News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Moab anyone?

Started by jacin theis, September 19, 2010, 09:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacin theis

So i have been doing a little internet research, and found this place that sounds pretty good. From what i remember of Moab, the location is great. I think that pretty much all the campgrounds are used to loud trucks and cycles. I will call them tommorrow and discuss availability. Did anyone have dates they were really set on?  Per the optimum weather window Snookie gave us, i am looking at the weekends  May 14 or 21. The 21st is getting close to Memorial day, so i am leaning towards the 14th. Speak up! I dont want to hear "if it was a differant weekend i could have made it".  ::)
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

jacin theis

a couple of links:
http://www.moabpowersports.com/custompage2.asp?pg=info
http://www.allmoab.com/off_road/

trying to get you all excited.

Maybe we need a DDSR flag to fly while we're there? 8)
1100 GS

Dratharr

This trip sounds like fun to me, I went out last year in mid-April and had a blast. It would be a lot better/safer to ride in a group, I had fun riding mostly by myself, but those rocks are HARD, and it would be nice to have a safety net. I will have to look up the campground we stayed at, I cant remember the name, but it was really nice, located just south of town. Concerning bike choice, I took a WR250R and it worked out pretty good, it handled all the more scenic/easier trails just fine, however if you want to get into some of the more gnarly stuff, a lighter better suspended bike would be a lot less work. The problem is you really need a plated bike with all the DOT stuff on it to connect the trails, and to ride in the park if you do get stopped they will check you right down to the tires! It all depends on what you want to do there are tons of roads/trails that are a blast on a big DS, but there are also lots of trails that would be a lot more fun on a trail bike, I think the WR was a good compromise, and a KLX would be every bit as good, in fact I rode with a guy on a moded KLX250S up there and he was seriously ripping it up on the slick rock trail, no problems at all. Ideally I would want to take a plated dirt bike, like a 450/250XCW, and a good dual sport WRR/KLR/DRZ/XR... with me if I had a chance to get down there again then, that way you could trailer,or ride the dirt bike to the trailheads of the nasty trails, and still have the dual sport to explore the park and some of the other trails. Please put me down as a maybe.

Wacked

Jacin -

Thanks for your work on this project..... 

5/14 or 21 sound like a nice time of year for Moab!  Unfortunately, I'll be elbow deep into "Graduation" festivities and know for certain that I would not be able to attend these weeks.  If it happened a month earlier, that could work.

All for now...  one vote in.

Wacked

sleddog

My Brother & I spent Thanksgiving week in Moab. The weather didn't cooperate fully. But we did have a good time.

We rode the Sovereign Trail, Gemini Bridges/Bull Canyon & Chicken Corners.

Here's a slideshow

http://s514.photobucket.com/albums/t349/jbackerphotos/Thanksgiving%20in%20Moab/?albumview=slideshow

Sleddog

jacin theis

Thanks Sleddog! those are superior photos. If that doesnt get the group excited, nothing will. there are some nasty looking skys in those shots, plus enough of the white stuff to know you guys are tough. Hope we can get this trip together. i cant wait.
1100 GS

Hank

Great slideshow sleddog.  Thanks for sharing it.

Looks like my kids are in school till May 25ish, so I'm probably out, but either way I wouldn't want anyone planning around my schedule as it changes daily!

Do what works best for the majority!

Wacked

Envious, Envious, Envious - Great Photos - Thats the way to spend Thanksgiving!

Wacked

Sportfaller

I'm still in, may have to look for a different bike though.... the 1200 adv is great for the trip down (did it 2 years ago) but its pretty big for the trails.  Has there been any more discussion about riding down vs trailering?
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

jacin theis

I am still planning to set up a trip. Provided that people stop planning my summer for me (weddings and reunions).   I am still thinking about driving so i can take both the GS and the WR. it would be great to add a couple of folks and bikes to split the cost. Keep me in mind, i will know more after i see how the schedule for a reunion shakes out. Although its the wifes side, i bet they would understand if i missed to ride motorcycles.. ::)
1100 GS

fringefan

Might be interested as well. Easy to ride down and in regards to camping the best thing about Moab or UT and CO in general is there is a ton of free camping and we know a spot no one will regret. Miss the taste of moab sand in my breakfast burrito ;D

Sportfaller

I think the place I camped down there a while ago was called Goose Island or something like that. It was NE of town, just across the bridge and up river. A great little free camp site next to the river, with a beach. There used to be a spot down the road with an old chunk of drill pipe sticking out of a 300 ft cliff with spring water flowing out of it, best water I've ever has, about 40 degrees and straight out of the pipe. I hear they blocked it off over concerns about nitrates in the water. knowing what I feel like after riding all day, I think the moab KOA sounds pretty good, showers, pool and all.
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

JoniJo

Logistics.....logistics.........
I'd really like to make this trip people. However....Moab is about 900 miles/13 hours (via Denver) from Omaha.
I don't want to drive 13 hours by my lonesome. By the time I'd get to Utah, I'd be ready for a 2 day nap.
Does anyone have an idea how I can hook up with someone to make the trip? I'm really open to suggestion.
I have a solid pick-em-up truck and an awesome two (maybe three, depending on the bikes) trailer to add to the adventure.
Your thoughts are appreciated.................  ::)                                           Joni
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

plumber mike

My wife has our only truely reliable/economical 4 wheeled vehicle so I was planning to ride my xcountry there.If nobody else want to "dual sport" out there with me, I'd happily help you lay some miles down on your pickem up truck.

fringefan

Pretty sure I will ride if I can make it but I don't want to stop every few hundred miles to work on that BMW ;D