News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

KLR valve job

Started by sdguy, January 24, 2011, 11:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdguy

It is time for me to either do or have done the valves on my KLR.  I am pretty mechanical inclided, but have limited experience on motorcyles.  I don't have the actuall shop manuals either.  I am looking for some suggestion on who would be the best to do the work.  I had a pretty negative experience with the local shop on some stuff and honestly don't trust them. 

Thanks

Black Hawk

Black Hawk SD in the summer
Yuma AZ in the winter

KLE650 for the Black Hills

loingrader

i assume you are just saying that you need to check the valve clearances and change shims if necessary?

do it yourself.  lots of online info will make it easy even without the shop manual.

as long as you have a torque wrench, a feeler gauge, some patience and the ability to follow directions, you will be fine.

if you are doing a valve job i.e. refurbishing the valves, guides, etc to restore compression, i'd find a shop to do it!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

sdguy

sorry, yes all I need to do is check the clearance and shim if necessary.. thanks for the feedback.

loingrader

If you get in a pinch, let us know.  Many of us have the factory service manual and have done this to our bikes ourselves.

With the online references like this one...

http://www.klr650.marknet.us/valves.html

the factory service manual is not necessary.

You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

If everything is still in spec it is REALLY easy.  I think it took me 25 minutes start to finish to check clearance on my DRZ.
It gets a bit more complicated if you need to make an adjustment, but its still not too bad on a thumper.