News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

super tenere

Started by Dr Psyko, October 10, 2010, 05:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Jim

If you guys are all bringing your big bikes, then I am bringing my 2012 Suzuki DRZ 1800.

The Yeti

Quote from: Scoobynut on August 15, 2011, 03:09:25 PM
Quote from: The Yeti on August 15, 2011, 11:57:08 AM
Damn Scooby, that is one beautiful bike! Congrats!

If you bring the Tenere to the rally, I'll bring my GS and we can ride the easy stuff alone.  ;D

Thanks, Yeti.  I'd consider bringing it to the rally, but I will need further clarification on what exactly 'easy stuff' means.  I suspect your definition differs wildly from my own.   ;D

Well, I can't guarantee no drops - but I'm thinking relatively easy two track, similar to Castle Peak campground road or trail 249 (the one leading up to Silver City with the small water crossings at the end)....stuff like that. Believe me, I simply can't do anything more challenging than that on my big pig either - hell, mine has gotta weigh more than yours.  ;D
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Hank

All this talk about taking overweight bikes on easy trails makes me think I should slap some semi-knobbies on my TDM and bring it out!

Scoobynut

You guys, man, oh man.  The plan was to get some crashbars and a skidplate before I take it on the trails with you hooligans, 'cause I know you all will get me out of my comfort zone real fast, especially on that big girl.  Heck, I'm impatient to get it out on the trails a bit myself, but I'm also trying to account for my limited skills and lack of motor protection.  I've already spent $1500 on farkles (some aren't even here yet), and that's before the crashbars and skidplate get ordered.  So bear with me for one more rally on the KLR, and I'll bring Shamu down to the next one after I add some armor over the winter.  Then me and the Yeti will guide the big girls down the, uh, big girl trails...seriously, I'd have no problem riding it on the trails you mentioned come next spring Mr. Yeti.

JoniJo, I got it real dirty and full of bugs on Saturday, rode 390 miles -- and a few mild trails -- so I could finish up the break-in and change the oil (and rear diff oil).  But still, gonna let the credit card cool down a bit before I drop $700 or so on some Alt.rider armor.  Yer double dare has no effect on this fella, ma'am.   ;D

Hank, TDM's are really cool bikes, don't know if you remember Jeff on the GS1150, but he had one and still regrets selling it.  I've also heard rumors in some of the Euro bike rags that Yamaha is considering a TDM-style bike based on the Super Tenere motor and chassis.  That would be a pretty sweet bike for people who don't have a gang of hooligans trying to goad them into off-roading their giant dual-sport... :evil

Scoobynut

Oh, forgot to mention, part of my thinking on taking the KLR is that my 15 year-old son will be riding with us on his (my?) WR250R and I'm going to feel somewhat obligated to hang with the kid.  He's pretty fearless, has been riding gravel roads and open, hilly fields since he was about 10, but doesn't have any real trail experience.  I'll be asking you all to share advice with him when he gets down to the Hills.  He most likely won't listen to me beyond "stay within yourself" type stuff, but he will listen to you guys, especially you guys on WRRs...So be prepared!

greatbuffalo

For all you big bike owners, I'm bringing the Tiger out as that the only bike I got except for the XJ650, which has seen its share of trails......Yup, so bring the Silverwing.
I am looking to stretch my comfort zone next month. I'm healthy now. No broken ribs and my shoulder is healed. Bring it on.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

The Yeti

Well, WRR it is then!   :evil

Sportfaller

I took a 2 week old big bike to moab.... there really is only one good way to break them in.... I hd scratched both sides of my brand new crash bars within 2 hours of being in the desert. shit happens, then some more, then $4,400 later its like new.

Bottom line: I bought it to ride it.
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

loingrader

Quote from: The Yeti on August 15, 2011, 03:03:56 PM
You'd miss Barbie though, wouldn't you??

