News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

22 cent mod and slide drilling

Started by Dustin, August 16, 2008, 10:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dustin

I just did the 22 cent mod, drilled out the slide hole to a 7/64 and adjusted the pilot screw 1 3/4 turns. Man did it make a huge difference!!!  :) My bike has started kinda hard since I got it, but now it fires at the push of a button. It also has a lot better response. I would recommend this mod to anyone!!

I have four #4 brass washers and the drill bit if any one wants to do the mod. ;D

Here's the KLR.net thread http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41112

Jared

Yeah I'm interested in doing this for sure.  I'm only getting 42mpg so I think I could use some tuning.

Dustin

I'm not sure it does much for fuel mileage but it will definitely improve throttle response and starting.

Jared

Speaking of pilot screws, fringefan now that you've got that different muffler on there you might need to adjust the screw.  I remember when reading about that mod, that stock exhaust takes a diff amount of turns than aftermarket.

fringefan

Been messing with that. I have to swap this exhaust out for another one with a baffle in it. Should be done today.

If anyone is interested in trying the one I have they can have it for $20.00.

Hank

Chad one thing you might want to be a little careful about is having a forestry approved spark arrester, especially for riding in the Hills.  I think you can get kicked out and/or fined without one, and even worse, if you were to start a fire without one you can be held liable.   Not a concern this year, but other years it really could be.

When I bought my KTM they had a set of Akropovic cans they wanted to sell me DAMN cheap because they were an accidental double order (those things cost 1000/pair retail), but I passed them up because they had no spark arrestor stamp.  I bought the FMF's I have instead, which aren't nearly as cool, but they are the only ones I could find that have the stamp.   YMMV!

fringefan

Been thinking how to get one of those. The new exhaust is about as loud as a stock one or close to it though so no more ear plugs for the guys behinds me ;)

LittleJacket

I did the 22 cent smilemaker mod and things got a little hairy!  It's taken a while to find the fine tuning point as my fuel mileage was initially shot!  I got only 35 mpg on the DDSR Rally in June.  I have since turned my fuel screw back to make it run a little leaner at 75mph and it seems to run good now, but my mpg is still a little down.  Power does seem to be improved though.  Be careful when you adjust your fuel mixture screw.  My bike topped out around 80 mph when I had it running too rich.  Your KLR should top out around 100 mph if adjusted right.
rpjohnso

Dustin

Yea I think mine is adjusted a little rich right now. Last two tanks of gas I got 44 mpg. I can't hit 100 mph only about 90. But it starts really well and idles great. Ryan how many turns out is your needle? Mine is 1 3/4.

fringefan

I have mine turned in more than it is supposed to because the the mpg drop I got with the first tractor muffler. I have not had to fill up since I put the newer tractor muffler on but it sure does sound better ;D

LittleJacket

Quote from: Dustin on September 13, 2008, 06:16:03 PM
Yea I think mine is adjusted a little rich right now. Last two tanks of gas I got 44 mpg. I can't hit 100 mph only about 90. But it starts really well and idles great. Ryan how many turns out is your needle? Mine is 1 3/4.

I honestly don't remember exactly how many turns out I am.  I think I'm around 1 or so.  I used 2 #4 washers from lowes like I was told, but didn't check the thickness.  Maybe my bike is running rich because of the washer thickness being a little much, causing the fuel screw to be turned out a little less.  I messed with it so many times I forgot what my last setting was, but the bike seems to run pretty darn nice now.  I haven't had a chance to do any side by side racing down the highway yet to know if it's perfect, but it seems to race around town very well.

Before the mod, I was getting around 48-50 mpg, and I'm a big guy.  Now it seems that I'm getting low 40's, but not real sure yet.  I havn't tried removing 1 of the washers yet due to my headache.

Are you going to be in the hills this weekend?
rpjohnso

Dustin

Quote from: LittleJacket on September 14, 2008, 09:28:01 PM
Are you going to be in the hills this weekend?

Yep, I'll be riding out with Jason on thursday.

My main needle is shimmed with one brass washer (.024). Two shims might be a cause of poor fuel economy.
I don't think messing with the pilot screw will change fuel economy much since it only controls the amount of fuel at idle and just above idle.  ???

fringefan

Ryan I have heard that your year klr in that color scheme is naturally a slower bike  ;D

Dustin

Quote from: fringefan on September 15, 2008, 05:44:03 PM
Ryan I have heard that your year klr in that color scheme is naturally a slower bike  ;D

If thats the case then that would explain my slow bike too  ;D Ryan you have a green/silver one right?  ???

loingrader

the green and silver ones are pretty butch, but notoriously slow.

barbie klr's are where it's at.  sexy and 3.7 extra horsepower from the pink lettering. 

i know you guys are jealous...
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro