News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

super tenere

Started by Dr Psyko, October 10, 2010, 05:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

Changing tires roadside is easy, but no tubeless. You gotta have tubes unless you plan on dragging a high pressure compressor. I made the trip to AK in 1983 on a... get this, Yamaha Virago. I was 19 and very stupid but what a great time. My friend's sister worked for an oil company and got married in Anchorage. That's as far as we got. It was an adventure. My friend put his Yamaha XJ750 in a ditch twice while trying to make way in snow on July 1st between Beaver Creek and Tok. When we got to Tok we held out for a days and considered our sanity. Put the Bikes in a shed and decided to move on on four wheels. We got on a bus and started out. We got 20 miles out of Tok, looked at each other and I said, "I've never quit an ****ing thing in my life and I'm too young to start now." We implored the driver to let us out and hitched back to Tok in the freezing rain. luckily we got a ride in short order. The next day we got our bikes out of the shed, gave each other a man hug, and pressed on. One of the great decisions of my life. My only regret is that the trip was so rushed and I had little to no time to take in what I was doing.

Being young and very stupid, I admit to doing the whole trip, 11,000 miles total, on one oil change. The one I did before I left. Added only 2 quarts the whole trip.

I have thought of doing this again in a different frame of mind with a new view on the whole around me and better head on my shoulders. I'm in! Don't know about next summer but I'm thinking 2013 would be a great year to do it. I've got too many commitments next summer and hope to have a new Tenere ;D or Tiger :evil by that time. I don't think a new adventure bike is in the cards for next year but a smaller dualsport maybe. I don't know if I'd take my present Tiger on such a trip, but............I have done stupider things. :)
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

greatbuffalo

Doing a quick check on Delorme North America its 3,730.93 miles one way from Rapid City to Prudhoe Bay. I understand from reading ride report over the past couple of years, that the haul road to Prudhoe Bay is a walk in the park compared to just 10 to 15 years ago. The mining companies, oil firms and the state have stepped up their maintenance of the highway. There is a window of time but not sure what it is. In the pate spring, our early to mid summer, it's a mess due to frost release. I have read some do it at this time due to much less traffic and the increased challenge.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Hank

I'd be very interested in a trip to AK...    Not sure how much time I could take though in the next few years.

It's definitely on my bucket list.

That's a great adventure GB... great memories I'm sure!     I took a 9 day trip with 2 buddies when I was 19, covered about 4400 miles with absolutely no plan.  Slept on the beach in Cali, on picnic tables in other places.  I think the whole trip cost $300.   

loingrader

a trip to the arctic ocean is also on my list of must do's. 

only thing i don't know is whether to ride the klr or the gl650.  whenever i go, my brother is coming too and he has a klr and gl650.  he wants to ride the silverwings, i want to ride the klr's.

for anyone considering the trip, checkout the milepost book. 

http://milepost.com/

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Dr Psyko

I wish you guys would stop talking about trips like this, keeps me up at night!

I've never made a trip like this and have always wanted to. My folks made an attempt back in the mid 70's with a motor home, and got stranded on a 10 mile section of the Alaskan Highway when a major rain washed out the bridges both in front of them and behind. I think they were on that chunk for a week before a bulldozer got to them...
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

torgo

Hey, I'm in Alaska right now.  I work on the North Slope, usually a 4 week on two week off rotation.  Actually I have to take a 4 mile boat ride to the island we are building a new oil production unit on.  Temps right now are in the low mid 40's to 50's and rainy.  I did the Dust to Dawson run this year and it was a total blast.  If you are coming to AK think about hitting the D2D Rally. 

Alaska is a nice place to visit but not much of a summer to ride.  That is why I commute.

I have done the Haul Road 3 times in a truck and really I have no desire to do it on a bike.  Really boring if you ask me.  Now one thing on my bucket list is the Canol Road in Canada.  One day I will do it on my way to the D2D Rally.

Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Bogus Jim

Well Scoobynut, how was the BMW rally in Red Lodge? I imagine your Super Tenere cruises down the Interstate a bit more comfortably than the WRR.

I was at the local dealer in Rapid today and a happy new S10 owner rode away as I was leaving. They've sold 3. Sturgis dealer had a couple S10's on the floor last time I was there, but I think they're down to one now.

Scoobynut

Hey everyone, sorry so slow to respond -- I've been busy as hell at work since I got back from Red Lodge.  Had some fun (road only) rides at the BMW rally.  The bike was a hit; there were little crowds gathered around it all weekend.  Some guys even came looking for me, 'the owner of the Super Tenere' lol.  On the downside, I got mauled by a spider (or spiders) the first night in the tent.  Woke up with about 70 bites all over my person.

I changed the oil and the rear diff. fluid at 550 on the odo before the trip, up to about 1700 now -- all broken in, but still seems to be loosening up and gaining power and smoothness as the miles pass. 

Rode home at about 90 mph indicated most of the way, probably a true 82 or 83mph.  Had it up north of 100 mph a few times passing cars on the 2-lanes.  The thing is just a torque factory.

I enjoyed reading everyone's Alaska tales; now that would be an epic trip.  We ought to do it one of these years.  Let's just not invite any spiders along.   >:(