I would miss barbie and barbie would miss all her friends, but that poor silverwing is my commuter grunt and it would be nice to reward it with some new scenery.

as far as dirt worthiness, my uncle rode silverwings to the arctic ocean back in the early 80s when the haul road was still an adventure.  over 1000 miles of gravel.  he has been up there many times on different bikes but he still says that there is no better bike for that trip than the good ol cx/gl bikes.  on a side note, the distance between fuel stops was so great back then that he had to buy a second gas tank and weld it on top of the factory one to get enough range to make it without pushing.

sorry for getting way off topic.

the tenere is a sweet bike!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Scoobynut

Quote from: Sportfaller on August 16, 2011, 07:40:00 AM
I took a 2 week old big bike to moab.... there really is only one good way to break them in.... I hd scratched both sides of my brand new crash bars within 2 hours of being in the desert. shit happens, then some more, then $4,400 later its like new.

Bottom line: I bought it to ride it.

No doubt about it.  And I don't mind banging up the crashbars, problem being I ain't got any yet -- I'm just not so keen on smashing up the bodywork or that side-mount radiator... ;D  Anywho, like I said, I'm going to be hanging with my kid on his WRR, so KLR it is.

Scoobynut

Quote from: loingrader on August 16, 2011, 02:04:26 PM
Quote from: The Yeti on August 15, 2011, 03:03:56 PM
You'd miss Barbie though, wouldn't you??

I would miss barbie and barbie would miss all her friends, but that poor silverwing is my commuter grunt and it would be nice to reward it with some new scenery.

as far as dirt worthiness, my uncle rode silverwings to the arctic ocean back in the early 80s when the haul road was still an adventure.  over 1000 miles of gravel.  he has been up there many times on different bikes but he still says that there is no better bike for that trip than the good ol cx/gl bikes.  on a side note, the distance between fuel stops was so great back then that he had to buy a second gas tank and weld it on top of the factory one to get enough range to make it without pushing.

sorry for getting way off topic.

the tenere is a sweet bike!

Wow, that's an awesome story about your uncle.  And funny you mention it, I just yesterday acquired an Alaska state map.  Sure would like to head up there next summer.  I guess I'd better figure out how to change a tire on the road.  Man, I'm just such a noob...

greatbuffalo

You don't have to learn new skills as long as you take someone with you that already knows them  ;D
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

jacin theis

i can change a tire on the side of the road. Can i go? Alaska has been at the top of my list along with the road THROUGH Yellowknife.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

The Yeti

I'd be up for an Alaska trip...any idea of how long it would take and how much it would cost?? What time of year is the best to go?

Scoobynut

Great Buffalo:  If you know how to change a tire road-side, you're invited.

Jacin:  If you know how to change a tire road-side, you're invited.  The fact that an AK trip is on your list makes you even more invited.

Mr. Yeti:  No real idea how long it would take, but I'd say give yourself at least a month, and that's a real 'ballpark' figure.  I've already sketched out a route that hits all the high points once you get to AK (Kind of a loop on all the main highways), but it sure would be tempting to go all the way up to Prudhoe Bay on about 500 miles of (really rough) gravel road.  I mean if you're gonna go up there, it would be a shame to not be able to say that you've ridden all the way to the Arctic Ocean, right?  I have a bud who owns a crab boat in Petersburg in the SE part of the state so I thought on the way back down south I'd have to catch the Alaska Marine Highway ferry down to Mitkof Island where Petersburg is located for a few days of gorging myself on nearly free and fresh seafood.  My brief research indicates you're supposed to bring your own tie-down straps for the ferry.  

As to the cost, all the time lost from work would cost me more than the trip itself due to being self-employed, so your equation might be different than mine.  I'm sure there would be a lot of camping -- probably a lot of the primitive variety -- so I would think that your main costs would be fuel, food, and probably the occasional oil and tire change -- I suspect it's a hell of a lot more miles than we've ever contemplated.  Which is all the more reason to do it.  I know not everyone can have this attitude, but my attitude is cost be damned.  I think the better way to look at it is:  how can I not do this if I have the chance? 

Let's do this.  As far as I can tell, this is the only life we get.