News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Some thoughts on "Pacing"

Started by The Yeti, August 18, 2008, 04:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

Hey all,

Although I had a great time last Saturday riding with a all of you, I feel the need to comment on the "pace".

Now, I know I'm not obligated to keep up with the front-runner's pace and should "ride my own ride", but no matter how many times I tell myself that, I feel like the "slow-poke", "old-fart", "chicken-shit", etc. if I don't keep up. This invariably ends in me riding over my head, pushing harder than I really feel comfortable with.

A couple of times last Saturday I was leading the crew and felt the whole time that I was holding everyone up, again leading to me trying to push harder than I felt comfortable with. If I was trailing, I didn't want everyone to have to wait for me at every turn, so I would push harder (although, I was always still quite a ways behind the next guy).

On Sunday, I went out for a solo ride, and found myself taking a much more leisurely pace, and still enjoying the ride (maybe even more so because I wasn't worried about crashing every 2 minutes). Maybe I am just a wuss, but I kinda enjoy the slower, more sedate pace than flying through the forest, not being able to take in anything but the trail in front of me...don't get me wrong, I enjoy speed as much as the next guy, I just think that on bigger group rides we need to set some rules before-hand, or at least discuss the "pace" of the ride.

Maybe just a small discussion before-hand on "ride your own ride", "faster riders up front, slower riders in the back", "make sure to keep the guy behind you in your mirrors", etc.

All that being said, the faster pace did help me learn some new techniques, trust the bike more, and I find myself more comfortable at a faster speed than before...so it's not all bad.  ;D  Maybe I should just shut-up and ride!

Anyway, got my flame retardant suit on, fire away!   8)
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Jared

Mmm, good points.  Sat was my first time riding in a group, and I had meant to ask about group etiquette stuff but it slipped my mind.

Maybe have radios, or perhaps just a "stop at every non-obvious turn" custom?

fringefan

I never want any one to feel they have to keep up or that they are too slow because that is not the case. I would rather stop and wait so every one can ride at their pace. A group ride is supposed to be fun and not a contest to see who is the fastest or if you can loose the guy behind you.

I have only been riding a ds for  a year so I am far from the best rider but I am confident in my ability. I also know Brians ability so one of us usually takes up the rear incase another rider needs help. Everyone wants to keep up with the guy in front but that is not always possible so everyone needs to ride within their limits. When we are on the gravel or on the road I can't keep up with the KTM's because those handle too good and are too fast but in the technical stuff our little bikes can shine. I think you keep an eye on the guy in front first and then keep an eye on the guy behind. In my opinion the guy in back should be one of the guys you are less likely to worry about and one that can be there to help.

I think a meeting before hand is a great idea and don't worry about getting heat you are right to bring it up.

The Yeti

Quote from: fringefan on August 18, 2008, 10:44:16 PM
I have only been riding a ds for  a year...

Seriously?! Impressive, Chad!

A few points I've gathered from my limited experience with group riding and from ADVRider:

PRE-RIDE BRIEFING: Let the less experienced riders know that it's OK to ride at their own pace, cover basic rules, customs, hand signals, etc.

SPEAK UP: if you're having a problem, be it speed, difficulty with the terrain, feel tired or just not well, SPEAK UP.

DON'T RIDE WAY OVER YOUR HEAD: I'm not saying don't push the envelope a bit, that's how we get to be better riders, but be realistic.

GROUPING: When riding with larger groups, try to break up into smaller groups of 5-6 riders each, with at least one more experienced rider in each group.

YOU'RE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE RIDER BEHIND YOU: Keep their headlight in your mirrors if you can, if you haven't seen him in a couple minutes, slow down, if you haven't seen him in a couple more minutes, turn around and look CAREFULLY.

LEAD & SWEEP: More experienced riders should be in the lead & sweep positions. They should rotate the lead & sweep positions so as not to get bored.

FASTER UP FRONT, SLOWER TO THE BACK: This allows the faster riders to stretch their legs a bit without being held up by the slower, less experienced riders, with frequent stops thrown in to allow the slower guys to catch up.

SPACING: 2-4 seconds is the optimum spacing from the bike in front of you. If he happens to go down or needs to stop suddenly, you want enough time to react and not run the poor guy over!

PUSHING: If you find yourself behind a rider that's going at a considerably slower pace, try to stay further back until there's an opportunity to pass. If you follow too close, the slower rider may try to push beyond his limits as he thinks he's holding you up.

PASSING: Do not pass unless the rider you're passing knows it's coming. Either wait to be waved by, or wait for the next stop. Flashing of high-beams should be considered a signal the rider behind you wants to pass.

COMMUNICATE: At each stop, allow time after the last guy pulls up in case there is anything that needs to be communicated, can be just a quick thumbs-up from everyone, then take off for the next leg.

Stay hydrated and fed and, oh yeah, if you bring snacks, make sure you bring enough for everyone!   ;D

We all want to be safe and have fun, but the safest rides aren't that much fun and the fun rides, not that safe...finding a balance is the key, I think...

Here's some pretty funny-ass hand signal animations!   ;D

http://njmc.org/etiquette/

Jared

The Yeti

Quote from: AquaTop on August 25, 2008, 04:03:09 AM
'nother thread on the topic -- http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43577

Good thread, but this was the best tip I saw:

QuoteWhen riding in a group through a town, I pull up beside the guy ahead of me while waiting at a stoplight. When the opposing light turns yellow, quickly, but smoothly reach over, turn his key to "Off", remove said key, and ride off.
Hilarity ensues.

This method can be a little tricky, and you may need to know the guy pretty well, so you don't get your azz kicked.
Start slowly, by just slapping his kill switch just before he starts off.
Ride away quickly.

;D ;D ;D

Jared

lol yeah that's a good one.  One of my friends did that to another buddy while they were having a race.  They're even with each other, racing along, he reaches over ... *CLICK* ... ya if someone did that to me while I was moving I'd probably wet myself. ;D

OOFDA

Ride a Bultaco - Then you only have one speed, PLOD.

OOFDA