News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Moab anyone?

Started by jacin theis, September 19, 2010, 09:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wacked

Joni - Glad you hear you got the knee resolved.  Sorry to hear that going under a knife was part of the solution.

Jacin - This Moab thing is TAUNTING me - I hate it.  OK, I'll put my hat in the ring for going.  Maybe I'll even have to "justify" getting different bike for this tripjavascript:void(0); .

Brad

JoniJo

Have you seen this website? It's pretty informative for someone who's never been to the Moab area. LIKE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.atvtrails.org/Utah.html            :D                                               Joni

JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

Black Hawk

If you go to Moab and want to go to Arrowhead Motorsports
It is a few miles south of Moab.
Go south untill you see a shell gas station on the left turn there
Go to the next street to the right turn there
(about 100 yards) down the road there is a sign on a post
on the right side of the road, turn in there he works out of his garage.
He has a good inventory of parts.
Black Hawk SD in the summer
Yuma AZ in the winter

KLE650 for the Black Hills

jacin theis

Great site Joni! I have riden part of Slick Rock on a bicycle and really wished for my motorcycle. White Rim has been the reason i want to go to Moab. If this site doesnt get anyone excited, then you should be riding a moped :D    Might have to bring a couple of bikes for options and backup.    I need a feel for what most people prefer for lodging. Of you that have expressed interest, are you thinking camping or hotel? Maybe we can find a mix with cabins etc. Like a KOA type of place. I am considering pulling my camper, but with fuel, speed and wear, it may be better to just get a hotel. Give me your ideas, I am starting my research and want to make it as appealing as possible.     
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Dr Psyko

That link Joni posted just isn't fair...
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Hank

I'd really like to do this trip, and bring the whole family.   That means for me it would have to be late May (school), but I realize there are a lot of schedules to accommodate and that might not work.

Other option would be over Easter, but I'm sure that would cause oodles of conflicts for people.

jacin theis

It will be after school but not Easter for sure. That is probably the biggest weekend for Jeeps at Moab. Dont need the traffic or the hostilities. If anyone else has date ideas, post them. It will help to nail down the cost of accomadations.  let the planning begin.
1100 GS

agspecialties

I would be up for a Moab trip early spring. I am planning on a Alaska trip to prudoe bay in June.

The Yeti

Quote from: jacin theis on November 13, 2010, 08:59:17 AM
.....Wheres Yeti been anyway?

I'm here on the forum just about everyday, but not much to contribute since I haven't been riding much.  I have got out about 4 or 5 times since June, but nothing too challenging...I think I'm still trying to get my confidence back after the "big crash".  Last time I went out though, I was most definitely "in the zone" - not a single mistake over my favorite loop, and I was pushing it pretty good.   :evil ;D
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

flexlarson

Im likely going to be hauling the KTM to Moab Dec 26th and stayin till the 4th of January. Ill be meeting up with a buddy from salt lake. Anyone interested let me know.

I could also be persuaded to go down aroung easter time as I like to go the week b4 or after the Jeep safari. ,
"Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. do it.
... it gets harder before it gets hard.... Get up here..

Sportfaller

definitely avoid moab during waster jeep safari.  there will be no camping to be found, and motels book months in advance.  Earlier is better due to weather, it gets hot as hell down there.  There is also great riding over the border in CO. about 30 miles east.

BTW, I hate you all for bringing this up, because now i REALLLY want to go again. ::)
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

jacin theis

well then Sportfaller, come along. It would be fun to ride with you off road this time. This is sounding like a fun trip. lots of potential for group rides, and many options for differant levels. Do i hear a branch group called "Arches Dual Sport Riders"?
1100 GS

Sportfaller

My next question is what are you riding Jacin, your GSA or your WR?  the WR would be exceptional on the trails, our GSA's however... We'd have to be a little more selective on where we go
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

loingrader

It is fun following this thread.  I rode thru the Moab area on my Honda Blackbird in May of 09 with my brother.  Ride report http://dev.dakotadualsportriders.com/smf/index.php?topic=306.0.  I knew that I would be back on a dual sport bike (and hopefully a samurai and a mountain bike too) someday.

Who knows what spring will bring but if it works out I'll ride the KLR out for as long as I can be gone, which I know will not be long enough!

Thanks for the planning Jacin!

-Bret

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

jacin theis

Well, i plan on bringing both. There are too many options to ride. The bigger issue is that i would be really upset if i went that far and broke my bike, knowing the other was in the garge at home. Plus, then i can get a little bit crazy on the WR. My wife sounds like she doesnt want to take the kids that far, so if i can figure out a trailer for the WR behind the GS i might try that. If not i have a long box, crew cab. Carpool anyone? with a trailer on the back i have room for four. I would like to ride out though, so i am up for ideas from anyone. Any REALLY great trails from here to there we cant miss?
1100 GS