News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Pre or Post Rally trip

Started by Osnabrock, February 26, 2011, 02:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osnabrock

I'm entertaining the thought of stretching my trip to the June rally.  I'm thinking of spending a little bit of time exploring Eastern WY while I'm out that direction, specifically the Bighorn Mountains.  I've passed through and liked what I saw but didn't have any time to spend there.
I'm thinking of spending about 5 days taking in the sights before or after the rally.  
Is anyone interested in joining me?  
Does anyone have any suggestions for places to visit in the Bighorns, or en route?
-John
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Bogus Jim

I might be interesting in tagging along. I've done some hiking in the Bighorns but not a dual-sport trip. I'm sure there are enough trails in that area to keep a guy entertained for 3-4 days.

Osnabrock

Cool.
I'm hoping to maybe take in a little hiking when I'm there too.  Maybe Cloud Peak.
I was thinking of finding a place that would serve as a home base and explore from there with day trips.

fringefan

Camped not far from Cloud peak on a two track that heads north from the highway right after you round a few switch back corners. That was a free spot that even had a nice pit for an illegal fire but on the leagal side there is a great lake just up the road with nice sites and if you wake early enough you might spot a moose in the clearing across the lake. Few miles down the road there is a little cabin place to get gas, beer, food, ect. Down side to the bighorns is much of it is closed off to wheeled travel.

Osnabrock

I'll have to take those notes down.  Thanks for the info, both the good and the bad.
I was out that direction a few years ago and heard from a few locals that there was some Bureau of Land Management supervised areas that were pretty fun.  They said you could ride all the way into Montana and never see any sort of paved roads.  If memory serves me correctly, it may have been a little farther West than the Bighorns.
I'll be doing a little more research in the next few weeks and months and set up a better plan.