News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Moab anyone?

Started by jacin theis, September 19, 2010, 09:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportfaller

sounds great.  will 6 or 6:30 work for everyone tomorrow?
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

jacin theis

unfortunatley, i found out we have a commitment at 6:00 in rapid. can you guys do any ealier? otherwilse i can make sunday work.   LESS THAN A WEEK!
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Sportfaller

I could do like 4:30 at the earliest, but my weekend is open.  Anyone want to ride sunday?
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

plumber mike

I tried posting last night and had FAILURE. I could do this afternoon at the shack. No riding this weekend for me. Sunday is Mother's Day so that's out. I just need to know if I need to meet up with anyone before Wed afternoon to pick up gear/person/bike. Otherwise my plan is to leave Wed afternoon and head for Snooker Lake in Loveland Co to camp for the eve. Thursday morning departure for Moab, so should be able to ride a little thursday afternoon when we roll in.

If you want to meet at the Sugar Shack this afternoon, call my cell @ 591-2912. Leave a message and I'll call you back.

The Yeti

Quote from: Sportfaller on May 06, 2011, 06:43:36 AM
I could do like 4:30 at the earliest, but my weekend is open.  Anyone want to ride sunday?

I might be able to take a little ride Sunday afternoon.
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Sportfaller

cannonshot's ride report, those of you that have read his black hills report know the high quality.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335510
Josh

snooker

David..    Anybody heard from David yet as to which BLM campsite along the Colorado River we are meeting at?

I've been scouting some rides out and found some GPS tracks for my GPS so that'll be a first if that works out.  Trying to find stuff appropriate for "adventure" bikes not dirt bikes with a brake light switch thrown on the rear brake lever... trails that won't have any gnarly spots for the first day (Friday) as we don't want breakage right out of the chute.   White Rim (WRT) I think you guys want to do on Saturday.

So what's the plan out there on logistics?  Time for some chatter!   I'm bringing a couple extra "Crazy Creek" canoe style seats for campfire usage for you guys that are riding out and don't have room.

Is it only Mike and I that have marginal gas tanks for making it 120-140 miles on the WRT loop?  curious.

jacin theis

Matt, i have Jerry's (david's dad) number. Thought we would call when we get there or we should be able to find the Mercedes motorhome. White Rim on Saturday so we can have Number 2 join us. I have a small Touratech fuel can (2 quarts?). Can you or Mike bring a small can we can haul for you on the White Rim?
Josh and i are planning to meet and stay with Number 2 on Wednesday night. I am up for anything as far as riding. I wouldn't mind a little hard stuff. It would be fun to see how well we can work together to get everyone through. Although i am not looking to test my limits nessasarily.  ;D  I am also fine with a stop each morning at MceeDs for a nutrition packed Big Breakfast. Or whatever. Bathing in the River? Showers in town? fine by me. I plan to be the most flexable person in camp. Gad you coming Matt, it will be fun to ride with you again.
1100 GS

David

We got a later start since we spent Saturday setting up a  DRZ-400 I bought myself last weekend. :) Put a bigger gas tank, skid plate, and bark busters on. We got on the road yesterday and made it to Rifle, CO. We are now about an hour outside of Moab and I will update the thread when we find a campsite. We are going to load up "The Joshua Tree" for the drive to the campsite.

plumber mike

Matt- I picked up a 1.5 gallon Rotopax at Cabela's yesterday and also have a non-spillproof ???1 gallon container we could stash if it's a loop. We will be fine. I'm also bringing 2 five gallon containers for refueling at camp.

I'm hoping to be as flexible as Jacin.....unless it means less riding >:( ;D

I'm hoping to camp at Beach Snook wed night, but have not confirmed reservations with the campground host.
Since it will just be the two of us in the truck(It's not too late Flex), I'm thinking I'm NOT going to bring a trailer....that would leave room for only one broken bike on the return trip if need be...but since there won't be any of that, i guess it's a moot point.
Is there anything else we need?want?

Sportfaller

I'm bringing my rotopax too, so there's another 1.5 gallons. my bike has a 200 mile range, the white rim trail is about 180 miles moab to moab, so a little extra fuel doesnt hurt.

Rode about 100 miles of dirt sunday trying to get used to the new bike, I hope to hell my risers get here before weds. or I may be needing a chiropractor and/or masseuse after each day, standing is a killer. maybe the risers off my old mans 1200 will fit?

this trip is going to rock!
Josh

jacin theis

I could trade you a well set up 1100 for that poorly setup 800. just trying to help! :D
1100 GS

David

Just got back from our afternoon ride and thought I should post an update about where we are camping.

We are currently camping along the Colorado River about 9 miles outside of Moab at the Big Bend campground. We were able to snag two connecting sites and there should be room for 5+ tents in the sites. Here is a teaser photo of the site looking towards the camper from the river.

That said we only registered the sites for one night, but can keep them if we pay by noon tomorrow. When we were out riding we noticed a large single site that could potentially hold just as many people at the Goose Island campground. It is currently occupied, but looked like it might be opening up tomorrow. If it does we will try to snag it since it would put us 7 miles closer to town and most of the trails.

Just so we can try to make sure there will be room for everyone when they get here how many riders are there going to be and is any one besides plumber mike bringing a vehicle other than a motorcycle? If our numbers are small enough we will do our best to find a site or sites that can fit everyone.

We will keep you posted if we decide to move closer to Moab tomorrow.

The Yeti

Wow!  I am SOOOO jealous right now!
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

snooker

David, thanks for that update. (Joshua Tree - really???  8)  Did you FEEL the vibe?)  We'll find you at either Big Bend or Goose Island, don't worry about updating us - just go ride!  Sounds like we have 3 riding out, plus 2 in Mike's truck plus you 2.  I have another buddy who may be coming with Mike and me but only with his mountain bike. He won't cause any trouble and is bringing a coffee pot and single burner stove for it (if he comes-will know tomorrow).

I've been checking out another set of rather newly made rare SINGLETRACK trails very close to you up 191 just north of the Arches entrance, called the Moab Brand Trails (http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/brand-trails.htm) which includes easy loops called Bar M and Lazy EZ, and more difficult side loops.  It is hard to find any singletrack and this was recently made (just south of the Sovereign trail complex).

Jacin good to hear from you, have a safe ride out there you guys.  I'll bring my own 1 gal jug and stash it for the WRT day but other than that I don't plan on any days longer than 120 miles between gassing up, which should be ok since we are camped so close to town.  Excited to ride with you and all the DDSR guys again - thanks for letting me tag-along!

Mike and I are planning on a ride when we make camp in late afternoon Thurs, something short and easy like Klondike Bluffs and/or the Moab Brand Trails or parts of Sovereign ATV. Or Potash Rd then up Long canyon to Dead Horse Point for the view. dunno. so many choices so little time!