for starters).   This plan makes not only the cook gear but the coolers look a lot smaller too.    I don't want to overstep my bounds as a guest of DDSR and would not assume to propose this for everybody but I think at least Mike and I are into minimal cooking and cleanup and more time for riding that way.   Pack your own lunch as most rides do not have a place to buy lunch.   This also leaves more time for optional cool things to do in the evening like short hikes (Delicate Arch for sunset, etc).

We will also bring a couple of 5 gal water jugs for drinking that we can refill as needed for use around camp.   You can always refill your (gallon) size CamelBack each morning at the free water source at the footpath at the bridge on 191 over the Colorado River.  I think it's fair to say most of these campsites do not have water, depending on which one they pick for us.

Number Two

Looks like Friday midnight arrival for me - just riding Saturday and Sunday.

If you guys make it to Laramie, look me up [PM@ jacin theis].  Maybe have a burger with you and swap phone numbers and such.

Eating in town sounds good - I'm flexible.  I may still indulge the beer brat, or flaming mallow at a fire.

Sportfaller

I'm down with minimizing the cooking. less to pack.
Josh

plumber mike

I don't know if this is a double post but I'm driving to CO wednesday after work. I have room for another person and bike (no excuses Flex) and could bring along someones extra gear.

I could probably meet you guys at the sugar shack on friday too.

Sportfaller

I'm down for sugar shack friday, time?  Jacin, are you thinking more slab or backroads/gravel on the way down?  I have a set of knobbies that I'm debating on putting on here or in moab.

my number is 605 four three one zero one one four, feel free to call, text, whatever so we can get our plans straight.
Josh

jacin theis

I can meet anytime friday at the sugar shack, you guys call it. Josh, i would like to avoid all interstate (required near Moab)  and do as much two lane as possible. For the sake of time, we can avoid gravel, but i will ride whatever you want. I have my knobbies mounted, so we can ride whatever comes up. I might haul a set of more road type tires as a backup though.
1100 GS